French Quarter and Riverside

Raxel7851

Original Poster
Does anyone have an idea why they’re not opening The French Quarter or Riverside? These hotels were recently renovated so I don’t think that would be the reason.

Ben_since_1971

I think if you look at the resorts that will be opening, most (I think AKL is the exception) have access to two transportation options to the parks, buses and a combination of gondola, monorail, boat, or walking (Boardwalk area). Less total reliance on bus transportation lessens slightly strain on what will already be a difficult bus situation.

ETA - Coronado as well, but Coronado is booked up with the NBA through October. With Coronado and CBR as moderates open, no need to open PO with anticipated demand.

Jon81uk

I hope Ye Haa Bob comes back, once POR re-opens.

I would not expect any shows, parade, fireworks or anything that encourages large groups in close proximity for the remainder of 2020.
Imagine all those people packed into that bar, potentially singing along breathing virus on each other.

muddyrivers

After 9/11 when there was a downturn in tourists visiting, Port Orleans Riverside and I believe French Quarter too also were closed until numbers started coming back up. I'm sure Disney dusted off their plans from post 9/11 to figure out what resorts should open now after the pandemic.

jaklgreen

I doubt that they will open this year. I had to move my POFQ stay in October to one of the ones listed as opening. POFQ especially will not hold enough people to justify opening it. It's a shame, its been several years since I have stayed there and was looking forward to going back. But, on the bright side, I got moved to Boardwalk which is on the list of one of the resorts that I have not stayed at yet. Plus walking to Epcot is a big bonus.

StarshipDisney

I was on MDE recently and looking at 2021 vacation packages. You cannot get a vacation package quote at POR or FQ in September 2021...or at least it would not show any availability for any room type when I tried. So I guess these resorts are out of play for awhile.

Coronado Springs came up fine.

JIMINYCR

Until Disney gets a handle on park capacity, how the intake of guests to the parks are handled, and see a non-covid response, its to their advantage to restrict the numbers which means shutting off reservations to certain resorts. Cost wise, the less CM's to staff, less areas to disinfect/clean, less transportation needs and other issues to handle, it benefits them. As things change they will open up more and more resorts.

Herdman

I doubt that they will open this year. I had to move my POFQ stay in October to one of the ones listed as opening. POFQ especially will not hold enough people to justify opening it. It's a shame, its been several years since I have stayed there and was looking forward to going back. But, on the bright side, I got moved to Boardwalk which is on the list of one of the resorts that I have not stayed at yet. Plus walking to Epcot is a big bonus.
You say you "had" to move - did Disney contact you to move? I chatted with a cast member yesterday who said that they would contact me as our October date approached to move if we needed to. She couldn't say for sure whether POFQ would be open or not at this point.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
You say you "had" to move - did Disney contact you to move? I chatted with a cast member yesterday who said that they would contact me as our October date approached to move if we needed to. She couldn't say for sure whether POFQ would be open or not at this point.
It's not on the list of resorts opening that goes through October 14th.

Raxel7851

Original Poster
So when you rebooked to Boardwalk, did you have to pay the difference or did they comp you? Many people have written that if you request a move, you pay the difference. If Disney contacts you, then they will comp the move.

jaklgreen

I have received no communication from Disney other then I could make my park reservations. I called last Tuesday and got a hold of someone and said that my resort will be closed and asked if I will be moved. The cast member put me on hold for a while and said that POFQ will still be closed my travel dates and asked if I wanted to stay at CBR or Boardwalk. That was a no brainer.

jaklgreen

So when you rebooked to Boardwalk, did you have to pay the difference or did they comp you? Many people have written that if you request a move, you pay the difference. If Disney contacts you, then they will comp the move.

I did not have to pay the difference since POFQ is not going to be open. I think I got my move in before they figured out that they were upgrading everyone and forced cast members to only make lateral moves. I did tell the cast member that I do not think that CBR is comparable to POFQ. We have stayed at CBR a few times over the years and have had bad experienced there and refuse to stay there again.

ppete1975

I think if you look at the resorts that will be opening, most (I think AKL is the exception) have access to two transportation options to the parks, buses and a combination of gondola, monorail, boat, or walking (Boardwalk area). Less total reliance on bus transportation lessens slightly strain on what will already be a difficult bus situation.

ETA - Coronado as well, but Coronado is booked up with the NBA through October. With Coronado and CBR as moderates open, no need to open PO with anticipated demand.
THIS!! riverside is my favorite.. but outside of the bus... (which will be much lower capacity), youd have to drive or call an uber… sure a boat can take you to Disney springs.. but as far as he parks there isn't the gondolas there isn't monorail.. so makes sense it wouldn't open till later

Herdman

I have received no communication from Disney other then I could make my park reservations. I called last Tuesday and got a hold of someone and said that my resort will be closed and asked if I will be moved. The cast member put me on hold for a while and said that POFQ will still be closed my travel dates and asked if I wanted to stay at CBR or Boardwalk. That was a no brainer.
Interesting because the cast member I talked to said it could still be open when we visit. I guess we'll see if they contact me to change

Herdman

It's not on the list of resorts opening that goes through October 14th.
I understand that as of now, but the cast member I chatted with said it still could be open by late October. I think Disney's statement said they were monitoring the need to possibly open more resorts. I guess we'll see if Disney contacts me.

pbrsaau

Likewise - same scenario - trip planned 10/24-10/31

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom