FREE ICE COLD WATER at Disney and all Parks

DisneyConstruction23

Original Poster
I am not sure if this has been posted before, but I just learned of this last year. Never pay for water again.......If you go to any location that has a soda fountain, they will give you a free normal size cup (as if it was a soda) for free with ice. I tend to just bring in an empty bottle of water and go right to any place with a soda dispenser. This is also true at Seaworld and any other Locations. It is illegal for them to not give you water. So yeah DO NOT ever pay for a bottle of water again. If this was common knowledge, I must have missed the boat lol. Hopefully I was able to help someone though.

Lucky

This has been discussed before here. The problem isn't that people didn't know about this, but that many people dislike the taste of Florida water. Ice helps mask the bad taste, and I don't mind it so much. To me, it's better than paying $3 or $4 for bottled water. But not everyone agrees.

edit: By "this" I meant WDW's practice of providing free tap water on request (not that they're required to - I believe Flynnibus is right about that).

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
It is illegal for them to not give you water. So yeah DO NOT ever pay for a bottle of water again.

Not so - it's a courtesy. Most places don't publicize it to avoid fanning the abuse that always comes with it.. where people fill their water cup up with soda.. oops! :rolleyes: Plus, they don't want to publicize what effectively takes away a sale.

Health code limits come in when it comes to a place filling a used container.. so they will typically let you fill up, give you a cup, or charge for a cup. What they opt to do.. depends on the business.

DisneyConstruction23

Original Poster
I could of swore it was illegal to not provide water for free (if you have a tap) but I may be wrong on that fact lol.....I just do the construction part of disney, not all the legal aspects. ;)

Rob562

The size of the cup is not consistent across all locations, either. It's been split about 50/50 between the regular and the large soda cups, and one time at the Lotus Blossom Cafe in China they only gave me a kid's soda cup of water.

And as mentioned by the OP, the key is to make sure you're asking at a location with a soda dispenser. Don't bother asking at the outdoor carts that only sell bottled drinks.

-Rob

disney4life2008

The size of the cup is not consistent across all locations, either. It's been split about 50/50 between the regular and the large soda cups, and one time at the Lotus Blossom Cafe in China they only gave me a kid's soda cup of water.

And as mentioned by the OP, the key is to make sure you're asking at a location with a soda dispenser. Don't bother asking at the outdoor carts that only sell bottled drinks.

-Rob

Fish and Chips is large cup.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I could of swore it was illegal to not provide water for free (if you have a tap) but I may be wrong on that fact lol.....I just do the construction part of disney, not all the legal aspects. ;)

I know here if you are purchasing food from any type of Dine In establishment they are required to provide free tap water upon request. Some establishments here especially quick service types try to 'misunderstand' your request and attempt to sell you a bottle of water. But this law here is for when you purchase a meal or snack, even ice cream, I'm not sure what Florida laws are.

Health codes would not allow you to refill a water bottle, but in reality the refill mug Disney sells IMHO is no better or worse.

CheshireCat12

I can vouch for the fact that they DO give you free tap water at soda fountains. I have gotten free water in every park. A lifesaver in the middle of the humid summer!

Gabe1

Health code limits come in when it comes to a place filling a used container.. so they will typically let you fill up, give you a cup, or charge for a cup. What they opt to do.. depends on the business.

I've always had this concern with refill mugs. On ships they always tell you to use a fresh cup.
DCLBlog_DSC_9978_Disney-Magic-Drink-Station-October-2011.jpg

Last edited:

Gabe1

Yes, that is why Disney puts wash stations out in the resorts where they use the refillable mugs... not that many use them :/

No they don't and I try hard not to think about it. Those wash stations were not always there. I remember for years washing those mugs in the bathroom sink at the resort, that too bothered me on so many levels, ewe.

disney4life2008

I've always had this concern with refill mugs. On ships they always tell you to use a fresh cup.
DCLBlog_DSC_9978_Disney-Magic-Drink-Station-October-2011.jpg

I approach anything open such as fountains and buffets that there is a risk associated. However, there is just as much a risk when you are being served. You have no idea what goes on in the kitchens.

Gabe1

I approach anything open such as fountains and buffets that there is a risk associated. However, there is just as much a risk when you are being served. You have no idea what goes on in the kitchens.

Well sure, there is risk in everything, we will all die, so goes the saying...but those mugs are icky, you see the half filled beverage in the mug and it getting topped off, it goes beyond an apparent risk.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I am not sure if this has been posted before, but I just learned of this last year. Never pay for water again.......If you go to any location that has a soda fountain, they will give you a free normal size cup (as if it was a soda) for free with ice. I tend to just bring in an empty bottle of water and go right to any place with a soda dispenser. This is also true at Seaworld and any other Locations. It is illegal for them to not give you water. So yeah DO NOT ever pay for a bottle of water again. If this was common knowledge, I must have missed the boat lol. Hopefully I was able to help someone though.
It is a matter of state law, to clarify.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
This has been discussed before here. The problem isn't that people didn't know about this, but that many people dislike the taste of Florida water. Ice helps mask the bad taste, and I don't mind it so much. To me, it's better than paying $3 or $4 for bottled water. But not everyone agrees.

edit: By "this" I meant WDW's practice of providing free tap water on request (not that they're required to - I believe Flynnibus is right about that).
It's all mental. The water fountains are municipal water, but the stuff that comes out of the soda fountains is carbon filtered (just like the Dasani in your hand).

Gabe1

It's all mental. The water fountains are municipal water, but the stuff that comes out of the soda fountains is carbon filtered (just like the Dasani in your hand).

What is mental?

I can drink the resort water so it has to go through some type of filter at the resorts and not at the parks. We use to have horrid municipal water where I live and it was disgusting to drink or even make coffee from. Our town merged with many other towns and brought in water from a local lake, which tastes 100% better, both old and new water were/are municipal water.

Think Via Napoli, they import water for the pizza crust, they won't even use Disney's water.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
What is mental?

I can drink the resort water so it has to go through some type of filter at the resorts and not at the parks. We use to have horrid municipal water where I live and it was disgusting to drink or even make coffee from. Our town merged with many other towns and brought in water from a local lake, which tastes 100% better, both old and new water were/are municipal water.

Think Via Napoli, they import water for the pizza crust, they won't even use Disney's water.
Yeah, they import it from Pennsylvania. They also import their flour and their tomatoes (among other things)...and cause you to pay a heck of a lot more because..."it's imported, right?"

Water is water is water. The taste comes from a variety of factors, not all of which are centrally controlled.

But, the fact is, when you drink Dasani, which was my example, not Perrier, you are drinking the local municipal water which has been carbon filtered, in a very similar way (but larger systems) to what happens when you get water out of the water spigot on a soda fountain.

All water is treated and filtered, the question is how and how much.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom