Fox Properties at Disney parks

Jon81uk

Some helpful info about the Simpsons and Universal

There is probably a reasonable likelihood of the Simpsons ride going away just because the hardware is so old. But I don't think the fast food area would go so easily.
But there is no chance of the Simpsons characters leaving Universal before the contract ends.

Jon81uk

It's barely 10 years old. Star Tours is similar tech and is still there after 30 years.

The Simpsons Ride? the technology is almost 30 years old as it opened as Back to the Future the Ride in 1991. The Simpsons movie replaced BTTF in 2007 so is around 12 years old. So if they have a 20 year license, not only will the tech be coming up to 40 years old, the actual movie shown will be 20 years old.

To compare, yes Star Tours is 30 years old too and the upgrade was done about 8 years ago, with many subsequent additions to the content too. I also wouldn't be surprised to see the ride gone in another 20 years, or at least another movie change.

AshaNeOmah

The Simpsons Ride? the technology is almost 30 years old as it opened as Back to the Future the Ride in 1991. The Simpsons movie replaced BTTF in 2007 so is around 12 years old. So if they have a 20 year license, not only will the tech be coming up to 40 years old, the actual movie shown will be 20 years old.

To compare, yes Star Tours is 30 years old too and the upgrade was done about 8 years ago, with many subsequent additions to the content too. I also wouldn't be surprised to see the ride gone in another 20 years, or at least another movie change.

I never rode BttF. Are the ride vehicles the same? Just the IMAX screens are new? If so, I get it now.

The Grand Inquisitor

Original Poster
If there was a Fox IP to add to any Disney Park which one would you guys want? I would love a Night at the Museum dark ride like Mystic Manor at Hollywood Studios. Maybe a Alien shooter ride to replace Space ranger Spin.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Night at the Museum should be a mini-land. A family coaster (like Mummy), a Mystic Manor like ride, a restaurant in the main hall, outdoor climb-on playground, and a big interior lobby with queues for all the rides and restaurant. It would be fine for DHS, though it would be the third LPS there. Or, it can be in World Nature (if it's a Museum of Natural History).

Cmdr_Crimson

There is probably a reasonable likelihood of the Simpsons ride going away just because the hardware is so old. But I don't think the fast food area would go so easily.
But there is no chance of the Simpsons characters leaving Universal before the contract ends.
And yet Myrtle Beach also has a Simpsons 4D attraction and Kwick E Mart...
Simpsons-in-4D_Night-Exterior.jpg

Magenta Panther

EFF Fox properties at Disney parks. I just read about the Fantasy Springs expansion at Tokyo. CHRIST, why does Tokyo get all the good stuff while the U.S. parks build junk like lame dingy boring Star Wars land and cheap-looking Toy Story "Land"? Why does Iger have such contempt for U.S. citizens? Well, back at ya, cement-head! I couldn't be happier that his cynical, greedy expectations for Star Bores in the parks have backfired. Serves him right. I want Fantasy Springs HERE. The idea that I'd have to travel all the way to Japan to see what a Disney park could and SHOULD be makes me want to hurl. At least the underwhelming reaction to SW Land proves that Iger can't rely on the good will that was built up before his tenure. It's finally happening, I hope - he's truly stumbled this time, he and his toady Chapek. It's past time for new leadership, and for God's sake can we PLEASE have someone in charge who LIKES Classic Disney and doesn't feel like he/she have to snap up old played-out junk to keep the parks/studios going? A U.S. Fantasy Springs would be a HUGE hit and is what Disney Parks fans REALLY want. Not tacky superheroes and space franchises in which all of the good characters are dead. We can only hope...

Tom P.

I want to see a remake of Aliens with Minnie Mouse taking on the role of Ripley.

No, seriously, I really don't have much interest in Fox properties going into the parks. There are a few that might work, like Ice Age perhaps, but generally I think they should just be kept out.

doctornick

It's been mentioned before, but if the ever added a Russia pavilion to Epcot, featuring Anastasia there would be a no brainer. People already think it is a Disney movie.

BrianLo

I'd look to how prominently the Fox purchase features in Disney+ (the public facing reason they bought it) to see how much Disney thinks it enmeshes with "the brand".

Not that there lacked value in the purchase, but just because they bought it does not prioritize it over better, more appropriate, under-utilized things they already own.

For every mention of Ice Age or Rio or Anastasia's, Disney is sitting on Zootopia, Jungle Book, Coco, Moana's, Inside Outs and many other arguably better properties. Including quite the animated renaissance slew.

The decision that drove Avatar is also from a different era of Disney. Current Disney does not seemingly lack options as the new tentpole king. Ironically the only thing the Fox purchase really makes more likely, is more of what they already had (Avatar).

BlakeW39

There isn't a FOX property that would translate well to a theme park. Animated films are a no-go because they're never as good as Disney films. The rest just don't translate at all; Planet of the Apes is a stretch. Avatar should remain the sole representation. However I'm not sayibg this because of some snobbiness... unlike a comment than reminds me why we should have a dislike function 🙄

EFF Fox properties at Disney parks. I just read about the Fantasy Springs expansion at Tokyo. CHRIST, why does Tokyo get all the good stuff while the U.S. parks build junk like lame dingy boring Star Wars land and cheap-looking Toy Story "Land"? Why does Iger have such contempt for U.S. citizens? Well, back at ya, cement-head! I couldn't be happier that his cynical, greedy expectations for Star Bores in the parks have backfired. Serves him right. I want Fantasy Springs HERE. The idea that I'd have to travel all the way to Japan to see what a Disney park could and SHOULD be makes me want to hurl. At least the underwhelming reaction to SW Land proves that Iger can't rely on the good will that was built up before his tenure. It's finally happening, I hope - he's truly stumbled this time, he and his toady Chapek. It's past time for new leadership, and for God's sake can we PLEASE have someone in charge who LIKES Classic Disney and doesn't feel like he/she have to snap up old played-out junk to keep the parks/studios going? A U.S. Fantasy Springs would be a HUGE hit and is what Disney Parks fans REALLY want. Not tacky superheroes and space franchises in which all of the good characters are dead. We can only hope...

come on man. Alarmist much? Look, I have never seen a Star Wars film. I am not a fan of the franchise. And I do feel jealous of Tokyo in some ways. But Star Wars land is a good land. A great land. And seeing as it is easily one of the most beloved pieces of art in modern history let alone most popular films, a great land such as it is perfect for DHS. Not that it can't get better... but we still get good stuff in the U.S. to this day. Pandora for example. Understand that Tokyo had to be built from scratch, the parks over here are much older and have much older attractions that are often not as elaborate.

rd805

This is quite possibly one of the most overblown posts i've ever seen on this board.

Janir

I would rather Disney sell the rights to universal in exchange for the marvel theme park rights. The Simpsons fit better at Universal than Disney.
That be a deal they could make work. We'll sell you all of the Simpsons you can resell to whomever to you want to stream with and the parks use rights etc... and you give us back all of the Marvel properties rights, parks movies etc plus or minus $$ as needed to balance out the IP trade.
Then they just have the Spiderman/Fantastic 4 and Sony to deal with.

Last edited:

ppete1975

there was an obscure movie in the 70's
See the source image

outside of that maybe a ride that shows several characters or movies.... thinkroger rabbit (tons of mishmash characters all together, not the actual movie) or something like gmr where there are diff scenes. Maybe a show, m&g or one off thing is quite possible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom