FOX Acquisition Could mean Deadpool, Rio,Night at the Museum, Independence Day, Alien, Ice Age, Titanic, Planet of the apes in parks

Joeamc

Original Poster
I was wondering what everyone thinks the fox acquisition and its franchises/ properties really means for the parks and future attractions. There are so many 21st Century FOX Movies/Interlectual properties that can now be used. Some of which I mentioned in the Post title being Deadpool,Alien, Night at the museum, Die hard, Ice age, Predator, Terminator, titanic, and so many others. Thoughts??

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Deadpool is associated with the X-Men. His theme park rights in Orlando belong to Universal and his theme park rights in California came to Disney in the Marvel acquisition. Fox has absolutely nothing to do with it. Disney could have already been using him in California if they wanted to. They don't.

Die Hard, Predator, and Terminator (and Deadpool for that matter) are insanely violent and hard-R and have no place in a Disney Park.

They had Alien. They ripped it out.

Ice Age is poor quality compared to loads of existing Disney IP that already has minimal theme park presence.

Titanic is a real life tragedy in which 1,500 people were killed. No.

CaptainAmerica

Do you think Disney Spent $71.3 BILLION DOLLARS on Fox NOT to use any of their Properties?
The theme parks have almost zero to do with the this acquisition. This acquisition was about the studios, i.e. buying a content factory to fuel Disney+.

The only Parks consideration that's relevant is that they no longer have to pay Cameron for the Avatar license.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The theme parks have almost zero to do with the this acquisition. This acquisition was about the studios, i.e. buying a content factory to fuel Disney+.

The only Parks consideration that's relevant is that they no longer have to pay Cameron for the Avatar license.

Quoting because I can't 'Like' this more than once. :D Not that a little forum searching wouldn't have eliminated the need for this thread altogether...

And I'd wager that the theme parks had even less than almost zero to do with the acquisition. ;)

Kman101

Quoting because I can't 'Like' this more than once. :D Not that a little forum searching wouldn't have eliminated the need for this thread altogether...

And I'd wager that the theme parks had even less than almost zero to do with the acquisition. ;)

I doubt very much the acqusition was about getting IPs into the park. Very few of them can actually be used, and several don't really fit. Maybe reboots and years later, possibly. But no one sat around the table saying "yay! we can use Ice Age". Well, maybe someone did, LOL ... but still.

This was about gaining content, not about putting IPs into the park. If they can, they might, but there's no guarantee.

And they tried Alien once. The horrified Mom Squad shut it down.

Planet of the Apes?

Why was this thread started?

SteamboatJoe

This. I think it may have also locked up any Star Wars distribution rights that were still out there. Lots of the IPs mentioned are really dated and are not classic enough to warrant any kind of parks investment. As previously stated, several are also too violent and/or politically sensitive to use. Plus, they already have more than enough IPs, which are both fresher and more popular, to work with in the parks.

Last edited:

SteamboatJoe

I doubt very much the acqusition was about getting IPs into the park. Very few of them can actually be used, and several don't really fit. Maybe reboots and years later, possibly. But no one sat around the table saying "yay! we can use Ice Age". Well, maybe someone did, LOL ... but still.

This was about gaining content, not about putting IPs into the park. If they can, they might, but there's no guarantee.

And they tried Alien once. The horrified Mom Squad shut it down.

Planet of the Apes?

Why was this thread started?
Yep. Heck, one of the secondary reasons could simply be to keep competitors, be it a theme park or studio, from acquiring any one of those franchises and using it.

Liberty6

You forget that any significant investment in the parks only started once Disney cash cow (ESPN) started to lose viewers. Since then the Parks division has been used to prop up margins and revenue while they try to recover the Media and launch DTC. The FOX acquisition is only for DTC. If something ends up in the parks it’s a bonus. They even wrapped Consumer Product into the same division to cover losses that look bad to Wall Street. If Disney+ does take off and becomes the main revenue stream the parks revenue won’t be as vital and there will be less investment as a result.

CaptainAmerica

You forget that any significant investment in the parks only started once Disney cash cow (ESPN) started to lose viewers. Since then the Parks division has been used to prop up margins and revenue while they try to recover the Media and launch DTC. The FOX acquisition is only for DTC. If something ends up in the parks it’s a bonus. They even wrapped Consumer Product into the same division to cover losts that look bad to Wall Street. If Disney+ does take off and becomes the main revenue stream the parks revenue won’t be as vital and there will be less investment as a result.
No.

Consumer Products wasn't losing money, the old Disney Interactive was. But Consumer Products and Interactive were merged years ago, long before the integration with Parks. That change wasn't about Wall Street, it was about leadership. Consolidate power under Chapek to set up a CEO runoff with Kevin Mayer.

Kman101

lol, they aren't going to do "Titanic: The Musical" (well ... I suppose they could; shudder) or Titanic: The Ride (now in 2D!) ... they missed the boat, literally, by about 22 years. Could have been a walkthrough/exhibit in MGM ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom