Pre-Trip Fourth Time’s the Charm? A “Keeping My Fingers Crossed" 30th Birthday Pre-Trip Report

So.

I’m hesitant to write this pre-trip report for two reasons: 1) It’s so close to my trip, is there really a point? And 2) I haven’t had the best luck with Disney trips for the last three years. I’m starting to think I’m cursed.

But, I digress. First things first.

WHO: My mom (Ele) and me (Carrie) — we're leaving my dad home for our very first mother/daughter trip!

WHEN: April 7-April 13

WHERE: Beach Club Villas

WHY: My 30th Birthday!

(Mom and I with Timon in AK during our December 2018 trip!)

Disclaimer: I am a writer, so I tend to be verbose. I promise lots of pictures to make up for it. But I also love painting word pictures, so…..

There were many reasons for this trip. The first of which being that I was FREAKING OUT about turning 30 and I joked to my mom sometime the middle of last year that the only way I’d be OK with turning 30 was if I was in WDW when it happened. Since my birthday is April 10, and thus always falls during spring break insanity, I’ve never been in my favorite place in the whole wide world on my birthday.

My mom likes Disney, but she’s not obsessive like my dad and I are. So I really didn’t think anything would come of my off-the-cuff request. But the next thing I knew, she was asking me one day, “How many points do we have left in 2019?” (We’ve been DVC members since 2001.) We’d borrowed points for our trip during Christmas 2018, but we had about 100 left, which I told her.

Next thing I knew, she asked, “Where would you want to stay if we hypothetically went for your birthday?”

Say WHAT?

“Beach Club or Animal Kingdom Lodge.” I’ve always wanted to enjoy Stormalong Bay, and we’ve tried to get BCV in the past with no luck. I’m also obsessed with animals (especially giraffes, the BEST animal) and AK is tied for my fav park.

At that point, I decided I couldn’t take the vagueness, and asked if she was really thinking of going to Disney. She said yes. The next thing I knew, we were making plans and booking our trip at seven months out. (I love Wilderness Lodge, our home resort, but I wanted to stay somewhere new, no matter where.) And to my utter delight, we got BC! We only got it for five of our six nights initially, but we booked the first night at Boardwalk, figuring it would be an easy switch. Then, somehow (a birthday miracle!) we got BC for our first night, too!!

I’m super excited to take a trip to Disney with just my mom. Everyone on here who does mother-daughter trips looks like they have so much fun!! I love my dad, and he's my "fast" rides buddy (my mom gets motion sickness something fierce...as I am also starting to, but I'm trying to ignore it by using Scopolamine patches). We're actually going to WDW in September, just me and him (we're actually checking in the day after SW:GE opens, which is a whole other story and a whole other PTR!). But this trip is all about the mom and daughter time!

A few more photos from our 2018 trip:

(Hiding from the crowds in the train station on NYE in MK)

(Enjoying Wilderness Lodge's unique Christmas decor...)

("Make sure you get a picture of my extreme nerdiness!!" I wore this to MVMCP...)

In the next few posts, I am going to tell the tales of my last three trips (really, they will be short, mini-trip reports), which have convinced me I’m cursed and have me vaguely worried about this trip. If you just want info about this trip and our plans, I won’t feel bad if you skip the following few posts. Though, some crazy stuff did happen. After all, I am cursed…

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
So.

I’m hesitant to write this pre-trip report for two reasons: 1) It’s so close to my trip, is there really a point? And 2) I haven’t had the best luck with Disney trips for the last three years. I’m starting to think I’m cursed.

But, I digress. First things first.

WHO: My mom (Ele) and me (Carrie) — we're leaving my dad home for our very first mother/daughter trip!

WHEN: April 7-April 13

WHERE: Beach Club Villas

WHY: My 30th Birthday!

View attachment 359920
(Mom and I with Timon in AK during our December 2018 trip!)

Disclaimer: I am a writer, so I tend to be verbose. I promise lots of pictures to make up for it. But I also love painting word pictures, so…..

There were many reasons for this trip. The first of which being that I was FREAKING OUT about turning 30 and I joked to my mom sometime the middle of last year that the only way I’d be OK with turning 30 was if I was in WDW when it happened. Since my birthday is April 10, and thus always falls during spring break insanity, I’ve never been in my favorite place in the whole wide world on my birthday.

My mom likes Disney, but she’s not obsessive like my dad and I are. So I really didn’t think anything would come of my off-the-cuff request. But the next thing I knew, she was asking me one day, “How many points do we have left in 2019?” (We’ve been DVC members since 2001.) We’d borrowed points for our trip during Christmas 2018, but we had about 100 left, which I told her.

Next thing I knew, she asked, “Where would you want to stay if we hypothetically went for your birthday?”

Say WHAT?

“Beach Club or Animal Kingdom Lodge.” I’ve always wanted to enjoy Stormalong Bay, and we’ve tried to get BCV in the past with no luck. I’m also obsessed with animals (especially giraffes, the BEST animal) and AK is tied for my fav park.

At that point, I decided I couldn’t take the vagueness, and asked if she was really thinking of going to Disney. She said yes. The next thing I knew, we were making plans and booking our trip at seven months out. (I love Wilderness Lodge, our home resort, but I wanted to stay somewhere new, no matter where.) And to my utter delight, we got BC! We only got it for five of our six nights initially, but we booked the first night at Boardwalk, figuring it would be an easy switch. Then, somehow (a birthday miracle!) we got BC for our first night, too!!

I’m super excited to take a trip to Disney with just my mom. Everyone on here who does mother-daughter trips looks like they have so much fun!! I love my dad, and he's my "fast" rides buddy (my mom gets motion sickness something fierce...as I am also starting to, but I'm trying to ignore it by using Scopolamine patches). We're actually going to WDW in September, just me and him (we're actually checking in the day after SW:GE opens, which is a whole other story and a whole other PTR!). But this trip is all about the mom and daughter time!

A few more photos from our 2018 trip:

View attachment 359921
(Hiding from the crowds in the train station on NYE in MK)

View attachment 359922
(Enjoying Wilderness Lodge's unique Christmas decor...)

View attachment 359923
("Make sure you get a picture of my extreme nerdiness!!" I wore this to MVMCP...)

In the next few posts, I am going to tell the tales of my last three trips (really, they will be short, mini-trip reports), which have convinced me I’m cursed and have me vaguely worried about this trip. If you just want info about this trip and our plans, I won’t feel bad if you skip the following few posts. Though, some crazy stuff did happen. After all, I am cursed…
I am sorry but I can not wait to hear all about your misery!!! And, of course, I hope the streak gets broken!

carriehpotter

Original Poster
I love a good word picture... I'll be following along :) Hope you have a great trip!
I do, too! Thanks :D

I am sorry but I can not wait to hear all about your misery!!! And, of course, I hope the streak gets broken!
Haha, I totally get it! Of course, now I'm worried that I over-hyped my "curse!" Especially considering all the fireworks cruise drama you went through! 😢

Enjoy your trip!
Thank you so much! :)

carriehpotter

Original Poster
Now I’m nervous that I over-hyped my “curse.” Oh well, you can all be the judges!

As I mentioned at the start, I’ve had (what I thought was) some truly awful luck at WDW over the last three years and my last three trips, which is why I waited so long to start this pre-trip report. I really want to finally write a trip report, and I figure a pre-trip will (hopefully) keep me beholden to one.

No matter what, I feel like some background/story time about my last three trips is necessary to set this one up.

December 2016

My last pre-trip report on the forum was for my fam’s December 2016 trip. Here it is. Lots of people were super lovely when commenting on that PTR and looking forward to my actual trip report. But I never wrote it because, while on that trip, something happened that essentially ruined the trip for me.

We were there for two weeks. We’d driven from New Jersey over two days, leaving on Thanksgiving and arriving that Saturday. We had lots of fun stuff planned! And for the most part, we did our best to have a good time. Yet…

At the start of our second week, I left my cell phone in our room by mistake. Not the end of the world, as my dad had the MDE app on his phone, too, so we used that to schedule additional FPs. But when we got back to our room that night, I had a voicemail from my boss that sounded…off. In it, she asked me to give her a call ASAP, as something very important had come up. Oh geez. I work in publishing, and it may sound crazy, but a LOT of wacky stuff can spring up out of nowhere on projects.

I texted her, asking if I could still call (seeing as it was pretty late), and got no response. OK. So I was freaking out, because what happened that I’m going to have to try to fix from 1000 miles away?

The next morning was an Epcot day, and I was super excited because we were trying Garden Grill for breakfast for the first time. We’ve always loved GG for lunch and dinner, and we also LOVE Disney breakfasts, so it was something I’d been looking forward to.

We were waiting for the bus at the Wilderness Lodge bus stop, when I got a call. I stepped away out of politeness and saw that it was my boss. I answered, and immediately asked, “Oh gosh, what happened?” still thinking it was just an issue with one of my projects.

Nope.

My boss sighed really heavily and hemmed and hawed for a minute, and then finally told me: “Mary sold the company. It’s closing. We won’t have jobs as of January 31.”

I was flabbergasted, and honestly, a bit shell-shocked. She filled me in on more details as the bus came, and I sat in the back, away from my parents, doing absolutely everything in my power not to cry (pretty sure I failed on that one). When we got off the bus, I filled them in. They were both very upset for me, and my dad was FURIOUS that she had called during our trip to tell me (“She couldn’t have WAITED until you got back? She had to RUIN your trip!?”). But there was nothing to do. I tried to put it out of my mind the best I could, but there’s no doubt it cast a pall over the rest of our trip. I was trying to appear happy in the below pictures, but my mind was definitely elsewhere:

On top of it all, it ruined the breakfast I’d most looked forward to. As I said, I’m an editor in the publishing industry, and that’s not the easiest field to find jobs in, so I was preoccupied with thoughts of what I was going to do in a month and a half.

Much debate has gone into whether my boss should have waited until I got home from vacation (my dad vehemently says yes), but no matter what, I didn’t have a job as of January 31, 2017, so my mind was elsewhere. I got very lucky and was hired by my current employer in May of 2017, so I was only out of work about three and a half months, but it was a harrowing few months, nevertheless.

This trip will always hold an...erm, special...place in my heart, though. No, seriously, we had fun, but it got pretty dicey at the end there.

I will tell the tales of the next two trips tomorrow! Thanks for following along!

krisri18

Now I’m nervous that I over-hyped my “curse.” Oh well, you can all be the judges!

As I mentioned at the start, I’ve had (what I thought was) some truly awful luck at WDW over the last three years and my last three trips, which is why I waited so long to start this pre-trip report. I really want to finally write a trip report, and I figure a pre-trip will (hopefully) keep me beholden to one.

No matter what, I feel like some background/story time about my last three trips is necessary to set this one up.

December 2016

My last pre-trip report on the forum was for my fam’s December 2016 trip. Here it is. Lots of people were super lovely when commenting on that PTR and looking forward to my actual trip report. But I never wrote it because, while on that trip, something happened that essentially ruined the trip for me.

We were there for two weeks. We’d driven from New Jersey over two days, leaving on Thanksgiving and arriving that Saturday. We had lots of fun stuff planned! And for the most part, we did our best to have a good time. Yet…

At the start of our second week, I left my cell phone in our room by mistake. Not the end of the world, as my dad had the MDE app on his phone, too, so we used that to schedule additional FPs. But when we got back to our room that night, I had a voicemail from my boss that sounded…off. In it, she asked me to give her a call ASAP, as something very important had come up. Oh geez. I work in publishing, and it may sound crazy, but a LOT of wacky stuff can spring up out of nowhere on projects.

I texted her, asking if I could still call (seeing as it was pretty late), and got no response. OK. So I was freaking out, because what happened that I’m going to have to try to fix from 1000 miles away?

The next morning was an Epcot day, and I was super excited because we were trying Garden Grill for breakfast for the first time. We’ve always loved GG for lunch and dinner, and we also LOVE Disney breakfasts, so it was something I’d been looking forward to.

We were waiting for the bus at the Wilderness Lodge bus stop, when I got a call. I stepped away out of politeness and saw that it was my boss. I answered, and immediately asked, “Oh gosh, what happened?” still thinking it was just an issue with one of my projects.

Nope.

My boss sighed really heavily and hemmed and hawed for a minute, and then finally told me: “Mary sold the company. It’s closing. We won’t have jobs as of January 31.”

I was flabbergasted, and honestly, a bit shell-shocked. She filled me in on more details as the bus came, and I sat in the back, away from my parents, doing absolutely everything in my power not to cry (pretty sure I failed on that one). When we got off the bus, I filled them in. They were both very upset for me, and my dad was FURIOUS that she had called during our trip to tell me (“She couldn’t have WAITED until you got back? She had to RUIN your trip!?”). But there was nothing to do. I tried to put it out of my mind the best I could, but there’s no doubt it cast a pall over the rest of our trip. I was trying to appear happy in the below pictures, but my mind was definitely elsewhere:

View attachment 361237

View attachment 361238

View attachment 361239

On top of it all, it ruined the breakfast I’d most looked forward to. As I said, I’m an editor in the publishing industry, and that’s not the easiest field to find jobs in, so I was preoccupied with thoughts of what I was going to do in a month and a half.

Much debate has gone into whether my boss should have waited until I got home from vacation (my dad vehemently says yes), but no matter what, I didn’t have a job as of January 31, 2017, so my mind was elsewhere. I got very lucky and was hired by my current employer in May of 2017, so I was only out of work about three and a half months, but it was a harrowing few months, nevertheless.

This trip will always hold an...erm, special...place in my heart, though. No, seriously, we had fun, but it got pretty dicey at the end there.

View attachment 361241

View attachment 361242

View attachment 361244

View attachment 361246

I will tell the tales of the next two trips tomorrow! Thanks for following along!
I'm with your dad on this one, boss should have waited until you returned!

Spash007

30 ain’t half bad! It seems like there are quite a few of us celebrating this milestone on these boards - mine was back in July and I swear I saw at least 2 other TRs mention 30th birthdays. I think that means that luck is on your side this time!

carriehpotter

Original Poster
I'm with your dad on this one, boss should have waited until you returned!
Yeah, that's been the consensus. Apparently, there was an actual debate at my old office about whether they should call me on vacation or wait til I got back. My boss was the only one who insisted I get called. Everyone else thought she should wait. My one coworker was so MAD about it afterwards, saying the whole office was against calling me. But oh well.

30 ain’t half bad! It seems like there are quite a few of us celebrating this milestone on these boards - mine was back in July and I swear I saw at least 2 other TRs mention 30th birthdays. I think that means that luck is on your side this time!
I've noticed that, too! It's a special one, so it makes sense. I've definitely chilled out about it, though I think knowing I'll be in Disney when it happens is what's helping! :hilarious: And I hope so!!

carriehpotter

Original Poster
I apologize in advance, because this next one is definitely long. But it's also the most harrowing thing to ever happen to me in Disney.

August-September 2017

My next trip, in August/September 2017 over Labor Day weekend, was even worse. My best friend, B, was planning to go to Disney and Universal by herself (she’d asked me, but at the time I had no job, so I didn’t feel comfortable committing) for the special “Nineteen Years Later” event Mugglenet was throwing at Universal on September 1 (September 1, 2017 was the date of the epilogue in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows). A mutual love of Harry Potter is literally how we became best friends in seventh grade, so I really wanted to be there. Once I got my job, I was able to get the time off and I basically glomped onto her trip. It had been booked by a TA who had done nothing to help B prepare (except convince her to buy the Deluxe Dining plan which she DID NOT need), including no ADRs or FPs. So, once I was on board, that, of course, immediately changed.

As a seasoned Disney-goer, I hadn’t been to WDW in the actual summer since I was 10. (We always went end of May, very beginning of June when I was still in school.) So while I knew it would be hot, holy guacamole did it hit me hard. But we had fun anyway. We spent three nights and two days at Sapphire Falls at USO, had a FANTASTIC time at the HP event (some of the more minor film stars were there, and they closed Diagon Alley for us). B, who’s a bit extra, had also paid to get a private wand experience at Ollivander’s (and I, her freeloading friend, was allowed to go too) with one of the celebrities. We got SEAN BIGGERSTAFF (he played Oliver Wood in the films) and we both LOVE him, so that was incredible. He was SUPER sweet.

Then we moved to Port Orleans Riverside for four nights, and that’s when things went drastically downhill. On our second day, we hopped from Epcot to HS to eat at Hollywood & Vine with the Fantasmic! Dining Package, and my life literally changed (sorry to be so dramatic).

(Our morning in Epcot was fab, but…)

(So unaware of what is about to happen…)

We got seated and I went to use the bathroom. Of course, we were seated on the direct opposite side of the restaurant from the door to the bathrooms. On my way back to the table, I noticed that Goofy was at our table, and since I didn’t want to have to wait for another full character rotation until he came back (we only had 4 days in Disney, and I’m used to 14!), so I kind of speed walked/jogged back to the table. As I got there, I kind of hopped laterally to the side, as if to say, “I’m here!” and…

I felt something in my knee snap. I immediately crumbled to the ground. People at surrounding tables kinda laughed at first, but then stopped when they noticed I wasn’t getting up. I’d promptly burst into tears, because the pain was blinding. Goofy tried to help me up, but I’m not a tiny girl by any means, so I told him, “I appreciate it, Goof, but I don’t want you to get hurt.” He understood and stepped back. I genuinely can’t remember how I got up (whether B helped me or I got myself up), but the next thing I knew, I was back in my seat literally surrounded by CMs. Say what you want about Disney, but boy do they know how to handle an emergency. Our server, at least two suits, and Goofy were all huddled around me (Goofy was massaging my shoulders and petting my head…I really wish I had thought to give an Applause-O-Gram to that friend of Goofy). They called EMTs, who were there in like 3 minutes. They brought a stretcher.

At this point, I was more embarrassed than anything. I was like 95% sure I’d torn the ACL in my left knee (I’d torn my right ACL in high school and the “snap” felt exactly the same), but at that point, I was hot, overwhelmed, and incredibly hangry, so after talking to my parents on the phone (my poor parents…imagine that phone call from their perspective), I decided to waive going to the hospital and eat my food. While B went up to the buffet to get food for me (our server offered, but B said she’d handle it), one of the suits brought me a wheelchair, free of charge, and Goofy literally came back to check on me about five times, including the final time before I think he was “changing friends,” when he gave me the longest, tightest hug.

(The best “friend” ever…)

We ate, got our Fantasmic! passes, and left. As we left, my knee was still pounding and I couldn’t put any weight on it, so I made the difficult decision to go to First Aid (when I waived going to the ER, the EMTs told me I could go there if I changed my mind). While there, a mistake was made that fully impacted my life. The nurse (I’m pretty sure she was a RN or possibly a NP) who was there said I had two options: I could go to the nearby clinic, or I could go to the ER. I asked what she recommended, and she said, “Well, if you go to the clinic, they will probably just send you to the ER for an MRI, so maybe just go straight to the ER and cut out the middle man.”

Sigh.

I’ve been blessed with fantastic health throughout my life. I’ve only been to the ER twice (both times for a suspected concussion). When I tore my ACL the first time, we went right to an orthopedic doctor. So I don’t know a whole ton about these things. So I followed the nurse’s advice, and asked for a trip to the ER. While involved an ambulance. Two things about this: 1) Disney pays for the ambulance, which is FANTASTIC. It’s something they don’t have to do, but it made my life a little easier. 2) Once on the ambulance, when I was giving the EMT my history and recounting the accident, he said bluntly, “That nurse was wrong. The ER is not going to give you an MRI for your knee. They will X-ray it at best. And since I doubt it’s broken, you just potentially cost yourself a ton of money. The clinic would have given you a bandage and crutches and sent you on your way.”

And he was right. The ER did not give me an MRI (which is what is needed to tell if tissue or ligaments are torn); they only gave me an X-ray, which was clean. Essentially, I was prescribed a pain medication that I couldn’t get my hands on until I was home (there’s a drug store that delivers to the parks, but I needed to fax them my prescription and at that point, I just didn’t feel like dealing with the front desk at POR again…our check-in is a whole other story) and given an ACE bandage and crutches. So I got a bandage and crutches and was sent on my way after sitting around for 3 hours.

My current company doesn’t have the best health insurance for out-of-state care, so I am STILL paying this ER trip off (and I’ve been paying over $100 a month for almost two years). I know it pales in comparison to what some people have to pay and I’m blessed that I can even afford monthly payments, but that nurse not knowing how this stuff worked (and SHE’S the expert that Disney had on site to advise people) cost me over $2000.

Beyond that, I couldn’t put weight on my knee, so I also had to rent a scooter. I called like 3 places (while sitting in the ER) and found one place who could deliver it the next day (pretty sure it was Buena Vista). We took a taxi back to POR, and of course we were in a pool view room on the opposite side from the main lobby, so we had quite a walk. The effort it took for them to find us a wheelchair to get me to our room was awful. It took them almost 45 minutes to find one. I was grateful that they did, but the front desk was incredibly nasty about it (but bell services, who ended up looking, was awesome and even offered to push me back…we declined). During that time, I crutched into River Roost lounge, took a seat, and ordered a drink (I think I earned it, honestly). B went and grabbed us dinner from the food court and brought it back to the lounge (I don’t care if that was tacky…I wasn’t going any further than the comfy chair I’d settled in).

For the next three days, I navigated Disney on the scooter with metal crutches strewn across my body. My knee hurt something terrible all the time due to how it had to be positioned in the scooter, so I called it an early night every evening. And I really started to understand the plight of people in scooters. People genuinely do just walk out in front of you, expecting you to stop (which gave my knee an awful jolt each time). I also got so many dirty looks, it was crazy. I get it. I’m young and overweight, so people made assumptions. Yet, I had METAL CRUTCHES LAYING ACROSS MY BODY. Ain’t nobody doing that in 90+ degree heat just ’cause they’re lazy. And honestly, I get sick of people getting angry at others whom they don’t think should be in a scooter. You don’t know why someone needs it. As long as the person in the scooter is respectful and not aggressive with their driving, how does it affect you?

Anyway, rant over. (It’s just something I never thought about that I am now quite passionate about!) I was happy that B was willing to do things without me (she saw Fantasmic! and Happily Ever After without me…I didn’t want to try to navigate closing crowds.). I still feel bad that I kind of ruined that trip with one little hop.

I came home to a torn ACL, torn meniscus, and sprained MCL diagnosis. Cue working from home for a month (this was at my new job in NYC; no way was I getting in and out on NJ Transit on crutches) and months of physical therapy. I haven’t gotten either of my ACLs replaced, as I’ve responded well to physical therapy both times. At this point, my knee is nice and strong, though it does still “go out” at times (since I don’t have ACLs, which control lateral movement, sometimes if I pivot wrong, my knee will buckle), but the physical therapy strengthened my surrounding muscles enough that this happens very infrequently (knock on wood).

Spash007

I apologize in advance, because this next one is definitely long. But it's also the most harrowing thing to ever happen to me in Disney.

August-September 2017

My next trip, in August/September 2017 over Labor Day weekend, was even worse. My best friend, B, was planning to go to Disney and Universal by herself (she’d asked me, but at the time I had no job, so I didn’t feel comfortable committing) for the special “Nineteen Years Later” event Mugglenet was throwing at Universal on September 1 (September 1, 2017 was the date of the epilogue in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows). A mutual love of Harry Potter is literally how we became best friends in seventh grade, so I really wanted to be there. Once I got my job, I was able to get the time off and I basically glomped onto her trip. It had been booked by a TA who had done nothing to help B prepare (except convince her to buy the Deluxe Dining plan which she DID NOT need), including no ADRs or FPs. So, once I was on board, that, of course, immediately changed.

As a seasoned Disney-goer, I hadn’t been to WDW in the actual summer since I was 10. (We always went end of May, very beginning of June when I was still in school.) So while I knew it would be hot, holy guacamole did it hit me hard. But we had fun anyway. We spent three nights and two days at Sapphire Falls at USO, had a FANTASTIC time at the HP event (some of the more minor film stars were there, and they closed Diagon Alley for us). B, who’s a bit extra, had also paid to get a private wand experience at Ollivander’s (and I, her freeloading friend, was allowed to go too) with one of the celebrities. We got SEAN BIGGERSTAFF (he played Oliver Wood in the films) and we both LOVE him, so that was incredible. He was SUPER sweet.

View attachment 361375

View attachment 361376

Then we moved to Port Orleans Riverside for four nights, and that’s when things went drastically downhill. On our second day, we hopped from Epcot to HS to eat at Hollywood & Vine with the Fantasmic! Dining Package, and my life literally changed (sorry to be so dramatic).

View attachment 361377

View attachment 361378

We got seated and I went to use the bathroom. Of course, we were seated on the direct opposite side of the restaurant from the door to the bathrooms. On my way back to the table, I noticed that Goofy was at our table, and since I didn’t want to have to wait for another full character rotation until he came back (we only had 4 days in Disney, and I’m used to 14!), so I kind of speed walked/jogged back to the table. As I got there, I kind of hopped laterally to the side, as if to say, “I’m here!” and…

I felt something in my knee snap. I immediately crumbled to the ground. People at surrounding tables kinda laughed at first, but then stopped when they noticed I wasn’t getting up. I’d promptly burst into tears, because the pain was blinding. Goofy tried to help me up, but I’m not a tiny girl by any means, so I told him, “I appreciate it, Goof, but I don’t want you to get hurt.” He understood and stepped back. I genuinely can’t remember how I got up (whether B helped me or I got myself up), but the next thing I knew, I was back in my seat literally surrounded by CMs. Say what you want about Disney, but boy do they know how to handle an emergency. Our server, at least two suits, and Goofy were all huddled around me (Goofy was massaging my shoulders and petting my head…I really wish I had thought to give an Applause-O-Gram to that friend of Goofy). They called EMTs, who were there in like 3 minutes. They brought a stretcher.

At this point, I was more embarrassed than anything. I was like 95% sure I’d torn the ACL in my left knee (I’d torn my right ACL in high school and the “snap” felt exactly the same), but at that point, I was hot, overwhelmed, and incredibly hangry, so after talking to my parents on the phone (my poor parents…imagine that phone call from their perspective), I decided to waive going to the hospital and eat my food. While B went up to the buffet to get food for me (our server offered, but B said she’d handle it), one of the suits brought me a wheelchair, free of charge, and Goofy literally came back to check on me about five times, including the final time before I think he was “changing friends,” when he gave me the longest, tightest hug.

View attachment 361379

We ate, got our Fantasmic! passes, and left. As we left, my knee was still pounding and I couldn’t put any weight on it, so I made the difficult decision to go to First Aid (when I waived going to the ER, the EMTs told me I could go there if I changed my mind). While there, a mistake was made that fully impacted my life. The nurse (I’m pretty sure she was a RN or possibly a NP) who was there said I had two options: I could go to the nearby clinic, or I could go to the ER. I asked what she recommended, and she said, “Well, if you go to the clinic, they will probably just send you to the ER for an MRI, so maybe just go straight to the ER and cut out the middle man.”

Sigh.

I’ve been blessed with fantastic health throughout my life. I’ve only been to the ER twice (both times for a suspected concussion). When I tore my ACL the first time, we went right to an orthopedic doctor. So I don’t know a whole ton about these things. So I followed the nurse’s advice, and asked for a trip to the ER. While involved an ambulance. Two things about this: 1) Disney pays for the ambulance, which is FANTASTIC. It’s something they don’t have to do, but it made my life a little easier. 2) Once on the ambulance, when I was giving the EMT my history and recounting the accident, he said bluntly, “That nurse was wrong. The ER is not going to give you an MRI for your knee. They will X-ray it at best. And since I doubt it’s broken, you just potentially cost yourself a ton of money. The clinic would have given you a bandage and crutches and sent you on your way.”

And he was right. The ER did not give me an MRI (which is what is needed to tell if tissue or ligaments are torn); they only gave me an X-ray, which was clean. Essentially, I was prescribed a pain medication that I couldn’t get my hands on until I was home (there’s a drug store that delivers to the parks, but I needed to fax them my prescription and at that point, I just didn’t feel like dealing with the front desk at POR again…our check-in is a whole other story) and given an ACE bandage and crutches. So I got a bandage and crutches and was sent on my way after sitting around for 3 hours.

My current company doesn’t have the best health insurance for out-of-state care, so I am STILL paying this ER trip off (and I’ve been paying over $100 a month for almost two years). I know it pales in comparison to what some people have to pay and I’m blessed that I can even afford monthly payments, but that nurse not knowing how this stuff worked (and SHE’S the expert that Disney had on site to advise people) cost me over $2000.

Beyond that, I couldn’t put weight on my knee, so I also had to rent a scooter. I called like 3 places (while sitting in the ER) and found one place who could deliver it the next day (pretty sure it was Buena Vista). We took a taxi back to POR, and of course we were in a pool view room on the opposite side from the main lobby, so we had quite a walk. The effort it took for them to find us a wheelchair to get me to our room was awful. It took them almost 45 minutes to find one. I was grateful that they did, but the front desk was incredibly nasty about it (but bell services, who ended up looking, was awesome and even offered to push me back…we declined). During that time, I crutched into River Roost lounge, took a seat, and ordered a drink (I think I earned it, honestly). B went and grabbed us dinner from the food court and brought it back to the lounge (I don’t care if that was tacky…I wasn’t going any further than the comfy chair I’d settled in).

For the next three days, I navigated Disney on the scooter with metal crutches strewn across my body. My knee hurt something terrible all the time due to how it had to be positioned in the scooter, so I called it an early night every evening. And I really started to understand the plight of people in scooters. People genuinely do just walk out in front of you, expecting you to stop (which gave my knee an awful jolt each time). I also got so many dirty looks, it was crazy. I get it. I’m young and overweight, so people made assumptions. Yet, I had METAL CRUTCHES LAYING ACROSS MY BODY. Ain’t nobody doing that in 90+ degree heat just ’cause they’re lazy. And honestly, I get sick of people getting angry at others whom they don’t think should be in a scooter. You don’t know why someone needs it. As long as the person in the scooter is respectful and not aggressive with their driving, how does it affect you?

Anyway, rant over. (It’s just something I never thought about that I am now quite passionate about!) I was happy that B was willing to do things without me (she saw Fantasmic! and Happily Ever After without me…I didn’t want to try to navigate closing crowds.). I still feel bad that I kind of ruined that trip with one little hop.

I came home to a torn ACL, torn meniscus, and sprained MCL diagnosis. Cue working from home for a month (this was at my new job in NYC; no way was I getting in and out on NJ Transit on crutches) and months of physical therapy. I haven’t gotten either of my ACLs replaced, as I’ve responded well to physical therapy both times. At this point, my knee is nice and strong, though it does still “go out” at times (since I don’t have ACLs, which control lateral movement, sometimes if I pivot wrong, my knee will buckle), but the physical therapy strengthened my surrounding muscles enough that this happens very infrequently (knock on wood).

View attachment 361381

View attachment 361382

Oh my gosh, you were not exaggerating at all that you had awful experiences! That was harrowing to read - I couldn't even imagine dealing with that (especially when on vacation).

I'm also with you on the scooter issues - my wife rented one on our last trip, and it was AWFUL. Physically it seemed to help, but trying to navigate crowds were impossible. The sudden stops made her feel worse, and then trying to stay with anyone else in a crowd meant turning around in weird ways which only hurt her back. I wish any of those people who claim lazy people use scooters would go and get one themselves and realize how that doesn't even make sense.

Moana76

In the Parks
No
Wow, you had some bad luck on those other trips. I hope everything is sunshine and rainbows for this one (I will be there at the same time, 7-12, so I'm hoping for sunshine and rainbows for both of us)!

Darstarr

In the Parks
No

August-September 2017

View attachment 361375

View attachment 361376

View attachment 361377

View attachment 361378

View attachment 361379

Sigh.

View attachment 361381

View attachment 361382
Yikes!!!

carriehpotter

Original Poster
Oh my gosh, you were not exaggerating at all that you had awful experiences! That was harrowing to read - I couldn't even imagine dealing with that (especially when on vacation).

I'm also with you on the scooter issues - my wife rented one on our last trip, and it was AWFUL. Physically it seemed to help, but trying to navigate crowds were impossible. The sudden stops made her feel worse, and then trying to stay with anyone else in a crowd meant turning around in weird ways which only hurt her back. I wish any of those people who claim lazy people use scooters would go and get one themselves and realize how that doesn't even make sense.
At the time, it felt like the end of the world, but looking back, it's definitely at least a good story.

I agree 100%. Of course, I've definitely seen people driving like maniacs in those things, but average people, like me and your wife, have reasons to use them (and those reasons aren't anyone's business!). And anyone who says people are just lazy using them can scoot a mile in our shoes and see what a pain in the you-know-what it actually is!

Wow, you had some bad luck on those other trips. I hope everything is sunshine and rainbows for this one (I will be there at the same time, 7-12, so I'm hoping for sunshine and rainbows for both of us)!
Fingers crossed!! I hope you have a fun trip!

Yep. Haha.

carriehpotter

Original Poster
And now, to our most recent trip.

This one's partially my fault, because I started looking at this trip as a "do-over" for the other two. So I kind of set myself up for failure. But it also isn't as bad as the first two (this was more of a "kick her while she's down" situation).

Dec 2018-Jan 2019

This one started off bad. Right when I started at my new company, a group of employees tried to start a union. For context, I work at a publishing company…not really an industry frequently unionized. The fight went on for months, the labor board got involved…it was ugly. Unfortunately, I made my time off request for October 2018 at just the wrong time. My family always goes to WDW for two weeks, so that’s what I requested. I was denied and told I couldn’t take two weeks off in a row. Now, there was nothing in our handbook that explicitly stated that policy. I’d find out later that management had denied one of the union organizers a two-week vacation like a week before I made my request. They didn’t want to appear biased, so they denied me too. Whatever, I get it and I’m over it.

My boss could tell I was crushed when he denied the request, so he reminded me that we’re allowed to add vacation (up to five days) to any company holidays. We get the week between Christmas and New Year off. Was he suggesting…?

He was. We had gone to Disney over Christmas week in 2009. Suffice it to say, we were unprepared for the sheer level of insanity that week. We knew it would be crowded, but not that apocalypse level of mass humanity. So, we’d said, “Never again.”

But for this trip, we talked about it and decided that we were better prepared this time. We knew it would be SUPER crowded. We built in tons of rest days. We’d be there for 18 days (all at Wilderness Lodge), plenty of time to relax and take our time. My mom was a bit hesitant, but finally agreed.

So we went. We had a lot of fun. Except, I got sick about three days in. I couldn’t taste anything and I was severely congested. Eventually, I got better after a few days, but then my dad got sick. Then I got re-sick. Each day, my dad and I got worse and worse. We missed breakfast ADRs to sleep late, we missed Fastpasses (which is very unlike us). We were dragging and leaving early when we did get into the parks. We were a mess. My mom started getting sick then, obviously, and my dad literally started getting chills that sent tremors through his whole body. So we made the difficult decision to leave four days early. I knew it was the right thing to do, but I was heartbroken. I’d looked forward to the trip for so long, as a “do-over” for the previous two trips, and here we were having rotten luck again. My parents canceled their Amtrak roomette for the trip home (my mom doesn’t fly), and I canceled my flight (I was far too congested to fly). We rented a mini-van and drove home. When we got home, we went to the doctor: I had severe tonsillitis, my mom had a bad cold, and my dad had the FLU (we’d all gotten our flu shots months prior, too).

I've never left WDW early, not even when I tore my ACL. So, another “great” trip to the World.

So now I think I’m cursed. I know that it’s going to be super-crowded again when my mom and I are there in 2 days (!!!!), but this is more to be there on my birthday—a milestone one, at that—than to get a bunch of stuff done. This is my 17th trip to Disney, so I’m fine with taking it easy. Plus, my dad and I are going over Labor Day Weekend this year (and THAT is a whole other story and a whole other PTR!!), as well. That will be our attempt at a “rope drop every day and close every park” trip!

Now you understand why I’m both excited and nervous about this trip. In the next post, I'll detail our plans.

Here are a few pics from Dec 2018, before we all got sick (though I'm pretty sure I was sick in all of these--there were only about four days total that I wasn't sick):

(My mom's fav character is Buzz Lightyear :inlove:)

(Best "friend" of Belle ever, I think...)

carriehpotter

Original Poster
OK, random mini trip reports over!

Here are our plans for this trip!

SATURDAY, APRIL 6: My mom doesn’t fly, and she didn’t want to drive, so we’re taking the train. When we went to Disney at Christmas in 2009, we sat in Amtrak coach. BIG mistake. So on our 2018 Christmas trip, we got two roomettes. Better, but still awfully tight and uncomfortable. So for this trip, we upgraded to a “Bedroom” which is much more spacious. We’ll be leaving from Penn Station Newark, NJ a little before noon.

SUNDAY, APRIL 7: We’re supposed to arrive in Winter Park a little before 10 am. Our train in December was over 3 hours late, so we don’t have much faith in this. We’ll take a taxi to Beach Club, check in, drop off our luggage, and head into Epcot! We plan to sample some of the Flower and Garden specialties for lunch. Then we have three FPs back to back: Soarin’ from 5-6 pm, Living with the Land from 6-7 pm, and Spaceship Earth from 7:10-8:10 pm. I plan to ride SE a lot this trip because I adore the current iteration, and I know it’s closing for a two-year refurb at the end of the summer. Then we have an ADR for the Frozen Ever After Dessert Party, for pretty much the same reason: Illuminations is ending at the end of the summer, and I wanted to see it one last time. Plus, I didn’t want to mess with crowds during spring break. We’ve done this party twice (once as the Illuminations Sparkling Dessert Party and once as the Frozen one), and we enjoyed both times. It’s super fun to get to go on FEA with no wait after the party, too!

MONDAY, APRIL 8: We have a breakfast ADR at Trattoria Al Forno for the Bon Voyage Adventure Breakfast at Boardwalk at 10 am (we loved this breakfast in 2018!) Two things I promised my mom when planning this trip were 1) lots of pool time (also for me…Stormalong Bay is calling my name!) and 2) we’d sleep in and take it easy. So two of our three breakfast ADRs are within walking distance of our room and we’re taking a bunch of midday breaks for pool time! We’re heading back to Epcot, and we have FPs for the Character Spot from 12-1 pm, Spaceship Earth from 1:15-2:15 pm (told you!), and Journey Into Imagination from 2:20-3:20 pm. My mom gets motion sickness, so she can’t ride any of the “big” rides, so I’m taking them off on this trip, too. Then we have a dinner ADR for Via Napoli (my fav pizza!) at 8:30 pm. One thing I’m excited about is getting to eat later (like, the parks will be closed when we leave), because my dad is a diabetic and can’t eat late, so we always eat early dinners.

(Ariel and I at the Bon Voyage Adventure Breakfast in 2018.)

TUESDAY, APRIL 9: Animal Kingdom day! We have FPs for Festival of the Lion King at 10:30, Na’vi River Journey from 11:55-12:55 pm, and Kilimanjaro Safaris from 1-2 pm. Then we have a dinner ADR at our fav restaurant, Yak & Yeti, at 4:15 pm. The reason for our early dinner? We’re hopping over to Hollywood Studios for the Fantasmic! Dessert Party with VIP Viewing at 7:50. We usually do the dining package for this, but that wasn’t in the cards, so we’re trying this for the first time! I know some may say this is a waste of money, but Fantasmic! is my absolute favorite show at WDW (though, whoo boy is HEA nipping at its heels), so it was a must on my birthday trip, and I didn’t want to stress about seating.

WEDNESDAY, APRIL 10: THE BIG THREE OH I waffled back and forth on where to go on my birthday, since I love all of the parks a great deal, but when it came down to it, was there really even an option? We’re heading to Magic Kingdom today! We have a breakfast ADR at Crystal Palace, one of my favs (Tigger is my second favorite character after, you guessed it, Hades!) at 9:15 am. Then we have FPs for Pirates of the Caribbean (my mom’s fav) from 10:35-11:35 am, Jungle Cruise from 11:35-12:35 pm, and Meet Mickey and Minnie from 2:20-3:20 (I had to meet the mice celebrating their birthdays on mine!!). Then we are doing the After Fireworks Dessert Party with Plaza Garden Viewing to see HEA! We did this dessert party twice on our trip in 2018 (once for Holiday Wishes and once for HEA) and it was fab! I knew I needed to see HEA on my birthday.

Quick story time: I loved Wishes, so I was hesitant about HEA. I purposefully avoided seeing or hearing any of it until I could see it in person. Now, as my fav character, Hades, may suggest, Hercules is my favorite Disney film. As I’m sure you know, it is severely underrepresented across Disney as a whole. So I was already pretty emotional watching HEA the first time (I mean, the “How Far I’ll Go” part and Robin Williams as Genie and the Emperor’s famous line and PotC’s epic music!?), but when the first strains of “I Can Go the Distance” (a song that has saved my life at times) began, I completely lost it. Audible, wrenching sobs (sorry, people around me!). And the fact that it wasn’t just the opening chords, but the freakin’ climax of the show!?!? Geez. HEA is the new fav, for sure. So this was a MUST for my special day!!

THURSDAY, APRIL 11: We have a breakfast ADR at Cape May Café for Minnie’s Beach Bash Breakfast! We also plan to swim at Stormalong Bay today, and then go into Epcot, again (the lure of just being able to walk straight there is strong)! We have FPs for (you guessed it!) Spaceship Earth from 4:35-5:35 pm and Frozen Ever After from 5:40 to 6:40 pm. Then we have an 8:55 ADR at Le Cellier. Hopefully we will be strolling out in little to no crowds (I told my mom we might just take a Minnie Van from the front entrance back to Beach Club (crazy, I know) because I’ll want to walk out the long way in a mostly empty park!).

FRIDAY, APRIL 12: This is our pool day/Disney Springs day! The only commitment we have is a 1:10 ADR at Beaches and Cream! Gotta get my beloved No Way José on my birthday trip ;)

SATURDAY, APRIL 13: Our final day 😢 We’ll check out and head over to Magic Kingdom, where we have FPs for Haunted Mansion from 10:15-11:15, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh from 11:25-12:25, and Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin from 12:25-1:25. We have a lunch ADR at the Plaza at 2:10. Then it will be back to BC to pick up our bags and head to the Winter Park train station for our train, which is at 7ish 😢 We should get home around 6 pm the next day. As usual, I’m getting sad about the end of a trip that hasn’t even happened yet, haha.

So I plan to take lots of pictures, and to hopefully actually write the trip report this time. Please cross your fingers with me that this trip breaks my Disney curse (especially since I will be going to Disney with my dad the day after SW:GE opens in August, so that trip is already cursed!!).

Thanks for reading! :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom