Fourth Disneyland Hotel Officially Cancelled

Stevek

Original Poster
Disneyland Resort spokesman, Liz Jaeger, shared the following statement regarding the cancellation of the project:
“We’ve taken the time to review the economics of our proposed Four Diamond hotel for Anaheim and have made the final decision to cancel the project. While this is disappointing for many, the conditions and agreements that stimulated this investment in Anaheim no longer exist and we must therefore adjust our long-term investment strategy​

https://micechat.com/208298-4th-disneyland-hotel-officially-canceled/

Last edited:

Stevek

Original Poster
Let's hope imagineering figures out something cool to do with the available spaces...I would still love to see some of the concepts from Disney Springs make their way out here...Jock Lindsay's Hangar Bar in combo with a better themed dining experience using the Rainforest building would be a nice start. I wonder if Starbucks makes it's way back in to the old spot as well.

Phroobar

Let's hope imagineering figures out something cool to do with the available spaces...I would still love to see some of the concepts from Disney Springs make their way out here...Jock Lindsay's Hangar Bar in combo with a better themed dining experience using the Rainforest building would be a nice start. I wonder if Starbucks makes it's way back in to the old spot as well.
I though Jock Lindsay's Hangar Bar wasn't popular because tourists didn't understand the reference and timeline. Do you really want to listen to big band music while you get drunk?

Rich T

I though Jock Lindsay's Hangar Bar wasn't popular because tourists didn't understand the reference and timeline. Do you really want to listen to big band music while you get drunk?
I don't get drunk, but I LOVE to listen to big band music anytime, any day. Any tourist who doesn't get the timeline of a setting like that... well, they're probably the same ones searching WDW for Harry Potter Land.

Stevek

Original Poster

Not sure...I personally loved the theming. Didn't really pay attention to the music as much. It would probably be popular with the APs similar to Sam's but I think it would be most successful if it was just a part of a bigger themed restaurant.

Rich T

I wonder if the suits have ever considered something unthinkable, like, I dunno, maybe filling Downtown Disney with shops and restaurants related to.... Disney? Gaston's Tavern? Monsters Inc. Plush Factory? Tiana's Place with performances by Louis the Alligator? Tony's Restaurant and Casey's Corner from WDW? Gusteau's? Al's Toy Barn? Bueno Nacho? And... A *good* rendition of Pizza Planet?

Call me crazy.

Darkbeer1

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/10/10/disney-announces-its-pulling-the-plug-on-anaheim-luxury-hotel/

>>
Plans for a new Disney-branded luxury hotel at the west end of Downtown Disney in Anaheim are dead, and the area will remain focused on shopping, dining and entertainment, Walt Disney Co. officials announced Wednesday.

The proposed four-diamond hotel was expected to draw in business and pleasure travelers seeking high-end accommodations, but it’s been in limbo since August, when the city told Disney a move in the location of the project meant it could no longer receive a promised tax incentive.

On Wednesday, the company officially pulled the plug.

“We’ve taken the time to review the economics of our proposed four-diamond hotel for Anaheim and have made the final decision to cancel the project,” spokeswoman Lisa Haines said in a statement.

“While this is disappointing for many, the conditions and agreements that stimulated this investment in Anaheim no longer exist and we must therefore adjust our long-term investment strategy,” she said.

Construction on the 700-room hotel was supposed to start this year, in time for a 2021 opening. It was projected to create about 1,100 permanent jobs and generate $400 million in hotel room taxes over 20 years, plus millions more in sales and property taxes.<<

>>
Disney officials said they’re looking to bring back food and entertainment venues now that the hotel won’t go forward, but no immediate details were available.

“We would have loved to have seen this hotel go forward, but we understand that the company needed to evaluate whether it was feasible for them,” Anaheim spokesman Mike Lyster said. “We look forward to whatever they may end up doing with the space.”

Haines said the company hopes for a productive relationship with Anaheim city leaders.

In November, Anaheim voters will elect a new mayor and vote on several council seats. They’ll also decide on a measure that would raise wages at Anaheim Resort District businesses that receive city tax subsidies.

Haines said the timing of the hotel cancellation is a business decision unrelated to the election.<<

This was mentioned by Councilmember Kring at last night's City Council Meeting, but many were not sure she spoke correctly.

Darkbeer1

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-disneyland-hotel-canceled-20181010-story.html

>>
Business leaders and others in Anaheim lamented Disney’s change of plans, saying it will mean the city will lose out on adding hundreds of hospitality jobs and much-needed tax revenues.

“This unfortunate outcome underscores just how important it is for the business community to have good city partners who understand economic development and the consequences of bad public policy,” said Lucy Dunn, president and chief executive of the Orange County Business Council, a business advocacy group.

Ron Miller, council secretary for the Los Angeles/Orange Counties Building and Construction Trades Council, which represents 48 local unions and district councils, said the decision also kills hundreds of construction jobs needed to build the hotel project.

“Anaheim needs to figure out how to get back in the job-creation business,” he said.

The decision by Disney comes amid heated feuding in Anaheim over a “living wage” initiative that will appear on the Nov. 6 ballot. The measure has split the community into warring factions who clashed during a lengthy and loud city council meeting Tuesday night.

The initiative — Measure L — was the result of a successful petition drive by unions that represent Disneyland Resort workers. The measure requires hospitality businesses that accept a city subsidy to pay an hourly wage of at least $15 by Jan. 1, with an increase of $1 each year until 2022. Once the hourly salary reaches $18, annual raises would be tied to the cost of living.

When union members began collecting signatures for the initiative this summer, it was clear that the measure applied to the Disneyland Resort because of the 2016 hotel tax rebate agreement and because of another 2016 deal in which the city agreed not to adopt any entertainment taxes for 30 years in exchange for the resort’s promise to invest $1 billion in the site.

But days before union leaders submitted more than 20,000 signatures to qualify the initiative for the ballot, the Anaheim City Council notified Disney that its luxury hotel no longer qualified for the tax rebate.

At the request of Disney, the city later revoked both the hotel tax incentive deal and the gate tax agreement. Disney said it made the request to ease tensions in the city, but unions representing Disney workers said the company was trying to avoid being subject to Measure L.

Union leaders say the living wage initiative still applies to the Disneyland Resort because the city approved an agreement in 1996 agreement to issue 40-year bonds to help the resort build a $108-million, six-story parking garage.

Under the deal, the city is paying off the bonds with taxes collected mostly from Disney but also from bed taxes from hotels throughout the city. Meanwhile, Disney collects the parking revenue from the garage — more than $35 million a year. Once the bond is paid off, the city has agreed to transfer ownership of the garage to the resort.

The bond agreement, union leaders say, fits the definition of a tax benefit for the resort, and therefore Measure L applies.

During Tuesday night’s city council meeting, City Atty. Robert Fabela issued his legal opinion that Measure L does not apply to the Disneyland Resort but it does apply to two other hotels under construction in the city and a retail area known as the Anaheim Garden Walk.

“It doesn’t amount to a tax rebate,” he said of the 1996 bond agreement with the resort.

Councilman Jose Moreno disagreed, saying he think Measure L does apply to the resort and that he plans to support it.

His comments sparked angry responses from fellow council members Kris Murray and Lucille Kring, who said Measure L would scare off future development around the resort.

“I think we are opening a can of worms,” Kring said. “I think this is going to be a disaster.”

Murray noted that the council had also received a letter from Richard McCracken, an attorney who helped write Measure L, saying that the measure does apply to the Disneyland Resort.

“When government gives a private entity money for its own use, that is usually called a subsidy,” McCracken wrote.

With the legal dispute raging, Councilman Stephen Faessel suggested at the meeting that a lawsuit by union leaders will likely be filed to settle the question. “This will likely see the inside of a courtroom,” he said.<<

Stevek

Original Poster
I wonder if the suits have ever considered something unthinkable, like, I dunno, maybe filling Downtown Disney with shops and restaurants related to.... Disney? Gaston's Tavern? Monsters Inc. Plush Factory? Tiana's Place with performances by Louis the Alligator? Tony's Restaurant and Casey's Corner from WDW? Gusteau's? Al's Toy Barn? Bueno Nacho? And... A *good* rendition of Pizza Planet?

Call me crazy.
That would just make too much sense.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

giphy.gif

mickEblu

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/10/10/disney-announces-its-pulling-the-plug-on-anaheim-luxury-hotel/

>>
Plans for a new Disney-branded luxury hotel at the west end of Downtown Disney in Anaheim are dead, and the area will remain focused on shopping, dining and entertainment, Walt Disney Co. officials announced Wednesday.

The proposed four-diamond hotel was expected to draw in business and pleasure travelers seeking high-end accommodations, but it’s been in limbo since August, when the city told Disney a move in the location of the project meant it could no longer receive a promised tax incentive.

On Wednesday, the company officially pulled the plug.

“We’ve taken the time to review the economics of our proposed four-diamond hotel for Anaheim and have made the final decision to cancel the project,” spokeswoman Lisa Haines said in a statement.

“While this is disappointing for many, the conditions and agreements that stimulated this investment in Anaheim no longer exist and we must therefore adjust our long-term investment strategy,” she said.

Construction on the 700-room hotel was supposed to start this year, in time for a 2021 opening. It was projected to create about 1,100 permanent jobs and generate $400 million in hotel room taxes over 20 years, plus millions more in sales and property taxes.<<

>>
Disney officials said they’re looking to bring back food and entertainment venues now that the hotel won’t go forward, but no immediate details were available.

“We would have loved to have seen this hotel go forward, but we understand that the company needed to evaluate whether it was feasible for them,” Anaheim spokesman Mike Lyster said. “We look forward to whatever they may end up doing with the space.”

Haines said the company hopes for a productive relationship with Anaheim city leaders.

In November, Anaheim voters will elect a new mayor and vote on several council seats. They’ll also decide on a measure that would raise wages at Anaheim Resort District businesses that receive city tax subsidies.

Haines said the timing of the hotel cancellation is a business decision unrelated to the election.<<

This was mentioned by Councilmember Kring at last night's City Council Meeting, but many were not sure she spoke correctly.

Does this mean the Garden Grove Hotel is one step closer to happening or that nothing is probably happening for a long time? Or are they just bluffing until the political climate is more favorable and then carry on with their plans for their 4th hotel in Anaheim?

Anyway I don’t Mourn the loss of ESPN Zone, Rainforest cafe or the AMC. Hopefully they bring back some better and more interesting dining options while keeping an area for food trucks. I think the food trucks work quite well at DTD and the concept can be expanded on.

SSG

Call me crazy.
I've advocated this idea for years. They could do a Haunted Mansion resturant with ghostly effects throughout; Club Obi Wan from Temple of Doom; The Bulldog Cafe from the Rocketeer; a Wreck it Ralph video game parlor; bring back Big Thunder Ranch BBQ--tons of possibilities.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom