Formula 1 2023

GimpYancIent

Though Hamilton has tied the great Michael Schumacker for world championships Schumacker still holds the fastest laps record. The goat is still Schumacker, and he did it without jewelry.

GimpYancIent

This will be interesting: "Volkswagen Group CEO Herbet Diess said that both Audi and Porsche will join Formula 1 in the near future, as reported by Reuters." Could this mean a larger field? More seats hence more driver opportunities?

Timmay

Original Poster
8th World championship Lewis will attain eventually just to #%*\ off the haters. But some still make excuses to bring him down. Par for a sport when there is a frequent winner. Jealousy, racism are some of factors of Lewis critics. Fastest car doesn’t drive itself when Lewis won many championships.
Not if he chooses the nose ring he won’t get that 8th championship…and that’s the route he said he’s going.

Timmay

Original Poster
Well that got a wee bit exciting.

Not a great call by Ferrari to skip putting new tires on during the safety car. Good comeback on the weekend by Mercedes. Gasly still can’t catch a break. Stroll must be driving intoxicated…he keeps getting warned for weaving.

Timmay

Original Poster
Huge difference 6 - 12 mph on a long straight can make. A fairly clean race actually w only one yellow with a safety car.
Yeah. I was honestly expecting carnage for much of the race. Shows how good these guys really are…new track, super squirrely every session. They all pretty much nailed it, mostly.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
It’s actually been a rule for some time now, established in 2005…it just wasn’t enforced. Kind of like the “underwear” brush up at the beginning of the year. Drivers weren’t wearing the required fire proof under garments…some even going commando, as it were. The new race directors put a stop to it. Signing a waiver just isn’t enough. Drivers have to wear the HANS, no exceptions. The fact is jewelry can interfere with fireproof clothing. The fact Hamilton says some of his jewelry won’t come off and is basically “welded on” is proof of a safety issue on its own to me. Safety has to come first.

F1 has finally started enforcing the rule. It happens.

My employer and customers modify safety rules from time to time. Regardless if I think the rule is of merit, I must comply. No waiver.
Fair point. I’m relatively new to the sport, my husband has followed for years and I got sucked into it because he watches. I didn’t realize that it was an existing unenforced rule.

Nubs70

I must be thinking street courses. The tight walls and poor/limited sight lines. The track at Spa is beautiful. Track in Miami, Dubai, etc are awful

Timmay

Original Poster
I must be thinking street courses. The tight walls and poor/limited sight lines. The track at Spa is beautiful. Track in Miami, Dubai, etc are awful
Some street courses are definitely better than others…Baku is awesome while Monaco is boring. Permanent courses also have the same issue. Abu Dhabi boring, Brazil pretty exciting.

Street courses certainly make for a more exciting qualification session due to the possibility of red flags, to me anyway. But yes, sometimes they aren’t very exciting races, and difficult to watch if you aren’t super familiar with the track.

Timmay

Original Poster

GimpYancIent

True. There are too many street courses that are slot car tracks, narrow, high walled and blind cornered affairs that limited if any passing zones. Sadly, the iconic Monaco Gran Prix is one of those races. Spa, Silverstone, Hockenheim, circuit of America etc. are road circuits with run off areas and multiple passing zones plus the drivers can see. Still the assortment of circuits makes the F1 series the challenge it is. Cars are meant to turn both right and left not just left.

Nubs70

Yeah. I don’t get this. His radio traffic from last year was consistently about how upset he was his team didn’t take his advice. So, it really doesn’t make sense. He’s frustrated, obviously.
I find it perplexing that the 7 time world champion would not have the expertise and learned judgement to over rule or reason with his handlers like a driver 13 years his junior did.

senor_jorge

Barbara Eden+? Bring it!!
I find it perplexing that the 7 time world champion would not have the expertise and learned judgement to over rule or reason with his handlers like a driver 13 years his junior did.

I tend to side with Hamilton a bit on who should have made the call this time. The crew had the more complete picture.

That being said, I think he’s being reminded how much more difficult the job is when you aren’t in a dominant car. I’m waiting on someone to set the O/U on the number of races before hats are being slung back and forth in the Mercedes compound;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom