Former VP Details Original Star Wars Land Plans

doctornick

The Version one I know of had nothing new. Reskin of the echo area for an indoor academy and the existing cafe became the Cantina. Version two elaborated on this and replaced Indy with the attraction(s:

I feel like @JediMasterMatt 's recap is probably one of the best that you will get. The original DHS proposal (all of the following is my opinion, and should be treated as such) was bad. To me it came across as if the design principles behind Star Tours and the original Midway Mania threw up all over Echo Lake. I have always found Echo Lake to be near integral to the place making of Hollywood Studios, showing how nature still encroaches on the urban environment, but we tame it to meet our needs. I personally am difficult to get on board with any proposal that gets rid of the lake. Any proposal that uses the Indy Plot, whether for a major attraction or land, should have a berm near where the entrance to the show is now, and the "ground level" should sit where the stage floor for the show is. But, I digress, this is about the Star Wars proposal that mostly consisted of a series of permanent overlays and reworks of existing facilities that really only built upon what Disney knew people would go for through pre-existing brand activations (think Cantina or Jedi Training). Eventually this proposal evolved to partially take over the Indy plot for a new attraction, but, even if they plopped Rise in the middle of Indy and did the rest of the existing proposal, I would have a very hard time giving it my personal stamp of approval.
Also, the DL proposal was slick, but still suffered from older design principles, and would have been seen as mildly obsolete post-Potter. For an idea of what that would look like, look at how they are treating the Marvel property in Hong Kong. Imagine if that was Star Wars and in Disneyland.

Okay, that's kind of what I thought. So, basically, yes, there was an idea to have a Tatooine-themed land around Echo Lake area which was pretty minimalist and lame. (And IIRC meanwhile in DL there were plans to do a spaceport themed concept replacing all/part of Tomorrowland but with minimal attractions as well - I remember a walk through of the Falcon being a big highlight.) At some point, the powers that be decided to push for something much grander and that's when the Galaxy's Edge developed.

The OP claimed that the Tatooine plans for DHS were more ambitious, but it seems that was all blue sky and never approved stuff. And I'm sure there were some awesome ideas - just like I'm sure there were/are some awesome ideas for additional stuff to put into Galaxy's Edge that was never approved (or cut). But I don't get the sense that there was ever a supercool OT Tatooine land that was pushed aside in favor of a ST-oriented Batuu. The former never existed.

This whole thread just strikes me as another attempt to air grievances against Kennedy using any information possible to try to paint her in a seemingly bad light.

(Please note: I have no strong opinions about Kennedy either way. In fact, I would just as soon see her removed as head of Lucasfilm at this point; I just think it's funny to see how much some people go out of their way to blame her for anything they can.)

Really?

I don't see how anyone could spend a full day in Galaxy's Edge; there's just not enough there. I don't think I could even spend half of a day there without getting bored because I would have already seen/done everything. I suppose if you wanted to play with the stuff in the app you could stay there longer, but I got bored with that relatively quickly.

I don't mean that as a knock on Galaxy's Edge, by the way. I wasn't as impressed as other people (too much empty space and upcharged experiences) but it's still pretty good and has some cool details. But it's a relatively small area in a relatively small theme park; I don't think even Disney expects people to be able to spend all day there.
The sense I got from my wife was that she just wanted to "be" there....absorb it on a slower pace...shopping, exploring, and such

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not for me. Both are great theming. SW fans just refuse to accept something that they don't already know.
Boy...that’s a cop out excuse for a cop out theme.

I love how pro-Disney fans have now fully embraced the “pro-George” stance from 20 years ago that downplays any criticism and childish motive.

Maybe things just have no life to them and that’s a creative fail...instead of it being some insidious underground subversive movement?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So... SWL is an example where the blue sky was 'value engineered' and Disney decided to greatly invest and upgrade it; rather than the other way around.
Or Perhaps the bar was set so low the they made it “better” without coming close to potential?

I’m not gonna argue the land...but there is more than one legitimate way to look at it.

This is devolving into the typical “hate of criticisms” under the guise of “not tolerating hate”

And so the wheel spins

No Name

Like a Monsters Coaster and a Cars darkride?

There is still space for those ideas, and space that could be used for more creative and exciting ideas, when they decide to do something down the road. For now, it’s nice to have a run-down, war-torn area that isn’t too visible from the front of Hollywood Blvd.

Grouping all of Star Wars together would have made for a better park, imho. Losing echo lake wouldn’t be ideal, I like that area, but the only attraction that would have been lost is Indiana Jones.

We lost the tram tour, Lights Motors, Streets of America which allowed for Osborne Lights, the earful tower, and the ability to do quality fireworks shows.

I do agree that having Star Wars in your face as you enter the park would not have been totally ideal.

The backlot tour and earful tower would’ve likely been gone even if the Star Wars land were built in the echo lake area. Ultimately a lot was lost either way and for the money spent, the park’s overall capacity is not where it should be. The lines are nearly unbearable and Galaxy’s Edge isn’t even pulling the crowds they anticipated.

TrainsOfDisney

Looking on google maps, it would appear that the rise show building would fit on the Indiana Jones footprint.

Ideally they would have built Rise there, with old Hollywood facade facing echo lake, with an old time bandshell where live performances could take place (Live big band mixed in with Citizens of Hollywood Radio shows).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You mean in 2021, when her contract is up and she's of retirement age and she retires, then they'll finally fire her?

;)
Yes...that’s exactly what I mean.

But if we have no new significant project develop and still no new movies being worked on(there are none...if we check the scoreboard)....

Then isn’t she really “gone” already? LFL is in the cooler...one mando doesn’t a major Hollywood IP powerhouse make...

Good god - please tell me they’re delaying the next embarrassing Indiana Jones 😳...I forgot about that...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Ah yes, the PIXAR area that could have been. That said, I'll be honest to saying that I preferred the placemaking of TSL. While it could definitely aim to do better on content, the original proposal (IMO) continued the old DHS aesthetic that relied a bit too much on urban environments..
So basically.... new Fantasyland? Some fancy rocks to look at, “enchanted tales with Yoda” and maybe an attraction but nothing on the level of Rise?
Yep
.But I don't get the sense that there was ever a supercool OT Tatooine land that was pushed aside in favor of a ST-oriented Batuu.
I don’t think anyone said there was. The first proposal was dirt cheap. The second was messy.

The potential backlash against Batuu and the timeline was yet to come.
So... SWL is an example where the blue sky was 'value engineered' and Disney decided to greatly invest and upgrade it; rather than the other way around.
Its no secret. The official press release narrative peddled by the bosses is that Iger “sent the plans back and said dream big.”
There is still space for those ideas..
There is. The Animation building area has been looked at for a door coaster. Again.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom