Former VP Details Original Star Wars Land Plans

WDW Pro

Original Poster
Read through this, then go back through my history and see if this doesn't line up 100% with what I said, even down to the original location of the cantina. And do you know why people normally can't tell this sort of thing unless it's anonymous? Because you'll be blacklisted in the entertainment industry, and you run the risk of forgetting an NDA in small print somewhere on an initialed paper from 15 years ago.

Dragonman

Read through this, then go back through my history and see if this doesn't line up 100% with what I said, even down to the original location of the cantina. And do you know why people normally can't tell this sort of thing unless it's anonymous? Because you'll be blacklisted in the entertainment industry, and you run the risk of forgetting an NDA in small print somewhere on an initialed paper from 15 years ago.

“At the urging of Kathleen Kennedy”. That about sums it up right there.

I’d take Tatooine over Batuu any day.

Jtdancy

The original plan sounds great... but if you read the part about being near Star Tours, I imagine the original concept would not have been a full, separate, immersive land (kind of like the original Imagineering plan for Harry Potter was a mini land in MK) ...

I think the Batuu we got is most likely a richer, more immersive land than originally planned. They can sort out (re-theme) time lines in the future.

WDW Pro

Original Poster
This is where it made sense to put the land.... Indiana Jones stunt show is far more dated than lights motors... it would have grouped all of Star Wars attractions together and used Star Tours... it would have left streets of America for Osborne lights... it just made so much more sense.

The plan that was in place just prior to KK throwing everything in the bin was to have the Tatooine version he's discussing in that area with Star Tours included, and then you would be able to ride to a new "planet" that would have seen a huge Star Wars land where the new employee parking lot is. The new "planet" area would have been connected to a hotel.

The Grand Inquisitor

Of course Kathleen Kennedy was behind the idea. Why wouldn't you build Tatooine? It makes perfect sense.

The Grand Inquisitor

The plan that was in place just prior to KK throwing everything in the bin was to have the Tatooine version he's discussing in that area with Star Tours included, and then you would be able to ride to a new "planet" that would have seen a huge Star Wars land where the new employee parking lot is. The new "planet" area would have been connected to a hotel.
That makes a lot of sense. Why wouldn't they divide it into 3 sections for the prequels, the original trilogy, then the sequel trilogy. Then everyone is happy.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
This is where it made sense to put the land.... Indiana Jones stunt show is far more dated than lights motors... it would have grouped all of Star Wars attractions together and used Star Tours... it would have left streets of America for Osborne lights... it just made so much more sense.
Have a look at this from 2015 - this was much of what is being talked about now

WDW Pro

Original Poster
That makes a lot of sense. Why wouldn't they divide it into 3 sections for the prequels, the original trilogy, then the sequel trilogy. Then everyone is happy.

The original concept was to do something that would unify all three. There would have been a jedi temple in which you would encounter former jedi as well as see into the future. This was a means by which to adapt as stories developed over the next decade. Ideas for this were eventually folded into the lightsaber experience.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
The original plan sounds great... but if you read the part about being near Star Tours, I imagine the original concept would not have been a full, separate, immersive land (kind of like the original Imagineering plan for Harry Potter was a mini land in MK) ...

I think the Batuu we got is most likely a richer, more immersive land than originally planned. They can sort out (re-theme) time lines in the future.
The original plan on echo lake was a full land.

The Grand Inquisitor

The original concept was to do something that would unify all three. There would have been a jedi temple in which you would encounter former jedi as well as see into the future. This was a means by which to adapt as stories developed over the next decade. Ideas for this were eventually folded into the lightsaber experience.
Wow that sounds incredible.

Getachew

I honestly would have no problem with that. Personally I would have dived into 3 sections. Tatooine, Endor, and Batuu.

That would have been cool. I kind of understand why they built identical lands in both WDW and DLR, but I never agreed with it. Tatooine would have brought in big $$$ for Disney. So many OT fans out there.

WDW Pro

Original Poster
Have a look at this from 2015 - this was much of what is being talked about now

Not bad. You guys had good sources back then. Everything east of Echo Lake is spot on, and then there would have been a connection to even more (including Character Dining and Jedi Training) in the expanded area that eventually became the cast parking. The secondary exit from that area was at LAM. The layout you have is from prior to TFA, but funding was ready to increase greatly thereafter.

But literally years of work was wiped out in a single call, with months left to start completely over. Also, this is part of how Lucasfilm Story Group got the chance to suddenly decide theme park design with zero experience or expertise.

The Grand Inquisitor

Not bad. You guys had good sources back then. Everything east of Echo Lake is spot on, and then there would have been a connection to even more (including Character Dining and Jedi Training) in the expanded area that eventually became the cast parking. The secondary exit from that area was at LAM. The layout you have is from prior to TFA, but funding was ready to increase greatly thereafter.

But literally years of work was wiped out in a single call, with months left to start completely over. Also, this is part of how Lucasfilm Story Group got the chance to suddenly decide theme park design with zero experience or expertise.
It really is a shame. I prefer this 100% over what we got. But I still do appreciate Galaxy's Edge.

Mickey5150

Had they done that people would still be complaining. Honestly no matter what they did they were screwed. I've been a fan from the beginning and I think Galaxy's Edge is one of the greatest things ever so I don't mind.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom