Former Disneyland annual passholders complain about lack of priority ticket access for parks’ return - OCR/SCNG

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
>>Once Disneyland and DCA finally reopen, passholders may not be able to get into the parks for weeks and even months depending on how quickly tickets sell out.

“This makes no sense. Like at all,” wrote @ethermac on Twitter. “Legacy passholders get no type of early access for tickets? Like nothing at all?”<<

>>Disney CEO Bob Chapek said long-distance travelers that book multiple-night stays and spend more in Disney parks are “more valuable” than annual passholders.

“Typically someone who travels and stays for five days to seven days is marginally more valuable to the business than someone who comes in on an annual pass and stays a day or two and consumes less merchandise and food and beverage,” Chapek said in August during an earnings call.

Disneyland officials won’t say how many people had annual passes, but theme park industry observers estimate the number to be 1 million.

“Disneyland got rid of APs specifically because the pent-up demand of 1,000,000 passholders would monopolize the reopened parks’ reservation system for months,” Park Lore theme park blogger Brian Krosnick wrote on Twitter. “Of course Legacy Passholders don’t get priority. That’s sort of the point of getting rid of the AP program.”<<

ToTBellHop

>>Once Disneyland and DCA finally reopen, passholders may not be able to get into the parks for weeks and even months depending on how quickly tickets sell out.

“This makes no sense. Like at all,” wrote @ethermac on Twitter. “Legacy passholders get no type of early access for tickets? Like nothing at all?”<<

>>Disney CEO Bob Chapek said long-distance travelers that book multiple-night stays and spend more in Disney parks are “more valuable” than annual passholders.

“Typically someone who travels and stays for five days to seven days is marginally more valuable to the business than someone who comes in on an annual pass and stays a day or two and consumes less merchandise and food and beverage,” Chapek said in August during an earnings call.

Disneyland officials won’t say how many people had annual passes, but theme park industry observers estimate the number to be 1 million.

“Disneyland got rid of APs specifically because the pent-up demand of 1,000,000 passholders would monopolize the reopened parks’ reservation system for months,” Park Lore theme park blogger Brian Krosnick wrote on Twitter. “Of course Legacy Passholders don’t get priority. That’s sort of the point of getting rid of the AP program.”<<

It makes sense, honestly. People would just grab dozens of park reservations.

AJFireman

I have seen this complaint all over social media as well. My feelings on this is April 15 will be like a Legacy Passholder buying day. It will be quite the process to buy tickets and get reservations (if like the WDW process which all indications it will be). Also there will be a virtual que and have to sit and wait for hours in it possibly 2 queues one for each process. I just dont see the casual park visitor doing all that. They will just waiting for the dust to settle and picking up whats left or waiting for the next release of reservations since they will only be released up to 60 days in advance.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
I mean it's silly to me, they are acting like Disneyland is some limited resource. It'll be around forever 365 days a year, pending something like a global pandemic or disaster.
These former AP holders have been able to go to Disneyland practically whenever they wanted (depending on their tier) for many years. They have a long therapeutic road ahead of them.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
I have seen this complaint all over social media as well. My feelings on this is April 15 will be like a Legacy Passholder buying day. It will be quite the process to buy tickets and get reservations (if like the WDW process which all indications it will be). Also there will be a virtual que and have to sit and wait for hours in it possibly 2 queues one for each process. I just dont see the casual park visitor doing all that. They will just waiting for the dust to settle and picking up whats left or waiting for the next release of reservations since they will only be released up to 60 days in advance.
Disneyland isn't known for doing things like WDW. I don't foresee virtual queues here. If it's done like the Flex Pass, which is already a proven reservation system here on the west coast, it's a rolling 60 days ahead, not blocks of 60 days which renew when 60 days is up. As each day passes, a new day will open up that is 60 days ahead. You want to go August 4th? Then you stay up until midnight 61 days prior (or whatever time the days are released). Otherwise, you keep watch and hope reservations cancel and days open up sooner on the calendar. When I had the Flex Pass I saw some days fill up and then become available again, sometimes several times a day.

If a day is available, you click on it and your reservation will be held for the time it takes to finish the process or released if you cancel. Kind of like buying seats to an event on Ticketmaster. I may be wrong, but that's how I believe it will happen.

CaptinEO

These former AP holders have been able to go to Disneyland practically whenever they wanted (depending on their tier) for many years. They have a long therapeutic road ahead of them.
You are right. It will be quite a wake up call. I think the amount of people "dying for Disneyland to reopen" wont even be close to the people expecting that they can buy an Annual Pass like the old days.

Last edited:

waltography

Any idea yet on whether it's a good idea to go through the website or the app to purchase tickets/make reservations? My instinct is web is likely more responsive, but unsure if it'll make a meaningful difference (or if it'll matter at all come the 15th).

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Incorrect. EVERYONE including "casual park visitors" were trying to get tickets to touch of disney. you are wrong

cmwade77

The problem is Disney isn't showing any loyalty to passholders. This is especially disturbing considering that passholders have literally kept them up.and running during the most difficult times, such as after 9/11.

Disneyland is far more dependent on locals (especially now that they can only let California residents in) and honestly, other parks on the area are indeed showing loyalty to their passholders and showing they are valued based on their actions. This will have dire consequences for Disney unless they shape up. It won't be immediate, but it will happen.

Tamandua

I don't think Disney owes priority to legacy passholders. I am a legacy passholder and I didn't expect it. However, I do think it was a crappy move by Disney to cancel everyone's passes just so they can sell them back at a higher price. They could have done what universal is doing and give passholders a bonus period that doesn't count against their year to let the initial demand even out while capacity gradually increases. I'm not a huge fan of universal, but I've been pretty impressed with how they've handled this. Far better than Disney.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
I don't think Disney owes priority to legacy passholders. I am a legacy passholder and I didn't expect it. However, I do think it was a crappy move by Disney to cancel everyone's passes just so they can sell them back at a higher price. They could have done what universal is doing and give passholders a bonus period that doesn't count against their year to let the initial demand even out while capacity gradually increases. I'm not a huge fan of universal, but I've been pretty impressed with how they've handled this. Far better than Disney.

I am impressed by Cedar Fair, they announced a one year extension or everyone early in 2020 (good through 2021), and for Knott's, the only year round park in the chain, that the passes are good through May of 2022.

Six Flags did it a funky way, but those who stayed members got a one level upgrade through 2022, and now can get gift cards for the amounts paid during the pandemic.

As mentioned, SeaWorld/Busch Gardens did good. Our passes go back from before we got married. At the time, they promised no price increases if you kept the plan on Autopay. Currently what we pay for 2 passes is about what one costs today.

DLR>WDW

I wonder if we’re going to run into another situation similar to SWGE’s 2019 opening season. Disney blocked nearly every annual pass level with the expectation of the park being packed with guests paying full admission—but that never materialized. While that is partially due to the lackluster reception of the land (which also led Disney to rethinking their entire pricing structure), it isn’t out of the realm of possibility that it happens again, though unlikely considering how their $75 ”walk around DCA and eat” sold out in within several hours. Again, I don’t think this will happen and I expect demand to be off the charts.. but it is an interesting “what if” scenario.

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
I wonder if we’re going to run into another situation similar to SWGE’s 2019 opening season. Disney blocked nearly every annual pass level with the expectation of the park being packed with guests paying full admission—and that never materialized. While that is partially due to the lackluster reception of the land (also led Disney to rethinking their entire pricing structure), it isn’t out of the realm of possibility that it happens again, especially considering how their $75 ”walk around DCA and eat” sold out in within several hours. Again, I don’t think this will happen and I expect demand to be off the charts.. but it is an interesting “what if” scenario.

How many DLR AP holders have decided to switch to other parks AP/SP with payment plans?

In the area you have USH, SFMM, Knott's, Castle Park, Boomers, LEGOLAND and SeaWorld/Aquatica. I know groups who have switched, such as the Billy Hill fans to Knott's, with many positive responses, especially with the freedoms that Krazy Kirk got to go off script.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
The problem is Disney isn't showing any loyalty to passholders. This is especially disturbing considering that passholders have literally kept them up.and running during the most difficult times, such as after 9/11.

Disneyland is far more dependent on locals (especially now that they can only let California residents in) and honestly, other parks on the area are indeed showing loyalty to their passholders and showing they are valued based on their actions. This will have dire consequences for Disney unless they shape up. It won't be immediate, but it will happen.
What does Disney owe the passholders? Did the passholders overpay all these years? Quite the contrary. Disney allowed people to visit Disneyland for pennies on the dollar with their AP program. They even offered discounts and exclusivity to special merch (which many of them profited off of by selling it on eBay). Disney gave many perks to passholders that they didn't give to everyone else. Universal is being generous simply to throw shade at Disney and because being a smaller more half-day park they need all the loyalty they can generate.

Should Disney have shown some support to legacy passholder? Probably, but I don't think they particularly owe it to them. Disneyland fans have short-term memories and will keep coming back regardless.

I really don't believe Disneyland depends on locals at all. I think non-locals simply decided not to come anymore because the locals made it too crowded all the time. I don't think Disneyland would have any problems attracting guests without an AP program. I think many more families will be willing to take their vacations at the DLR knowing the locals won't be crowding the place and coming in at 4pm taking up precious parade-watching curb space.

Disney wouldn't have pulled the program if they hadn't already been wanting to for a while. With the possibilities for further expansion on the horizon, I think Disney wants to shift Disneyland away from being a locals park and turn it into a broader resort destination.

waltography

I wonder if we’re going to run into another situation similar to SWGE’s 2019 opening season. Disney blocked nearly every annual pass level with the expectation of the park being packed with guests paying full admission—and that never materialized. While that is partially due to the lackluster reception of the land (also led Disney to rethinking their entire pricing structure), it isn’t out of the realm of possibility that it happens again, especially considering how their $75 ”walk around DCA and eat” sold out in within several hours. Again, I don’t think this will happen and I expect demand to be off the charts.. but it is an interesting “what if” scenario.
Don't we all wish Disney's reopening won't be the battle royale it'll inevitably be. 😅 But Universal's ticketing process has been smooth sailing today, and they've only sold out of tickets on Saturday the 17th as of writing this post, so who knows.

DanielBB8

I’m pretty sure he’s only referring to Disney World in Orlando where guests can stay on-site for 5 to 7 days, but otherwise Annual Passholders would be the second most valuable guests who spend marginally less money throughout the year. Disneyland Resort lagged in hotel rooms so they can’t even accommodate a traveller who wants to visit longer. What they doing is a lot of nothing. Rationales that have no basis in decisions.

Annual Passholders are loyalty customers. They just can’t have them now due to low capacity, but it’s quite funny how APs are still available at Disney World in Florida. Governor Gruesome really messed up California by having severe stay at home restrictions. If you’re an AP, you should demand his recall.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom