Forbes: Netflix Has 175 Days Left To Pull Off A Miracle... Or It's All Over (because of Disney+)

prberk

Original Poster
I saw this article in Forbes yesterday, and I have to say that it is very compelling.

The whole article can be found here: https://www.forbes.com/sites/stephe...l-off-a-miracle-or-its-all-over/#1752c93f75c4

But here is the main text:

Netflix Has 175 Days Left To Pull Off A Miracle... Or It's All Over

Last year, half of Americans aged 22 to 45 watched zero hours of cable TV. And almost 35 million households have quit cable in the past decade.

All these people are moving to streaming services like Netflix (NFLX). Today, more than half of American households subscribe to a streaming service.

The media calls this “cord cutting.”

This trend is far more disruptive than most people understand. The downfall of cable is releasing billions in stock market wealth.

Combined, America’s five biggest cable companies are worth over $750 billion. And most investors assume Netflix will claim the bulk of profits that cable leaves behind.

So far, they’ve been right. Have you seen Netflix’s stock price? Holy cow. It has rocketed 8,300% since 2009, leaving even Amazon in the dust:

uncaptioned

But don’t let its past success fool you.

Because Netflix is not the future of TV. Let me say that one more time… Netflix is not the future of TV.

Netflix changed how we watch TV, but it didn’t really change what we watch…

Netflix has achieved its incredible growth by taking distribution away from cable companies. Instead of watching The Office on cable, people now watch The Office on Netflix.

This edge isn’t sustainable.

In a world where you can watch practically anything whenever you want, dominance in distribution is very fragile.

Because the internet has opened up a whole world of choice, featuring great exclusive content is now far more important than anything else.

For example, about 20 million people tuned in to watch the first episode of the latest season of hit show Game of Thrones.

It was one of the most-watched non-sporting events in TV history.

Netflix management knows content is king. The company spent $12 billion developing original shows last year. It released 88% more original programming in 2018 than it did the previous year.

And spending on original shows and movies is expected to hit $15 billion this year.

It now invests more in content than any other American TV network.

To fund its new shows, Netflix is borrowing huge sums of debt. It currently owes creditors $10.4 billion, which is 59% more than it owed this time last year.

The problem is that no matter how much Netflix spends, it has no chance to catch up with its biggest rival…

Disney Enters the Race
The Walt Disney Company (DIS) is one of America’s most iconic companies.

Walt Disney created Mickey Mouse way back in 1928. Over the following eight decades the company built an empire.

Over 160 million people visited its theme parks last year. And it’s among the world’s largest media companies.

But over the past decade a core part of its business has been disrupted.

More than a third of Disney’s revenue comes from its cable business. As you may know, Disney owns leading sports network ESPN and ABC News.

It makes money delivering this content to millions of Americans through cable providers like AT&T. As you can imagine, cord cutting has hit this business hard.

Disney’s cable business has stagnated over the past seven years. But in about 175 days, Disney is set to launch its own streaming service called Disney+.

It’s going to charge $6.99/month—around $6 cheaper than Netflix.

And it’s pulling all its content off of Netflix.

This is a big deal.

The Undisputed King of Content
Disney owns Marvel, Pixar Animations, Star Wars, ESPN, National Geographic, Modern Family, and The Simpsons. Not to mention all the classic characters like Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck.

In six of the past seven years, Disney has produced the world’s top-selling movie.

Here’s a list of the five highest-earning movies of 2018:
  1. Avengers Infinity War
  2. Black Panther
  3. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
  4. Incredibles 2
  5. Bohemian Rhapsody
All except Jurassic World are Disney productions. Clearly, Disney is king of the blockbuster. Over the past six years, its average film has raked in $1.2 billion at the box office.

So Long Netflix…
Picture this…

Disney puts a blockbuster like Avengers Endgame on its platform the same day it opens in theaters.

After a few weeks it’s no longer in theaters. You can’t buy it. You can’t rent it. The only way to watch is to subscribe to Disney’s steaming service, Disney+.

For example, the only place your children or grandchildren will be able to see Toy Story 4 and Frozen 2 may be on Disney+.

Can you imagine how many parents will sign up for this? I’ll certainly be subscribing for my daughter.

At $6.99/month, what family with kids under 12 years wouldn’t subscribe?

Plus, Disney owns 60% of America’s second-largest and fastest-growing streaming service, Hulu.

Disney has shown it can produce movies and shows people want to watch. No competitor comes within 1,000 miles of Disney’s world of content.

Disney’s ownership of iconic franchises like Star Wars gives it something no money can buy.

Meanwhile, Netflix will lose a lot of its best content—and potentially millions of subscribers who switch to Disney+.

While Netflix is running into debt “trying out” new shows, Disney already has the best of the best in its arsenal.

Download my report The Great Disruptors: 3 Breakthrough Stocks Set to Double Your Money. These stocks will hand you 100% gains as they disrupt whole industries. Get your free copy here.

Stephen McBride

Stephen McBride
Contributor

Stephen McBride is a professional fund manager and the chief analyst at RiskHedge.

CJR

I think Netflix will be fine so long they keep their bigger shows around. They do need to slow down though because they have put out a lot of junk in between hits like Stranger Things. It's not about how much content you have, but what the content is.

Indy_UK

The article is under the assumption that movies will be on Disney+ the same day as the cinema, which it isn't. Think it's 9 months later.

If there was a more expensive tier that did offer that then I'd be all over that too

Disney Analyst

The article is under the assumption that movies will be on Disney+ the same day as the cinema, which it isn't. Think it's 9 months later.

If there was a more expensive tier that did offer that then I'd be all over that too

OH MY GOSH! You are brilliant! Pitch that to Disney. A premiere account that allows you same day release streaming! WOW.

CaptainAmerica

I think Netflix will be fine so long they keep their bigger shows around. They do need to slow down though because they have put out a lot of junk in between hits like Stranger Things. It's not about how much content you have, but what the content is.
Netflix has exactly ONE must-watch show. There's nothing stopping people from signing up for Stranger Things and then cancelling their subscription a week later once they've watched the whole season.

That's not sustainable. Just ask HBO how many subscriptions they lost in the last four days.

CJR

Netflix has exactly ONE must-watch show. There's nothing stopping people from signing up for Stranger Things and then cancelling their subscription a week later once they've watched the whole season.

That's not sustainable. Just ask HBO how many subscriptions they lost in the last four days.

Depends on what you define as "must watch". Netflix covers more ground. I know people that have Netflix for Stranger Things, but also enjoy Fuller House, 13 Reasons Why, BoJack Horseman, and Orange is the New Black. There are others too, I'm sure.

DisneyGigi

I did the same thing with AHS with FoxNow so I could watch it early. Cancel as soon as it is over. If this season looks good probably do it again. I have Netflix but in all reality I never watch it but to watch Friends without having to stick my dvds in. (And very rare) I actually should probably cancel it lol

LSLS

The article actually hits on exactly how Netflix could be ok. Game of thrones brought 20 million viewers. Guess what kind of show will not be on Disney +? Sure it's going to be a near-must for people with 10 and under. But what about that whole generation doing the cutting? Sure they will want some Disney movies. But those grown up shows arent going on Disney. There is where Netflix makes their money.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The article actually hits on exactly how Netflix could be ok. Game of thrones brought 20 million viewers. Guess what kind of show will not be on Disney +? Sure it's going to be a near-must for people with 10 and under. But what about that whole generation doing the cutting? Sure they will want some Disney movies. But those grown up shows arent going on Disney. There is where Netflix makes their money.
Well sure if you're only looking at solely on Disney+ as its geared more toward families.

But Disney now has 100% control of Hulu as of last week (and by 2024 will likely be 100% owner too). So with the combination of Disney+ and Hulu I think Netflix has met its match. Hulu will be geared to the adult content for Disney that won't go on Disney+, including a lot of the Fox properties they just acquired.

So Netflix will likely lose a bunch of subs to the combo package of Disney+ and Hulu.

erasure fan1

We have Netflix and I really think it's just Meh. Outside of a few things here or there it isn't worth it in my eyes. I went to cancel and my wife wants to keep it until Disney+ starts. Then it's done. The only thing coming to Netflix that really interests me is the witcher series. And if it is good, I'll do like what @CaptainAmerica said, I'll sign back up for a month watch the things I want and be done.

The same things can be said for Disney+. Once the price increases start (and they WILL start) the original content better be great. I can see myself keeping it for a few months, watching the stuff I want, then canceling. I could also love it and never cancel. As they say, content is king, and Disney has a lot of it so advantage them. But it's still way early to count out Netflix.

doctornick

Yeah, because Star Wars and Marvel don't resonate with any adults....

It's true that Disney+ won't have "adult" content in terms of sex or (significant) violence, but the content won't be exclusively or even predominantly aimed at children. Most "Disney" stuff is more 4 quadrant -- appealing to everyone -- than geared specifically at children. And as has been mentioned Hulu will be available for more "adult" stuff and there will be packages to get multiple streaming services from Disney (family Disney+, adult Hulu, sports ESPN+)

doctornick

Regarding Netflix, I do think its an interesting question about their content. They are spending a crapload on new productions as mentioned, but I wonder if they would be better served to use their current market advantage to actually buy content. Outright purchases of film or TV libraries could have filled content for Netflix for a while and proided something to mine for potential sequels/remakes.

Has Neflix even made significant content purchases? I feel like they pretty exclusively have been licensing except for their in house productions.

LSLS

Yeah, because Star Wars and Marvel don't resonate with any adults....

It's true that Disney+ won't have "adult" content in terms of sex or (significant) violence, but the content won't be exclusively or even predominantly aimed at children. Most "Disney" stuff is more 4 quadrant -- appealing to everyone -- than geared specifically at children. And as has been mentioned Hulu will be available for more "adult" stuff and there will be packages to get multiple streaming services from Disney (family Disney+, adult Hulu, sports ESPN+)

I think you mistook what I was saying. I think there is a significant market outside of disney+. Absolutly hulu could take it, but my point is I dont think disney+ is the end of Netflix.

CaptainAmerica

We have Netflix and I really think it's just Meh. Outside of a few things here or there it isn't worth it in my eyes. I went to cancel and my wife wants to keep it until Disney+ starts. Then it's done. The only thing coming to Netflix that really interests me is the witcher series. And if it is good, I'll do like what @CaptainAmerica said, I'll sign back up for a month watch the things I want and be done.

The same things can be said for Disney+. Once the price increases start (and they WILL start) the original content better be great. I can see myself keeping it for a few months, watching the stuff I want, then canceling. I could also love it and never cancel. As they say, content is king, and Disney has a lot of it so advantage them. But it's still way early to count out Netflix.
I actually don't think the original content is especially important. The library is what will keep people in.

More people hold on to Netflix for The Office and Parks and Rec than for the original programming.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I actually don't think the original content is especially important. The library is what will keep people in.

More people hold on to Netflix for The Office and Parks and Rec than for the original programming.

That only would hold true if we keep watching the same shows forever... the point of original content is it doesn't change with licensing whims (like Disney content) and you actually reap all the benefits of a shows success... and not just subscriptions.

The future is many shows we want will never original on network TV...

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I think you mistook what I was saying. I think there is a significant market outside of disney+. Absolutly hulu could take it, but my point is I dont think disney+ is the end of Netflix.
And this is where I think you were being shortsighted in your other post by only looking at Disney+. Its not about ONLY Disney+, which is why Disney has moved to take full control of Hulu. Its the combination of Disney+ and Hulu that will take down Netflix. There is just far too much content that Disney has at its fingers for Netflix to compete long term as content is costly.

What I predict is that in the future Netflix will end up being bought by another company such as Apple or Amazon.

Princess Leia

I’m probably going to get rid of my Netflix this year and start using my friend’s account (she offered, as long as I chip in a couple dollars a month). For original content, I really enjoy Stranger Things and The Crown the most, but recently I’ve just been rewatching Jane the Virgin.

If NBC decides to start their own streaming service, Netflix loses Friends, The Office, and Parks & Rec. That’s going to hurt them.

Prince-1

Well thank god your opinion isn't actually accurate at all. There may be ONE must-watch show for you but there are many others that move the needle.

CaptainAmerica

Well thank god your opinion isn't actually accurate at all. There may be ONE must-watch show for you but there are many others that move the needle.
Netflix has many very good shows. Stranger Things is the only one that's a cultural must-watch where people across the country are discussing with their friends the way they do Game of Thrones. A very simple data point is to go to the Netflix YouTube page and look at their most watched videos.

Stranger Things Season 3 trailer - 28 million views
Stranger Things Season 2 trailer - 20 million views
Stranger Things Season 2 Super Bowl ad - 16 million views
Jessica Jones - 11 million views CANCELLED
13 Reasons Why Season 2 trailer - 10 million views

That's a ridiculous drop-off.

Making a Murderer was another must-watch, but that's not sustainable for obvious reasons.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom