FOR FUN, worst place to have to drive

eliza61nyc

Original Poster
Naturally since the announcement of DME going away there has been a lot of discussion around traffic and driving near WDW. Now I learned to drive in NYC so in my arrogance I thought that nothing drive wise could ruffle my feathers and then I went to...... Athens Greece. Taking a cab in Athens had me praying to just about every God up in the Acropolis. One cab driver told me that the red light was a "suggestion" after he blew threw a few of them and I said something.

so wheres the worst place you've had to drive while on vacation. Don't include your daily commute. ;)

StarWarsGirl

I've only actually driven in a few of the places I've been, but I think LA takes the cake for worst drivers (I'm so glad I wasn't actually driving).

Of the states I've driven in, Maryland, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and California (yes, very random grouping) South Carolina takes the cake. People think red lights and stop signs are suggestions down there. 🙄 I expected San Diego to be bad but it was actually much better than driving at home.

cjack300zx

The few times I have been to DC traffic is like this everyone is doing 80 and then you are at a dead stop and then 80 again and then a dead stop and then 80 again and then a dead stop while only traveling 2 miles.

Lilofan

The few times I have been to DC traffic is like this everyone is doing 80 and then you are at a dead stop and then 80 again and then a dead stop and then 80 again and then a dead stop while only traveling 2 miles.
That's Interstate 95 through Fredericksburg VA, 2 hours in midday traffic to go 15 miles.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Naturally since the announcement of DME going away there has been a lot of discussion around traffic and driving near WDW. Now I learned to drive in NYC so in my arrogance I thought that nothing drive wise could ruffle my feathers and then I went to...... Athens Greece. Taking a cab in Athens had me praying to just about every God up in the Acropolis. One cab driver told me that the red light was a "suggestion" after he blew threw a few of them and I said something.

so wheres the worst place you've had to drive while on vacation. Don't include your daily commute. ;)
I also learned to drive trial by death Lincoln Tunnel and midtown at rush hour. Worst drive was not a commute for work but was for work I had to go to the Hamptons on a Friday night in summer during a thunder/hail storm the entire way out:banghead::banghead::banghead: I get a good laugh when in the Orlando area and the news say watch out for traffic jam near... lol

Goofyernmost

I've driven in many places. I would have to say the most overall mileage accrued would be on the east coast corridor. I have driven in the LA/Anaheim area. I didn't find that difficult at all. I haven't been to Boston since the "Big Dig" was completed but I made many during the construction when my wife was attending UMass Boston. I don't know how it works now, but before when a 6 lane highway would suddenly narrow down to 3 lanes and less you could spend half your life avoiding idiots and people that panicked easily. To me Boston was the worse in the states, followed by the routes that make up the Capital Beltline, then Jacksonville.

Montreal, plus all the rest were nerve twisting until you learned how to drive like the locals and it all went smoother and less worrisome.

By far, the worst place I ever drove was in Downtown Saigon. (Ho Chi Minh City now) Everyone there owned little Honda 90's Motorcycles. Not only were they every direction you were to look, but they ignored any degree of traffic control. Couple that with the fact that it was very usual to see an entire family on one. Husband driving, Mother sidesaddle on the back of that seat, One kid standing in front of dad, Another on the handle bar and one more on the front fender. They would come at you at every angle you can imagine. If you were to lose focus for even a second you could easily wipe out 10 people and be in deep do-do not only with the local government but the military as well. Double Jeopardy was what that was called.

Now that I think about it, that could be why traffic around WDW never did seem like any degree of problem.

StarWarsGirl

I wasn't allowed to pick that because I live in Maryland. But yeah, sounds about right.

People treat highways here like it's the Daytona 500.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
Tomorrowland Speedway behind a constantly stalling out car operated by a small child whose parent isn’t helping with the accelerator.

Close second, Cairo. They have lane markers and lights but both were literally completely ignored. Six cars wide in a four lane and intersections were basically merging situations regardless what any lights indicated. The only time I’ve legitimately been concerned for my life in a cab.

Last edited:

macefamily

I've been to Anaheim and it was very congested. However, the line was always moving unlike the Schuylkill Expressway in Philly during rush hour when you're just sitting there for minutes. Then you'll move for 50 feet, and you're stopped again for 10 minutes. Very frustrating.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom