FOP - wheel chair, back metastasis

ada0801

Original Poster
Hi all,

My mother has stage 4 cancer with back metastasis. We are going to Disney this fall. She would love to see the FOP ride (experience the screen, sights, sounds, etc). I do not believe she can sit on the ride due to her back condition. Would disney allow her to sit in the room with the glasses on and stay in her chair? I thought I saw a video of a wheelchair rolling into place in a simulator but now I can’t find it. Would my mom have any option or is this a must skip for her?

cjkeating

Hi all,

My mother has stage 4 cancer with back metastasis. We are going to Disney this fall. She would love to see the FOP ride (experience the screen, sights, sounds, etc). I do not believe she can sit on the ride due to her back condition. Would disney allow her to sit in the room with the glasses on and stay in her chair? I thought I saw a video of a wheelchair rolling into place in a simulator but now I can’t find it. Would my mom have any option or is this a must skip for her?

You must transfer for this attraction. :(

Disorbust

So my 86 yo Mom, with many physical disabilities, just did this with no problems. You can bring a wheel chair right up to the back of the "bike" and slide on. The back restraint is really hardley noticeable. The ride is not really ruff, I would say it is as ruff as the safari in fact the safari is more jarring. BTW if she is doing the safari, keep her in the w/c, my Mom says it is much more tolerable then on the benches.

We rode it last year and had her sit it out and after realized there was no reason for her to do so. My suggestion would be to get FP for everyone and ride it first early in your FP window and then see what you think. She could then go with others in your party. Disney does give the whole spiel of "do not ride if you have this or that, motion sickness etc" and that did make us waffle a bit. My DD was actually a little upset with whole spiel because she thought it was unnecessary and over the top for a warning and made you worry for nothing.

I would not rule it out, you only live once!

PeoplemoverTTA

I wouldn't risk it. We rode this a few weeks ago for the first time. My husband is on blood thinners due to heart disease and is a slim guy, 44 years old. He can't ride anything that will "bump, jostle or crush" him according to his cardiologist.

We went to the ride vehicle out front, explained this to the CM and he emphatically stated that this was only slightly more movement than Soarin. He assured us that my husband would be just fine, and allowed him to sit in the seat.

When we loaded, the CM -- Missy -- walked by and literally slammed the back restraint into me. I immediately turned and started to say, "You can't hit my husband that hard" when I heard a SCREAM as I watched (as if in slow motion) her literally SLAM the back restraint into my husband. As I mentioned, he's very slim, and his spinal column doesn't have as much fat protecting it as I do (lol, new mom here). When he screamed in pain, the CM did nothing, just moved on. Afterward, my now miserable and in pain husband went up to the CM and said, "Hey, you can't slam people like that, you hurt me." She literally just turned and walked away - said nothing.

We went to guest relations, and they were so nice. They insisted on calling a medic (for their own protection). My husband ended up with a huge bruise and was sore the rest of the trip. We didn't want anything, just someone to speak to that CM about her unnecessary force so that no one else would be hurt (my brother in law had sat next to my husband during the right and afterward said, "Wow, it seemed like she had an axe to grind against him" - that's how hard it was). They ended up adding FPs to our tickets for our entire party for the rest of the trip, which was very nice and unnecessary.

But the reason I'm sharing this story is because while in theory, that shouldn't happen to ANYONE. Reality is that it did happen to us. And if my mom had stage 4 cancer and I was worried about her, I wouldn't take the risk.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Hi all,

Definitely not, the entire room where the seats are moves up and down so you have to be restrained.

ada0801

Original Poster
I wouldn't risk it. We rode this a few weeks ago for the first time. My husband is on blood thinners due to heart disease and is a slim guy, 44 years old. He can't ride anything that will "bump, jostle or crush" him according to his cardiologist.

We went to the ride vehicle out front, explained this to the CM and he emphatically stated that this was only slightly more movement than Soarin. He assured us that my husband would be just fine, and allowed him to sit in the seat.

When we loaded, the CM -- Missy -- walked by and literally slammed the back restraint into me. I immediately turned and started to say, "You can't hit my husband that hard" when I heard a SCREAM as I watched (as if in slow motion) her literally SLAM the back restraint into my husband. As I mentioned, he's very slim, and his spinal column doesn't have as much fat protecting it as I do (lol, new mom here). When he screamed in pain, the CM did nothing, just moved on. Afterward, my now miserable and in pain husband went up to the CM and said, "Hey, you can't slam people like that, you hurt me." She literally just turned and walked away - said nothing.

We went to guest relations, and they were so nice. They insisted on calling a medic (for their own protection). My husband ended up with a huge bruise and was sore the rest of the trip. We didn't want anything, just someone to speak to that CM about her unnecessary force so that no one else would be hurt (my brother in law had sat next to my husband during the right and afterward said, "Wow, it seemed like she had an axe to grind against him" - that's how hard it was). They ended up adding FPs to our tickets for our entire party for the rest of the trip, which was very nice and unnecessary.

But the reason I'm sharing this story is because while in theory, that shouldn't happen to ANYONE. Reality is that it did happen to us. And if my mom had stage 4 cancer and I was worried about her, I wouldn't take the risk.

Thank you for your story and so sorry that happened! Her cancer which is in her bones was inactive has become active again so.... there will be no risks at all. We are looking forward to an amazing trip filled with the most incredible memories Disney has to offer. Cheers to life. Live it as fully as you can!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom