Fop restraints painful for kids

Orangeanna

Original Poster
So we just had our first day back at Disney after the dreaded block out period, hooray! Disney we missed you! Of course we went for fop which we've ridden at least 7 or 8 times. My kids are 8 and 10. My youngest is about 49 inches tall and thin, my oldest 55 inches and about average. The cm shoved the restraint quite hard. Neither child could breathe. My son got off, my daughter( a gymnast) reported back pain and almost threw up. She did stay on. They've had some issues before with the breathing but nothing like this. Any way to avoid it? Was it a cm error? Anyone else had this issue with their kids? We love this ride and fear theyll never go again. Help!

Orangeanna

Original Poster
We were higher than we've ever been. Do they push harder the higher you are for safety? Could we have asked to release and redo the restraints. Would that have helped?

correcaminos

I had a CM try to do it too tight on me (my 11yo is bigger than me lol) and I just told him to loosen it. He tried to tell me why it had to be tight and since it wasn't my first ride I told him I knew but he was hurting my back. He loosened it. Now I just stick my butt further back and move up after they're done.

Gelatoni

Fop is a neat idea but the restraints have been a mess. Alot of people can't even ride the thing, myself included. Kinda afraid tron coaster will be similar.

Smiley/OCD

They're not a mess...they're just a different type of restraint than we're used to...they'res a seat demo. outside the attraction that shows the seat and its fit. On the ride, if it's too tight, by all means, tell a CM. If they can't make a guest comfortable, then perhaps, the ride isn't for that particular guest.

ninjaprincesst

They're not a mess...they're just a different type of restraint than we're used to...they'res a seat demo. outside the attraction that shows the seat and its fit. On the ride, if it's too tight, by all means, tell a CM. If they can't make a guest comfortable, then perhaps, the ride isn't for that particular guest.
Have the restrains changed? I have not been there for almost a year, but I don't remember the restraints being much of anything.

Hula Baloo

The first time I rode FOP, the restraint was too tight. It pushed me up against the front and I felt like I couldn't breath well. The second time I rode, I made sure to push back against the restraint as it was going into place so that I wouldn't be squished between the front and the restraint. That helped with the breathing, but I was constantly pushing back against the restraint to keep it in place. The other people in my party had the same issue.

Chef Mickey

I think it's over the top to call them painful. I've ridden this thing 20-30 times and at best they are slightly tight depending on your position.

Literally no idea how they could cause any issue breathing or pain, even on a child.

I could be wrong.

Kingoglow

This sounds exaggerated.
I have never seen anything experience these problems on the ride. I have read accounts of overly-heavy people complaining that they don't fit on the ride. But what can you do?

ninjaprincesst

This sounds exaggerated.
I have never seen anything experience these problems on the ride. I have read accounts of overly-heavy people complaining that they don't fit on the ride. But what can you do?
I remember barely noticing the restraints at all. All I remember is being told to scoot back some because I went too far forward because I am fat and was scared of not fitting.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The main purpose of the restraints is to keep you from voluntarily getting off the bike and doing something terribly stupid like having your hand chopped off if you try to get something out of your bag in the cubbies, or fall into the theater down two stories. If there were no restraints at all, there is nothing in the ride that would throw you off the bike.

The mechanics of the system and the CM want to see that there is a snug fit in that your back and calves are pressed into the restraints. But they don't have to be tight to do their job. I usually puff up my body and arch my back outward for the back restraint, and after the CM check, relax.

The calf restraints aren't usually a problem. When they engage, I move my feet back so that they press against the restraint for the CM check, then afterwards, move them back forward a bit.

If it's too tight, tell the CM it hurts so it's loosened and re-engaged. If it's too tight because of one's personal large size, there may not be any more give and it's grin and bear it or get off.

correcaminos

I think it's over the top to call them painful. I've ridden this thing 20-30 times and at best they are slightly tight depending on your position.

Literally no idea how they could cause any issue breathing or pain, even on a child.

I could be wrong.

You are ;)

I have issues with my spine which relates to muscular issues as well as just skeletal issues. If you push too hard on part of my back, it's painful. Also makes it harder to breathe.

Granted my 11yo is my size so I am a small adult, but as I posted I had issues with them. Different sizes have different issues with the ride.

This sounds exaggerated.
I assure you, my experience was not exaggerated. It hurt quite a lot being in that position.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I don't find anything wrong with the restraints. I'm 6 foot and skinny. My two pooh-size friends find them to be fine as well. I wouldn't want the restraints not to be snug around me, though. Have you seen where you're positioned when the ride starts? Would you rather be slightly uncomfortable for a few minutes or plummet down to a traumatic head injury? Just sayin'.

And like others have said, if it really is that bad, then maybe that ride isn't for you. Not all rides are meant to be for everyone. The design of the ride literally makes you feel like you're flying, which makes it exhilarating. If it is too much for you, then the more comfortable and relaxing solution is to go check out Soarin'.

Simulators are not for people with motion sickness. Coasters are not for people who are not adrenaline seekers. Drop zones are not for people afraid of heights. Stage shows are not for people who prefer rides. Films are not for people who think that stuff is boring. Kiddie rides are not meant for adults. Classic dark rides are not for people searching for thrills. Water rides are not for people who hate getting wet.

Flight of passage is not for people who are of a particular size + motion sickness.

You can't appeal to everyone.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
People are physically different, its that simple. Some have physical limitations, some are scaled differently than the population"average", so unless you want a homogenized experience across any "ride" you may see, there has to be a variation in its passenger retention methodology. Shoulder harness, lapbar, seat belt, back of the leg and small of the back, all of these things are for the guests' safety to limit their motion for the duration of the ride/experience so you dont fall out.

jaklgreen

OP, if your family rides again, I would be proactive when they restrain your children and have the cast member wait while you ask your children if the restraints are too tight on them. They can adjust if needed. Talk to your kids ahead of time about it and have them give themselves a bit more room by scooting their behinds back a bit. I am thinking that the sick feeling your daughter experienced was probably from the motion of the ride, not the restraints. My kids are older, but my niece and nephew went on with us last year when they were 8 and 10 and neither of them said anything about it. Good luck.

correcaminos

You are describing a pre-existing condition, personal to you; not an inherent issue with FoP or its cast members.

Still, it hurt. It hurt a lot more than it would have because of my issues, but I guarantee you it hurt even without my issues. I'm really kind of kid sized and I can see how it can cause pain to some. My back issues exasperate things, but I can also understand the pain it would cause if done to others. I also know that the ride will hit my chest differently than my husbands making it harder for me to breath quicker than him.

As a reference people talk about calf restraints. I don't ever feel those. Also I cannot feel the breathing of the banshee most of the time. So just realize different sizes will feel things differently. Just like on RnR if I don't hold my head a certain way my ears hurt by the end. Ask my husband and he cannot imagine how. Showed him pics and he got it - the restraints hit me differently than him.

Kingoglow

I have issues with my spine which relates to muscular issues as well as just skeletal issues. If you push too hard on part of my back, it's painful. Also makes it harder to breathe.

Well there's your problem...
Maybe this isn't for you then.
Stop trying to ride things that can you (in particular, you) so much pain. There is no reason for a thread about people that can't swim drowning when they get into a hotel pool.

If you have issues that will cause you pain, talk to your doctor. Maybe they can help more than a Disney fan site. Or maybe they will give you the same advice as we are; don't ride FOP.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Still, it hurt. It hurt a lot more than it would have because of my issues, but I guarantee you it hurt even without my issues. I'm really kind of kid sized and I can see how it can cause pain to some. My back issues exasperate things, but I can also understand the pain it would cause if done to others. I also know that the ride will hit my chest differently than my husbands making it harder for me to breath quicker than him.

As a reference people talk about calf restraints. I don't ever feel those. Also I cannot feel the breathing of the banshee most of the time. So just realize different sizes will feel things differently. Just like on RnR if I don't hold my head a certain way my ears hurt by the end. Ask my husband and he cannot imagine how. Showed him pics and he got it - the restraints hit me differently than him.

You have to press your knees//calves inward to feel it. I think most people have their knees splayed out too wide to really feel it the entire time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom