FOP 6+ hour wait times

AugieMorosco

Original Poster
6 hour wait time? Yeah OK. Unless the ride experienced mechanical issues or diminished capacity, if you believe that anybody actually waited six hours, I have a bridge to sell you. That would mean that with a 9:00 AM open and 8:00 PM close that somebody got in line at noon, and rode at 6:00 PM, or got in line at 2:00 PM and rode when the park was closing. I think that when the ride was being advertised at 4-5 hours, people would be deterred enough not to ride. If they were in the park that early, they wouldn't be wasting the rest of the day in line.

If Disney posted a six hour wait, they were probably just really telling people to stay out of the stand-by line. If people experienced a six hour wait, the ride just probably broke down a few times when they were line.

I don't think there's any doubt wait times are intentionally and purposely inflated. It makes sense for a number of reasons and there is no shortage of anecdotal evidence. My curiosity was really more to do with those wait times of 2.5+ hours and who chooses to wait that long. It seems most people here who have done so have done it in a unique situation. I suppose the people that set up camp in a 3 hour queue in the middle of the day are not the same people who participate, or even know about, a forum like this. Not surprising I suppose.

Trackmaster

I don't think there's any doubt wait times are intentionally and purposely inflated. It makes sense for a number of reasons and there is no shortage of anecdotal evidence. My curiosity was really more to do with those wait times of 2.5+ hours and who chooses to wait that long. It seems most people here who have done so have done it in a unique situation. I suppose the people that set up camp in a 3 hour queue in the middle of the day are not the same people who participate, or even know about, a forum like this. Not surprising I suppose.

The times that I've waited 2 hours or more for a ride:

• The posted wait time was significantly less. I didn't realize how wrong it was until I was halfway through.
  • It was a coaster that I didn't have the credit for, and I knew I wasn't going to be getting back soon.
  • Its a ride I really, really like and I just suck it up.
  • I got to the park really, really late, and to justify the visit, I hop in line for a popular ride as they have to take me if I get in.
  • A variation of #1 and 2, but much of the wait time is the ride breaking down again and again.
In 2018, I was pretty lucky with crowds outside of Disney. I went to 21 parks in total (four of them being Disney).

Darien Lake was absolutely mobbed, and we probably hit the busiest day of their operating season, as Post Malone was playing that night. We just rode the coasters to get the credits, and even left a few credits on the table. This was before I was going to Disney regularly, to me I considered hour waits long. But at the same time, these were hour waits with no theming, and really just standing outside looking at the back of someone's head for an hour.

At Cedar Point, it was pre-Memorial Day so the crowds weren't bad, but Raptor and Valravn would get up to an hour during peak times. The star attraction for us was Steel Vengeance (my #1 ride of all time now). It was only on single train ops, and was the star new attraction for the year, so we knew we were going to have to wait. We were there over 2.5 days. Dashed to it every day for rope drop, first day it broke down after the 3rd dispatch, but made it on one of the first circuits with no wait the other two ropedrops (but by the team our train came into the station from the brakes it was already at 45 minutes). Rode it five times in total, three other times were 1-2 hours. A bit of those waits were it breaking down too.

When I started going to Disney a lot, I had to change what I considered a long wait. I saw 7DMT posted at 90 minutes on one on my first 2018 Disney visits, and that turned into 3.5 hours. What I do for a credit....

I thought I'd make the Flight of Passage rope drop, but I didn't realize how early its rope drop was. Was there at 8:30 AM, and the line was still about two hours. Now I always go to Disney in the evening/night, and just jump in the FoP line at 7:59 PM, and never wait more than an hour.

Trackmaster

Thankfully, I haven't (YET) needed to excuse myself for a bathroom break. How have folks' experiences been in returning to the queue?

God bless them for waiting in line that long, then. They call us millennials entitled, but at least some of us are willing to wait. Not me, of course. I'll keep my entitlement and head to the After Hours.

Disney seems to be pretty organized and trains their guests for the most part, but their one vice seems to be allowing line cutters like that. They really need to crack down on that and communicate that your friends aren't your personal Fast Passes. When you leave the line, you really need to forfeit your position. Its just not fair for us to eyeball the line, and not see the full picture. I could also see an argument for putting bathrooms and concession stands in the line, and having checkpoints where you can take breaks -- you tab your position, and you won't gain position but you won't lose your position as you take a break, go to the bathroom, and get snacks and drinks.

Granted, the Fast Pass was originally supposed to be the solution -- it was supposed to be the virtual queuing system that got rid of lines altogether. But three rides is pretty pathetic, and most people need more laps than that in a day.

Trackmaster

My best advice for dealing with going to the bathroom in the amusement industry's current state:

Don't break the seal. Anybody who goes to bars picks up on this. Generally, you'll be perfectly fine if you just go about your business like normal, but the second that you go to the bathroom once, you'll never be able to stop going in a day.

Trackmaster

This is why it would have been nice if they #1 didn't skimp on NRJ and #2 didn't skimp out on actually building the third ride......FOP would have only gotten to 4 hours....

It's why SWGE should have had 3 rides.....I know, they don't have the money.....

Believe it or not, if Na'vi was actually awesome, and/or if there was a third ride, I'd imagine that FoP's line would have been even longer. It just would have made Pandora even sexier, and tourists from across the world would have that much of a reason to book a trip to WDW. Just give FoP 5-10 years. It'll get down to a normal wait eventually.

Trackmaster

I know what you meant but I have to say that I missed this training ;). It reminds me of the woe-begotten Delta Song. The only time I traveled with them, the crew treated us like cattle and then congratulated us for doing a "great job boarding!" Good riddance to them.

I've been around the block. Went to 21 different amusement/theme parks in 2018. I can tell its not just that the CM's at Disney are superior to the other chains, it seems like the guests are more no nonsense when they get on rides. Guests at other parks won't pay attention, won't bother to bucket their own restraints, and will argue with the crew in the station instead of getting on.

One of the ways that Disney trains guests is by assigning rows. At other parks guests feel entitled to pick their own rows, and that leads to a lot of empty seats, confusion, and a logjam for the front. Disney guests also seem to know what they can and can't bring on rides. At most parts, this is always an adventure and leads to a lot of arguments. Also, Disney guests knowing not to throw stuff to the side of the station or expect cubbies helps a lot too. You'd be surprised at how offended guests get at other parks when they're expected to buy a $1 locker because they assume they can take it on the ride or something.

danyoung56

Back when Indy first opened at DL, the queue was 2 1/2 hours long. It went out the entrance of Adventureland, through the hub, and into Frontierland where it did several switchbacks. I waited in that long line only because, as a visitor from Texas, it was going to be my only chance to experience the new attraction, unless I wanted to wait 6 months for my next visit.

Normally I don't wait much longer than 30 minutes, but that one time was well worth it.

kong1802

Believe it or not, if Na'vi was actually awesome, and/or if there was a third ride, I'd imagine that FoP's line would have been even longer. It just would have made Pandora even sexier, and tourists from across the world would have that much of a reason to book a trip to WDW. Just give FoP 5-10 years. It'll get down to a normal wait eventually.

Perhaps, but I'd love to have the chance to find out if that is accurate...If all rides in Pandora were "must do", I'd have to think it would spread the brunt out a tad...

I'm still waiting on the Mine Train to get to a normal wait...

HouCuseChickie

Back in the days before fast passes of any kind, we'd wait, often for ridiculous amounts of time (well, what I thought was crazy). I remember waiting for over 2 hours for the original Journey Into Imagination, over an hour for PotC, and around an hour and a half for BTMRR. I remember going right after Maelstrom opened and the wait was so long, my dad just refused...possibly because we also spent a long time in line for Living Seas.

Since the implementation of fast passes, our waiting tolerance has changed considerably. It also shifts based on when we travel. If I'm at WDW or DLR right at Christmas/New Year's, I'm willing to wait longer than I would for a trip in late July or mid September, since logic would say that waits will be longer during peak times. I mean, you don't go at a peak time and play by "slow" season rules.

Still, I always felt like we wasted so much time in lines in those early trips, so anything too much longer than an hour (and it has to be a top attraction for me to wait an hour) just isn't worth it. We were in Pandora around Christmas 2017 and the line hit the 5.5 hour mark and I just kept thinking how silly it was for people to spend the bulk of their day in one line. We decided before that trip that we'd be skipping it if we couldn't get a FP because we felt like we'd be throwing our $ away to spend the bulk of our day waiting in line for one ride.

Disstevefan1

Never mind the wait times to get on the attractions in Star Wars Land there will be multi hour wait times to GET INTO the land! The line to get into the land will snake through DHS for at least the first week or so.

Could DHS be closed to capacity some days that first week? I bet it will happen.

Tavernacle12

Never mind the wait times to get on the attractions in Star Wars Land there will be multi hour wait times to GET INTO the land! The line to get into the land will snake through DHS for at least the first week or so.

Could DHS be closed to capacity some days that first week? I bet it will happen.

I wouldn't be surprised if it hits capacity 10+ times in the first month. The only way it never hits capacity is if they preemptively cut off the line to get into SWGE before the park actually closes. I'm curious about what the extended queue is going to look like.

World_Showcase_Lover007

Not worth it....because it will be there next year, and for years afterward.

I still haven’t been on Frozen Ever After...tried to go a couple of months ago, as it had a 60 min wait time. Got in line and my 12 month old daughter started getting really fussy. So I said no problem, we do it next trip or the one after.

NelleBelle

Even though I despise waiting in lines, at least Disney makes theirs “themed” (universal does to an extent as well) and there is some visual stimuli. Other parks are just blah and makes the wait times even more miserable (6 flags, looking at you)!

Joesixtoe

I waited in line for the prequels, so I'll just deal with waiting in line for these rides.. however I will be alone if I do this..

Trackmaster

Curious how you felt about Mean Streak before. Haven’t made it to Cedar Point since the switch and I loved Mean Streak.

I didn't hate Mean Streak. Before Maverick came out, I think that the standards were a lot lower. My first trip to CP was in 2002, and the star attractions were Millennium Force, Wicked Twister, Raptor, and Mantis, so we didn't have Maverick, Gatekeeper, SteVen, Valravn, Top Thrill Dragster etc. And in general, the rides across the industry just weren't as strong as they are now.

So getting back to Mean Streak, I didn't find it incredibly rough, but the layout was pretty boring. But without the stellar line-up that CP has now, Mean Streak just looked a lot better in comparison. When I went back in 2007, and TTD was up, and Maverick was the star for me, I really started to see how Mean Streak just wasn't cutting it.

But Mean Streak was the perfect coaster to be RMC'd. That wooden structure is just so massive and it completely encloses you for half the ride. Its unfortunate that RMC wasn't around for SoB. That would have been the perfect ride to RMC. Imagine twisted inverted helices going around the massive structure.

The only coaster that possibly has a structure to match Mean Streak or SoB is El Toro, but that coaster is already perfect as is, so I would never allow anybody to touch it.

The Pho

I didn't hate Mean Streak. Before Maverick came out, I think that the standards were a lot lower. My first trip to CP was in 2002, and the star attractions were Millennium Force, Wicked Twister, Raptor, and Mantis, so we didn't have Maverick, Gatekeeper, SteVen, Valravn, Top Thrill Dragster etc. And in general, the rides across the industry just weren't as strong as they are now.

So getting back to Mean Streak, I didn't find it incredibly rough, but the layout was pretty boring. But without the stellar line-up that CP has now, Mean Streak just looked a lot better in comparison. When I went back in 2007, and TTD was up, and Maverick was the star for me, I really started to see how Mean Streak just wasn't cutting it.

But Mean Streak was the perfect coaster to be RMC'd. That wooden structure is just so massive and it completely encloses you for half the ride. Its unfortunate that RMC wasn't around for SoB. That would have been the perfect ride to RMC. Imagine twisted inverted helices going around the massive structure.

The only coaster that possibly has a structure to match Mean Streak or SoB is El Toro, but that coaster is already perfect as is, so I would never allow anybody to touch it.
El Toro is something else, basically a perfect ride. Unfortunately I missed out on Son of Beast, still need to make it out to King’s Island.
I’ve only been to Cedar Point in 2016, so at the end of Mean Streak’s run. I think I liked it so much partially because it was a more unique ride than Blue Streak up front, which I liked but is a lot like a bunch of other Woodens I’ve ride. I think Mean Streak was the biggest wooden I had ever ridden at that point, probably Gwazi being the next closest, and that one is an excellent RMC candidate I think. I think I’m just predisposed to like wooden coasters more than most, there’s just something about them. Mean Streak wasn’t my favorite ride at Cedar Point, that goes to Maverick, but it was certainly a stand out attraction to me.

Trackmaster

El Toro is something else, basically a perfect ride. Unfortunately I missed out on Son of Beast, still need to make it out to King’s Island.
I’ve only been to Cedar Point in 2016, so at the end of Mean Streak’s run. I think I liked it so much partially because it was a more unique ride than Blue Streak up front, which I liked but is a lot like a bunch of other Woodens I’ve ride. I think Mean Streak was the biggest wooden I had ever ridden at that point, probably Gwazi being the next closest, and that one is an excellent RMC candidate I think. I think I’m just predisposed to like wooden coasters more than most, there’s just something about them. Mean Streak wasn’t my favorite ride at Cedar Point, that goes to Maverick, but it was certainly a stand out attraction to me.

Well next time you go to Busch Gardens Tampa take a look at the structure of Gwazi. You'll notice that half of the wooden track is gone already, and you'll see guys with RMC shirts working on it. SeaWorld parks took out a trademark for "Twisted Tigers" not too long ago. Its been confirmed for a while that they're RMCing Gwazi. They're expected to make a press release for it at a major event in a few weeks. Rumor is 212' tall and a 91 degrees drop.

I talked to an contractor working on the project, and he said that unfortunately the ride is in much worse shape than expected, so they're going to be removing much more than they wanted to. But RMC has a history of adding in its own steel supports that disguises itself as the old wooden track. Storm Chaser was almost completely razed, with pretty much only the footers and the station being kept from Twisted Sisters.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom