Football Games. Where to watch?

21stamps

Original Poster
OSU vs Michigan is the day my cruise sets out to sea.

Is there a place on the ship that will be showing it? Also, if it's a bar, will children be allowed?

ChuckElias

Diversions (Wonder), 687 (Dream), O'Gills (Fantasy/Magic) are your best bets for sports-related TV. I don't recall ever seeing sports on Funnel Vision, but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

EOD K9

Diversions (Wonder), 687 (Dream), O'Gills (Fantasy/Magic) are your best bets for sports-related TV. I don't recall ever seeing sports on Funnel Vision, but that doesn't mean it can't happen.
20151228_203310.jpg

December 28th, 2015

21stamps

Original Poster
Especially considering I was having Belgian Chocolate ice cream and a raspberry marzipan gelato while watching the game. I'm not a fan of either team, but the experience was awesome.
I'm a Bengals fan, so that would have been amazing for me.

Those deserts sound delicious! Was it a specific restaurant?

EOD K9

I'm a Bengals fan, so that would have been amazing for me.

Those deserts sound delicious! Was it a specific restaurant?
Vanellope's on the Dream. My wife and I ordered each flavor and shared it. They weren't three flavors in one.

21stamps

Original Poster
Vanellope's on the Dream. My wife and I ordered each flavor and shared it. They weren't three flavors in one.
I don't know if the fantasy has that restaurant. I'm not a huge chocolate fan, but the raspberry marzipan gelato will be a must if available.

ChuckElias

Sooooo. . . what's your point? :oops::confused::p LOL

That is good to know. I've been on a lot of DCL and that's the first time I've seen that. Although, after thinking about it this morning since seeing your picture, I do think that I remember somebody saying that the Women's World Cup Final was shown on Funnel Vision. But I watched it in Diversions, so I'm not sure if I'm recalling that correctly.

21stamps

Original Poster

That is good to know. I've been on a lot of DCL and that's the first time I've seen that. Although, after thinking about it this morning since seeing your picture, I do think that I remember somebody saying that the Women's World Cup Final was shown on Funnel Vision. But I watched it in Diversions, so I'm not sure if I'm recalling that correctly.
Completely off subject- I chose the "USB and daily service fees" for our "pick 2" on our NCL cruise. I'm kind of thinking that we may have been better off with the Specialty Dining instead of the USB. Especially because from what I've been reading it looks like drinks for kiddo would only be available during meal times, and I wouldn't be able to bring on back to the room when we order room service.

Can I get your opinion on this?

ChuckElias

Completely off subject- I chose the "USB and daily service fees" for our "pick 2" on our NCL cruise. I'm kind of thinking that we may have been better off with the Specialty Dining instead of the USB.
Sorry to be dense, but is USB the same as the Ultimate Beverage Package? You mention drinks for "kiddo" later, so that what I'm guessing, but I'm not familiar with the USB abbreviation.

Especially because from what I've been reading it looks like drinks for kiddo would only be available during meal times, and I wouldn't be able to bring on back to the room when we order room service.

My understanding (and I've called to ask for a client) is that if a child is one of the first two guests in the room reservation and the Beverage Package is selected, then the kid automatically gets the Soda Package. Soda is available at any bar or lounge any time it's open, so it wouldn't just be at meals. If the kid is not one of the first two guests in the reservation, then I would just pay for the soda package.

This is actually what I did for myself on my most recent NCL cruise. I'm not a big drinker, so I made my wife the primary guest on the reservation and her mom as the second guest in the room. So they both got the free drink package, and I just bought the soda package for myself.

As for the Drinks vs. Dining, I think it will depend on how many people in your party are going to take full advantage of the drink package. If you have two people who love the free drinks, then you should go with the drink package. Because even if you pay for specialty dining every night, it'll probably be $30-$40 per person per night. But if you're paying for all your drinks, and somebody has 4 drinks a day (not hard to do on a cruise), you're probably going to pay $40+ per day. So it really depends on what makes more sense for you and your party.

I hope that's helpful; but I've probably completely misunderstood what you were asking in the first place.

21stamps

Original Poster
Sorry to be dense, but is USB the same as the Ultimate Beverage Package? You mention drinks for "kiddo" later, so that what I'm guessing, but I'm not familiar with the USB abbreviation.

My understanding (and I've called to ask for a client) is that if a child is one of the first two guests in the room reservation and the Beverage Package is selected, then the kid automatically gets the Soda Package. Soda is available at any bar or lounge any time it's open, so it wouldn't just be at meals. If the kid is not one of the first two guests in the reservation, then I would just pay for the soda package.

This is actually what I did for myself on my most recent NCL cruise. I'm not a big drinker, so I made my wife the primary guest on the reservation and her mom as the second guest in the room. So they both got the free drink package, and I just bought the soda package for myself.

As for the Drinks vs. Dining, I think it will depend on how many people in your party are going to take full advantage of the drink package. If you have two people who love the free drinks, then you should go with the drink package. Because even if you pay for specialty dining every night, it'll probably be $30-$40 per person per night. But if you're paying for all your drinks, and somebody has 4 drinks a day (not hard to do on a cruise), you're probably going to pay $40+ per day. So it really depends on what makes more sense for you and your party.

I hope that's helpful; but I've probably completely misunderstood what you were asking in the first place.
Thank you! No, you didn't misunderstood, I was talking about the UBP not an electronics port..lol. Have no idea how that happened.

Travel party is myself and a 6 year old. So I would get the alcohol, him the soda package..which I'm hoping include a few choices beyond soda. I think our total gratuities on those were @ $115.

I know we will do at least 2 speciality restaurants for sure- both of these are a flat charge. I'm debating on the steakhouse, which is a la carte, and I'm not sure of prices for that one.

Our itinerary has some evenings in port, so I'm not really sure how much time we will have for dinner on the ship.

Main question- so there are places where we can get a drink and bring it back to our room, as in get a drink at a bar and leave? I'm planning on a few room service meals. Daily breakfast, and a few late dinners.

Last edited:

ChuckElias

Travel party is myself and a 6 year old. So I would get the alcohol, him the soda package..which I'm hoping include a few choices beyond soda. I think our total gratuities on those were @ $115.

I know we will do at least 2 speciality restaurants for sure- both of these are a flat charge. I'm debating on the steakhouse, which is a la carte, and I'm not sure of prices for that one.
Ok, with that information, here's my thought. If you're going to drink 2 or 3 drinks per day and your son will do roughly the same, and you're only going to go to 2 or 3 of the specialty restaurants, I think the UBP is the better option. You'll be paying $25-$30 per day in drinks and your son will be paying $10 per day. So call it $40/day or $280 for a 7-night cruise. If you have 3 specialty dinners at $35-$40 per person, that's $210-$240 for the 3 meals. (Yes, there will be a quiz at the end of the post. . .)

Main question- so there are places where we can get a drink and bring it back to our room, as in get a drink at a bar and leave? I'm planning on a few room service meals. Daily breakfast, and a few late dinners.
Absolutely. You can buy a drink or a soda at any bar or lounge that's open and take it with you to your room, to the pool, to the theater, etc.

EOD K9

The point was that I actually remembered. And as we say, "Pics or it didn't happen".

21stamps

Original Poster
Ok, with that information, here's my thought. If you're going to drink 2 or 3 drinks per day and your son will do roughly the same, and you're only going to go to 2 or 3 of the specialty restaurants, I think the UBP is the better option. You'll be paying $25-$30 per day in drinks and your son will be paying $10 per day. So call it $40/day or $280 for a 7-night cruise. If you have 3 specialty dinners at $35-$40 per person, that's $210-$240 for the 3 meals. (Yes, there will be a quiz at the end of the post. . .)

Absolutely. You can buy a drink or a soda at any bar or lounge that's open and take it with you to your room, to the pool, to the theater, etc.
Thank you so much for this info! I'll keep my booking the way it is.

21stamps

Original Poster
Had to bump this thread, we will be cruising with Norwegian on the week of Thanksgiving 11/19 - 11/26. I just found out on CC that NCL does not show college football at all, and it's a tossup if they will show any football on Thanksgiving itself.
I'm so upset by it. Thanksgiving does not feel like Thanksgiving without football. And that Saturday is pretty much the biggest games of the college year. Ugh.

Gotta give DCL the win here.

disneyclipper

We used to cruise in the fall until the kids reached high school. And me and the boys loved to watch football on the funnel vision while eating ice cream. They would usually play Sunday & Monday night games on the funnel vision and kids are allowed in the bars to watch sports during the day

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom