Foodie Trip Itenerary so far with DDP. Any Suggestions?

MrsPooh

My wife and I are taking our first trip together to Disney World in June. We are coming from the West Coast to visit family in Alabama and then we are driving to Disney from there. Currently, we are booked for 4 nights at Port Orleans French Quarter with the Deluxe Dining Plan. We are both big foodies and our plan is to do several of the 2 credit signature dining options and have a fun, relaxing week.

So far we have the following itinerary.
Monday
Breakfast 10 AM- Kona
Dinner 9:15- Boathouse

Tuesday
Breakfast 8:55- Boma
Dinner 9:50- Ohana

Wednesday
Breakfast or lunch - Any suggestions?
Dinner 9:15- California Grill

Thursday
Breakfast or lunch- Any suggestions
Dinner 6:50 Yachtman's Steakhouse

If anyone has any suggestions let me know. The plan is to drive in on Sunday night and check in Monday before breakfast and start the first day with Hollywood Studios since I heard it can be explored without using a full day. I figured this would give us time to rest and get ready to enjoy the rest of the parks the rest of the week.

As you all can see, we have about 3 sit down credits left.. I was thinking of doing a breakfast before we left, and maybe a lunch somewhere on Wednesday and Thursday (maybe if we did Epcot that day, we could add a lunch there and another breakfast on Thursday).

Also, I am open to any suggestions about any signature restaurants that maybe we should switch out with the ones we currently have booked. I was thinking about dropping one for Jiko or Morimoto.
Tiffins is exceptional. Well worth two credits.

drwadadli

V&A is no longer accepted on the dining plan, though, so for someone looking for recommendations on the Deluxe Dining Plan, that's like waving a teddy bear just out of the baby's reach. :)

I'd recommend California Grill over Ohana in a heartbeat.

The food at the Hoop-De-Doo isn't going to knock anyone's socks off but it's still a fun show, a fun night out, worth doing if you're not planning to use your four nights at WDW going park commando and it doesn't seem like you are.

The Wave has great food. The restaurant itself doesn't exactly scream "you're at Disney!" but the food is IMHO way above par. Ditto Turf Club at Saratoga Springs, though The Wave is better.

Artist Point @ Wilderness Lodge

Raglan Road at Disney Springs

Since you didn't mention kids I'm not assuming a character meal is a must-do, but I think one of the best ones is 1900 Park Fare at Grand Floridian. Try to get one of the last breakfast reservations, treat it like a brunch.

And for a lunch or dinner, maybe consider a World Showcase restaurant, a type of cuisine you both always wanted to try but never did. Marrakesh was my first experience with Moroccan food, I enjoyed it immensely. Biergarten, didn't enjoy the food as much, but it's a fun place to dine with German music and dancers.
I completely agree with everything you wrote except one.....we are not big fans of California Grill. 'Ohana is nice but being on the Deluxe Dining Plan, we would rather do Monsieur Paul over California Grill or 'Ohana.

slappy magoo

I completely agree with everything you wrote except one.....we are not big fans of California Grill. 'Ohana is nice but being on the Deluxe Dining Plan, we would rather do Monsieur Paul over California Grill or 'Ohana.

And this is why there will never be world peace.

Seriously though, we've never ever had anything less than an awesome meal at Cali Grill.

drwadadli

Seriously though, we've never ever had anything less than an awesome meal at Cali Grill.
I don't have a problem with the meal but with the atmosphere. Everyone talks about how romantic the restaurant is and that is what I disagree. It is noisy and loud, and the restaurant wasn't ever that loud even when it was the Top of the World in the '80's. We think the food is excellent at California Grill but if we were looking for a romantic dinner, we would prefer some place that is quieter like Artist Point.

OneofThree

I don't have a problem with the meal but with the atmosphere. Everyone talks about how romantic the restaurant is and that is what I disagree. It is noisy and loud, and the restaurant wasn't ever that loud even when it was the Top of the World in the '80's. We think the food is excellent at California Grill but if we were looking for a romantic dinner, we would prefer some place that is quieter like Artist Point.

Well said! If I'm looking for a dinner reservation for a romantic evening, I'm not looking toward CG -that's just not where the restaurant shines. Nothing wrong with that at all. I also agree that Artist Point is very much that sort of place.

slappy magoo

Well as much as I still love Cali Grill I can't argue that it's more romantic than Artist Point, that's for sure.

PatsGirl12

Maybe this is a bit late, IMO, and for the foodie at heart who has an adventurous palette (or not, because there is something for everyone, and the quality of food is exceptional), Boma is easily the best buffet on property. I also am a fan of Cape May, you can’t go wrong with all you care to eat crab legs. Ohana was and still is one of my favorites though.

Last edited:

benice

Original Poster
Maybe this is a bit late, IMO, and for the foodie at heart who has an adventurous palette (or not, because there is something for everyone, and the quality of food is exceptional), Boma is easily the best buffet on property. I also am a fan of Cape May, you can’t go wrong with all you care to eat crab legs. Ohana was and still is one of my favorites though.

Haven't heard much about Cape May. I may have to check into that one. Artist Point seems interesting too.. maybe worth switching with California Grill. Again, thanks everyone for your responses.
Sorry for the late reply, been very busy recently.

Hockey89

I have... The chicken my wife got was so average it wasn't even funny... I cook a better one... Also the atmosphere is the worst of all sig places.. Loud... Last two times kids were running everywhere up to the glass near my table until I told them to sit down... Their hippie parents were just reading their phones.... I have not been back...

Also Pro tip to the workers: They put my wife and I at a table which was just "ok"... We ordered an expensive bottle of wine and they actually moved us to a window seat after we ordered it.... "Do you mind if you move to this window seat... Think you will enjoy it more....

Last edited:

benice

Original Poster
I know this was a long time ago... but we are getting close to our trip.. 1 month away!! So I wanted to give a final update on where we are at with planning. I've spent way too much time browsing this forum for ideas.

Monday (no park day). Maybe look around a few resorts and relax

Breakfast- Kona Cafe
Lunch-???
Dinner- The Boathouse

Tuesday: Magic Kingdom
Breakfast- Boma
Lunch-??? somewhere in the magic kingdom maybe?
Dinner- Ohana

Wednesday: Epcot (the idea here is that we can walk around the world showcase and find breakfast and lunch)
Dinner- California Grill

Thursday: Animal Kingdom
Breakfast- ?? Thinking of doing Trails End
Lunch- Yak and Yeti
Dinner- Jiko

drwadadli

I know this was a long time ago... but we are getting close to our trip.. 1 month away!! So I wanted to give a final update on where we are at with planning. I've spent way too much time browsing this forum for ideas.

Monday (no park day). Maybe look around a few resorts and relax

Breakfast- Kona Cafe
Lunch-???
Dinner- The Boathouse

Tuesday: Magic Kingdom
Breakfast- Boma
Lunch-??? somewhere in the magic kingdom maybe?
Dinner- Ohana

Wednesday: Epcot (the idea here is that we can walk around the world showcase and find breakfast and lunch)
Dinner- California Grill

Thursday: Animal Kingdom
Breakfast- ?? Thinking of doing Trails End
Lunch- Yak and Yeti
Dinner- Jiko
Sounds like a great dining plan

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom