Food & Wine Festival - Drunkytown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Incredible Schmulk

I am on the cusp of booking an anniversary trip to Disney for Drunkytown shenanigans for the last full week of October. I am completely on board for linking arm-in-arm with a horde of other like-minded alcohol swilling beasts and marching through World Showcase as a boozy platoon of doom. If this happens, I want to know. I will bring awesome buttons.

I am on the cusp of booking an anniversary trip to Disney for Drunkytown shenanigans for the last full week of October. I am completely on board for linking arm-in-arm with a horde of other like-minded alcohol swilling beasts and marching through World Showcase as a boozy platoon of doom. If this happens, I want to know. I will bring awesome buttons.

Cool!
Let's throw a date out there and see if it sticks. 10\27\14....this is a Monday, which will be way less crowded, but we can always switch it to Friday, the 24th if the weekend is better for everyone.

Hmac

Last night was the most boisterous I've ever seen it. There was a smelll of vomit in several places around World Showcase and quite a lot of shouting going on. Whilst this happens around drinking I'd never seen it to this extent at the F & W before. It doesn't really bother me but seemed odd in Disney.
We were there same evening as you....will back you on the pervasive smell and add 2 individuals passed out on benches near innoventions, and someone pontificating after dinner *directly behind us and our kids* in great drunken detail about exactly what he was going to do with his wife back in their room. We like to have a drink or two as well, but will avoid the festival past 5pm in the future...if we go at all.

And, I thought I was the only one who used "debauchery" to describe the antics at F&W. This is a great mini-trip report and I just can't believe the locals are not able to find somewhere else to get smashed. They need to show more respect towards us vacationers who make up about 3/4 of their economy.

http://www.monorailmedia.com/week-three-epcot-food-wine-festival/

Saturday, October 12 |

Week Three kicks off with the usual weekend crowds at Food + Wine. There is a drunk social gradient going on– things start with large groups, families and cute matching couples all jubilantly gathering in inconvenient clusters from Spaceship Earth to World Showcase. Slowly the few amateurs in those groups peak their boisterous bobble heads up from the crowd, yelling and looking like the life of the party. Two hours later, they are in the bushes behind the UK Pavilion taking a siesta.

“Yes. That man is sleeping darling. Come over here” (pulling child away). Everyone else seems okay, imbibing but still in control, for the next few hours at least. Then the parade starts — the ladies toppling in heels with beers, cocktails, wine and lumbering man-childs in frat mode. Criers, fighters and public displays of amorous affection have arrived. At last, the dramatic shift from festively snookered (my term– trademark) to reworded German drinking songs, long awkward hugs between strangers and full on bar debauchery ensues. It looks like some folks finally bought all the kooky hats you see for sale in each pavilion. You know, the regular vacation crowd just try them on, take a picture, post it on Facebook, slap a hashtag #Epcot #Mexico on it and put it back. Nope– not this crowd. Sombrero and Viking helmets abound! They bought the dream!

Exit Scene: Our crew heads to International Gateway, leaving for Hollywood Studios via the charming European style river boat named, “Friendship” boats. Touring Plans predicted a lower crowd level at Hollywood Studios and was correct. This proved to be the best option for our multi-generational group, who quickly tired of the mob scene in Epcot. We stayed there a few hours and escaped the madness. At 6:30pm we walked back to Epcot along the path from Hollywood Studios to Boardwalk and avoided the queue for the return ferry back to the Epcot Resort area.

Upon returning to Epcot, nearing 7pm, the wheels are starting to come off and you smile a bit because the revelers are still a friendly bunch and cooing at my child’s crazy cute little bee costume. A sweet, but definite sign to head out before the group of early twenty something’s in matching “Epcot Drinking Team 2013″ tees spill margarita on my kid. Sometimes there is a changing of the guard where the day drinkers depart and the nighttime crowds take over, fresh and still with it– but not today. My better half, stayed until 10:30pm and reported debauchery and further antics in those few hours after I left with my daughter. Fine for adults, not so much for little eyes and ears.

Last edited:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
And, I thought I was the only one who used "debauchery" to describe the antics at F&W. This is a great mini-trip report and I just can't believe the local yokels are not able to find somewhere else to get smashed. They need to show more respect towards us vacationers who make up about 3/4 of their economy.

Saturday, October 12 |

Week Three kicks off with the usual weekend crowds at Food + Wine. There is a drunk social gradient going on– things start with large groups, families and cute matching couples all jubilantly gathering in inconvenient clusters from Spaceship Earth to World Showcase. Slowly the few amateurs in those groups peak their boisterous bobble heads up from the crowd, yelling and looking like the life of the party. Two hours later, they are in the bushes behind the UK Pavilion taking a siesta.

“Yes. That man is sleeping darling. Come over here” (pulling child away). Everyone else seems okay, imbibing but still in control, for the next few hours at least. Then the parade starts — the ladies toppling in heels with beers, cocktails, wine and lumbering man-childs in frat mode. Criers, fighters and public displays of amorous affection have arrived. At last, the dramatic shift from festively snookered (my term– trademark) to reworded German drinking songs, long awkward hugs between strangers and full on bar debauchery ensues. It looks like some folks finally bought all the kooky hats you see for sale in each pavilion. You know, the regular vacation crowd just try them on, take a picture, post it on Facebook, slap a hashtag #Epcot #Mexico on it and put it back. Nope– not this crowd. Sombrero and Viking helmets abound! They bought the dream!

Exit Scene: Our crew heads to International Gateway, leaving for Hollywood Studios via the charming European style river boat named, “Friendship” boats. Touring Plans predicted a lower crowd level at Hollywood Studios and was correct. This proved to be the best option for our multi-generational group, who quickly tired of the mob scene in Epcot. We stayed there a few hours and escaped the madness. At 6:30pm we walked back to Epcot along the path from Hollywood Studios to Boardwalk and avoided the queue for the return ferry back to the Epcot Resort area.

Upon returning to Epcot, nearing 7pm, the wheels are starting to come off and you smile a bit because the revelers are still a friendly bunch and cooing at my child’s crazy cute little bee costume. A sweet, but definite sign to head out before the group of early twenty something’s in matching “Epcot Drinking Team 2013″ tees spill margarita on my kid. Sometimes there is a changing of the guard where the day drinkers depart and the nighttime crowds take over, fresh and still with it– but not today. My better half, stayed until 10:30pm and reported debauchery and further antics in those few hours after I left with my daughter. Fine for adults, not so much for little eyes and ears.
You really need to lay off the name calling. It is against the rules and also very rude.

BuddyThomas

And, I thought I was the only one who used "debauchery" to describe the antics at F&W. This is a great mini-trip report and I just can't believe the local yokels are not able to find somewhere else to get smashed. They need to show more respect towards us vacationers who make up about 3/4 of their economy.

Saturday, October 12 |

Again, you are blaming locals for your overhyped "problem". Unless you are psychic or have personally interviewed every guest in EPCOT, you cannot know this. And in any case, your precious vacation dollar is no better than the dollar spent by the hard working residents of Kissimmee and Orlando.

Uncle Remus

I am so in on this. Number three on my bucket list is to be part of an angry drunken mob. Do you think we can get torches and pitch forks by security?

The only angry mob it appears are the ones that are opposed to drinking and sit on their high horse while the sip their tea. I am convinced that the reason they don't drink is because they are afraid they would get too tipsy and fall off said high horse. While a good bump on the head may be exactly what they need they arent willing to take the chance. It's probably a good thing. If they fell off of their high horses they might land on someone and hurt them. Maybe even someones kid!

He's just trying to get a rise out of people who will take the bait. Ignore him and report him. That's the best way to go about it. Feel sorry for him while you're at it as well. I do.

So, I am the bad guy by trying to point out how F&W has descended to the gutter due to the locals changing it from a civilized event to their little own drunk fest of mindless debauchery? Whose side do you think Walt would be on?

Stitch_Fan_NJ

Stop with this what would Walt think it's getting a little annoying. These are far different times and a different world not that I'm supporting public drunks but some people on here need to stop going out and looking for trouble or negatives in EVERYTHING!

Cesar R M

Then how can we expect you to stay awake long enough for us to get our drunk on? :D
I'm a IT Engineer for a WorldWide Tours/Concierge Company.. all nighters are "for me it was just a thuesday" type days. (see M Byson's reference in the movie STREET FIGHTER)
so, you'all will be safe.

Stop with this what would Walt think it's getting a little annoying. These are far different times and a different world not that I'm supporting public drunks but some people on here need to stop going out and looking for trouble or negatives in EVERYTHING!
Where some see an amazing desert.. other people see annoying dust. its human nature.

Stop with this what would Walt think it's getting a little annoying.
Oh sure, defending Walt's visions and ideals is annoying but the obnoxious drunks who topple over your child, display inappropriate amorous affection and urinate and vomit in public is just peachy. Disney needs to keep the trash out of F&W.

Uncle Remus

"The rock concert was too loud! I literally bled from my ears! Rock concerts shouldn't exceed MY comfortable listening pleasure!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom