Food & Wine - Disney does not want our money?

ThatMouse

Original Poster
When I think food and wine festival, I think more food and wine than you can possibly consume. Constantly being offered food and having to turn away vendors and servers. It's exactly the opposite at EPCOT. It's stand in line for 15 or 20 mins, get a small portion of something you may or may not like, and stand in line again. Some lines must be much longer. I guess people like paying a lot of money to stand in lines. I'm lucky if I can even buy two or three beers before the night is over. Does Disney just not want our money? I guess it's a good thing, I've probably saved $1000 in the last 5 years that I've gone by not being able to buy anything.

Tigger1988

It's a food sampling. Why would they serve large portions thus filling you up and preventing you from going to another booth(s)?

Also, if you end up NOT liking it wouldn't you be glad it was only a small tasting portion?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
When I think food and wine festival, I think more food and wine than you can possibly consume. Constantly being offered food and having to turn away vendors and servers. It's exactly the opposite at EPCOT. It's stand in line for 15 or 20 mins, get a small portion of something you may or may not like, and stand in line again. Some lines must be much longer. I guess people like paying a lot of money to stand in lines. I'm lucky if I can even buy two or three beers before the night is over. Does Disney just not want our money? I guess it's a good thing, I've probably saved $1000 in the last 5 years that I've gone by not being able to buy anything.

Umm

Bravo 229

What? Disney Doesn't want my money? So they're just selling gift cards for the fun of it? We went last night and they were trying to sell us the cards so we could get through the lines faster. The lines were very long (30 mins in Italy) but we were still able to go through all of the booths and get what we wanted. If I were being constantly offered food, I wouldn't make it past Norway. IMO its fine the way it is, even if I have to wait a while to get something. After all, it is Disney, where you have to stand...in lines!

muse1983

I'm more concerned that you wanted more than 3 beers...or maybe Im just so disgusted by the drunk idiots at F&W that I'm in such awe that someone would come to WDW and get drunk...

Timekeeper

$4.25 for a seared sea scallop (at the New Zealand booth) the size of a chicken nugget has confirmed for me that Disney does want our money. :lookaroun

muse1983

$4.25 for a seared sea scallop (at the New Zealand booth) the size of a chicken nugget has confirmed for me that Disney does want our money. :lookaroun

Haha yeah I found the F&W festival to be nothing special....I prefer a less crowded World Showcase

maxairmike

Even if Disney doesn't want my money, they still get it! :lol:

As long as they keep the chicken sticks at the China booth, that's some easy money for them from me. :D

mickey2008.1

I'm more concerned that you wanted more than 3 beers...or maybe Im just so disgusted by the drunk idiots at F&W that I'm in such awe that someone would come to WDW and get drunk...

It's called food and Wine festival, sampling beers around the world does not equal drunken idiot. I and 13 others go to drink for the day, for the experience of food, wine, and beer, excuse us! We do not get drunk and ruin others trips. All in the culinary field as well! As well as chef's and someliers.

muse1983

It's called food and Wine festival, sampling beers around the world does not equal drunken idiot. I and 13 others go to drink for the day, for the experience of food, wine, and beer, excuse us! We do not get drunk and ruin others trips. All in the culinary field as well! As well as chef's and someliers.

Didn't mean for anyone to take that the wrong way, I was referring to the irresponsible people who are passed out in the bathrooms trying to vomit sonthey can go drink some more. I experienced this twice when we were there last week and just hated to see something like that in WDW.

janoimagine

It's called food and Wine festival, sampling beers around the world does not equal drunken idiot.

Exactly ... if you don't like alcohol, or to be in the presence of alcohol, then it is simple, don't go during F&W. Epcot is not the Magic Kingdom, it is more of an adult park, therefore you will see things like people consuming adult beverages ... granted there are some that take this too far, and for the most part, Disney Security does a great job at removing them, some slip through the cracks. However, they do make for a more colorfull trip around the world. :lol:

To me what is more offensive than someone vomiting in a restroom, which for the most part is away from the public eye, is a parent letting a child relieve themselves in a bush, in full view of the public. :shrug:

bgraham34

Didn't mean for anyone to take that the wrong way, I was referring to the irresponsible people who are passed out in the bathrooms trying to vomit sonthey can go drink some more. I experienced this twice when we were there last week and just hated to see something like that in WDW.

I think then Disney likes those type of people. They will eat and drink more so they win in the end. :ROFLOL:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I dunno.... I managed to drop a considerable amount of money there. :shrug:

As was I and the rest of the people standing scores deep in lines around the WS. Not to mention the seminars we attended, or the very busy Party for the Senses weekend before last......

Sloan

Try some special events

If you buy admission to some of the 'hard-ticket' events that must be reserved months in advance (this year they went on sale @ 7:00 a.m. on August 16) you will find it very easy to give Disney your money. I was able to get what I wanted back then, but when I tried to do an add-on not long after, it was a no-go - all sold out (@ about $200 a ticket!). You will also find that you can spend more efficiently during the week when its not as crowded with locals - I've had several trips around World Showcase during the week with prior Festivals where almost all of the booths were walk-up - no line at all - and I've been able to spend pretty quickly at those times too.

In fairness, you are correct that things do get quite backed up on Festival weekends now due to its popularity - and that's why I planned this year's Festival visit to be during the week! (starting a week from today in fact!!)

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
In fairness, you are correct that things do get quite backed up on Festival weekends now due to its popularity - and that's why I planned this year's Festival visit to be during the week! (starting a week from today in fact!!)

Same here--we arrive on Monday (same day as you!) and depart on Friday.

Hopefully the "weekday" strategy helps--I'm kind of dreading this year's F&W fest :eek: after reading about how crowded it is! And the prices are becoming a real turn-off. :cry:

I wear a WDWMagic button on the strap of my bag--if you see it, say hi! :wave:

Pete C

The solution for long lines is simple: don't go to F&W Fest on a weekend, period. Weekends are when all the locals go, because it attracts a lot of us. Last 2 years we waited in lines all day on weekends, but this year we decided to go on a Monday. Every booth was a walk-up. We hit so many places it was rather ridiculous. Ate a lot, drank a lot, and SPENT A LOT. It was awesome...we LOVE this event!!

Sloan

Tiggerish - I'll keep an eye out for you and the WDWMagic button - I see you're DVC @ Boardwalk - how fantastic to have International Gateway access for the Festival - I've done Beach Club for that reason before - it's so convenient ...

From my recent experience, (the past few years) I think you'll find the Festival crowds to be pretty manageable Monday through Thursday ... particularly during the day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom