Food stuck in Trachea? :(

dave&di

Original Poster
Hi guys,

Can I bend your ears please.

Last night I ate some mince and I felt like a piece got stuck, not in my throat, but the flappy bit (trachea ?) 24 hours later I can still feel it constantly, more so when I swallow, I'm not in pain just discomfort, I've tried coughing and gargling water. Is this possible? What can I do, I'm get a bit anxious as I can forget about as the feelings always there!

Help me please! :(

bsiev1977

Hi guys,

Last night I ate some mince and I felt like a piece got stuck, not in my throat, but the flappy bit (trachea ?) 24 hours later I can still feel it constantly, more so when I swallow, I'm not in pain just discomfort, I've tried coughing and gargling water. Is this possible? What can I do, I'm get a bit anxious as I can forget about as the feelings always there!

That sucks! I think after 24 hours I'd just go see a doctor.

StarWarsGirl

I wouldn't worry about it. It's probably just stuck in your tonsil or in the trachea and will work itself out. I'd give it a few days first. When I had tonsils, I'd get food stuck there all of the time. If you can stand it, it wouldn't hurt to work it out gently with your finger.

ratherbeinwdw

Hi guys,

Go to the doctor.

Sans Souci

Hi guys,

I inhaled a fly a couple of years ago while running and it was stuck in my trachea. I could feel it. In fact, I could feel it squirming around for a few seconds after I Inhaled it. It took a few days, but my body "broke it down." I think the body will do the same for a piece of ground beef. If in doubt, call the GP.

bubbles1812

Hi guys,

Go to the doctor. Please. If there really is a bit of food somewhere and especially if it is near or in the trachea (yes this can happen), there is a chance it could move and block your trachea fully. And if it's blocked fully and no one is around you to call emergency services, heck even if they are, well, then you have a strong possibility of dying. Sorry, not trying to scare you.. Or well yes, in a way I am. If you are feeling anxious, your mind is probably trying to tell you something.

Full disclosure, I'm a medical student. I've been working with kids for quite a while and there is nothing quite like seeing a blue struggling for breath 2 year old that got a corn kernel stuck down the trachea (Yes, even something as small as that can block the airway). Can just as easily happen to adults. Chances are your body will break up whatever is there but seriously, when it comes to your airway, better safe than sorry.

luv

I'd call the doctor.

It does sound like nothing, but food getting stuck can, in rare cases, be for other reasons than a fluke. I was gagging on water and sometimes food - like it went down the wrong way - every couple months for like a year. I thought it was happening more frequently than normal, but dismissed it. It was no big deal. When I finally got to a doctor, I had a mass growing and a gigantic thyroid and there were complications with the surgery and it was all a big mess.

They also found other things growing. Those things now hurt...sometimes a lot.

And I put it off because I figured it was nothing...and it went away. And I'm still not done dealing with it all.

So, go. Have it checked. Better safe than sorry. :)

NYwdwfan

I once swallowed a not-well-chewed piece of burger at a friend's BBQ and it scratched my throat - BAD - it hurt for DAYS. I really thought I was going to need to go to the Dr. but it got better after a few days. In retrospect (and my recommendation to you!) is I should have just gone to the doctor. Better to be SURE you didn't damage anything than to make yourself nuts wondering if you did. In the meantime some tea would probably make it feel a bit better. Good luck and keep us posted!!!

dave&di

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice guys, there's no change I still feel a lump in my throat and a bit sore, I'm not sure about going to the doctors as I'd probably be advised to go to hospital, surely a doctor can't remove it. I'll give it another day or two and then wait till I'm seriously I'll and go to the A&E (Emergency Room) ;)

bubbles1812

Thanks for the advice guys, there's no change I still feel a lump in my throat and a bit sore, I'm not sure about going to the doctors as I'd probably be advised to go to hospital, surely a doctor can't remove it. I'll give it another day or two and then wait till I'm seriously I'll and go to the A&E (Emergency Room) ;)
Can I ask why you are so doctor averse? Guess I'm just finding your attitude confusing. If there is damage, you are literally just choosing to let it possibly get worse. Is it an insurance thing? I can understand that but at the same time... A trip to the emergency room today is going to cost you the same as you went two days from now. Also, if there hasn't really been a change, there is a good chance it won't get better.

dave&di

Original Poster
Can I ask why you are so doctor averse? Guess I'm just finding your attitude confusing. If there is damage, you are literally just choosing to let it possibly get worse. Is it an insurance thing? I can understand that but at the same time... A trip to the emergency room today is going to cost you the same as you went two days from now. Also, if there hasn't really been a change, there is a good chance it won't get better.
Hi, firstly I'm from the UK our health service is free which means the quality is bad! So money is nt an issue, Secondly, I have been visiting the doctor for other ailments and have 2 more hospital appointments coming up in April and May, as I said the National Health Service is in a terrible state and if I can avoid dealing with it un nessasary I will. I am hoping it is a simple problem that will right itself, here in the UK you have to wait weeks for appointments, our health system can't cope with the demand, as it's free we get a lot of refugees come over especially to use it, both my parents have been in hospital lately and we were all disgusted at the state of things. I would love to pay for decent service like you do in the states!

dave&di

Original Poster
Any improvement today?
Hi, not really, infact feel really phlemy! I called NHS Direct which is a service run by the government to ask advice and they assess your situation, I was told to go to my doctor within 6 hours, so I made an emergency appointment which I've just come back from, my doctor said it would not be food stuck, it would be just the irritation of it happening, I would have coughed it up apparently, so although I'm not dying of "mince down wrong pipe" illness, I would have liked a solution but he gave me nothing to help :( Nothing!

Thanks for asking!

luv

That's it? No CT? No nothing? How does he know it is "just irritation" without any pictures??? Best guess? I'd think they'd do a CT, just to be sure. Jeez. Not very thorough.

I bet an ER would have done a CT.

But it's probably nothing. The odds of it being something are so small. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom