Food portion cuts to increase profits?

LSLS

Also, say what you want about Bob Iger, but he was very polished and knew how to speak to the press and public in a way that made a lot of these changes sound more palatable. Chapek just says the quiet part out loud.

Chapek didn't say this. The CFO said it, who became CFO under Iger.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
If it was a case of Disney wanting to cut down on food waste (NOT) and they are going to cut portion size allow people to ask for more when their plate is clean.
Can I Have Some More Oliver Twist GIF

Lilofan

Chapek didn't say this. The CFO said it, who became CFO under Iger.
CFO Christine's work contract is up in 2022. Let's see if her contract is renewed . The portion size comment is not even newsworthy for worldwide media to report it.

Last edited:

Ricky Spanish

It’s funny that so many people here are upset about this, but food companies have been doing this for years.
They are just not under the microscope like Disney.
Remember when a container of ice cream at the grocery store was 64 ounces?
That was reduced down to 56oz, then 48oz. For the same price.
I just recently noticed my 12 oz packages of chocolate chips are now 11oz and some 8oz packages of shredded cheese are now 7oz.

ToTBellHop

It’s funny that so many people here are upset about this, but food companies have been doing this for years.
They are just not under the microscope like Disney.
Remember when a container of ice cream at the grocery store was 64 ounces?
That was reduced down to 56oz, then 48oz. For the same price.
I just recently noticed my 12 oz packages of chocolate chips are now 11oz and some 8oz packages of shredded cheese are now 7oz.
The problem is not cutting portions. The problem is what she said. Breyer’s didn’t say they cut carton sizes because we are too fat.

peter11435

The problem is not cutting portions. The problem is what she said. Breyer’s didn’t say they cut carton sizes because we are too fat.
Exactly. There were tons of correct ways to answer the question. Swapping products, changing vendors, increasing prices, operational efficiencies, and cutting portions are all appropriate solutions to the problem. But she answered the question in one of the worst ways possible.

Bocabear

When everything is already premium priced through the roof, for lesser quality...and you still are not making enough profit there are problems elsewhere...not portion sizes on meals... Perhaps way overinflated upper management salaries could come down a bit to help the company bottom line... I think the hotel, restaurants, and theme park tickets are just about as high as the market will bear... It is unfortunate that we had years of decline in most of the parks and they now have to catch up... but they are not losing money on anything... the profits may just not be currently as high as they want them to be...

Disneyson

And, even as I am horrified by the syntax and gaffs that were given out by the company, I would not mind smaller portion sizes myself. Many single portion meals serve at least two. But hiding within this comment are indications that Genie’s price might increase, that the company may begin making cheaper and even more homogenized souvenirs, and that the entire experience will see more value-engineering. This sounds like the #1 priority for the parks. I think that there’s going to be a great reckoning. A tipping point is approaching.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
The CFO of the Walt Disney Company brought up " Cutting portion size " to increase profits. Also stated this would
" Be good for some peoples waistlines " . This profits are all that matters has reached the ultimate . So get ready
for the end of Boma buffet-Ohana will become Prix fix-and all other buffets will be gonzo. I am tired of the Take
take take and never give back.
No, that is not what she said. She said that inflation is getting extremely bad, both in labor and in food supply costs, and that cutting portion sizes is an option they're considering to try to avoid price increases.

She also didn't just come out and say this unsolicited. It was in direct response to a question she got from one of the analysts about inflation.

Bocabear

but they have set their current prices at very inflated levels to start with... Especially food and beverage in the parks. We have seen a steady decline in their food quality over the years since Disney Dining plans started...the prices have never dropped, but we have noticed quality and portion size dropping. So now they want to value engineer it even more?
It is a HUGE company...I am sure they could find other internal areas to cut back before it got to things that affect the guest experience...the guests who are already paying premium plus for their Disney vacation.

peter11435

No, that is not what she said. She said that inflation is getting extremely bad, both in labor and in food supply costs, and that cutting portion sizes is an option they're considering to try to avoid price increases.

She also didn't just come out and say this unsolicited. It was in direct response to a question she got from one of the analysts about inflation.
Correct. There’s nothing wrong with her answer regarding inflation and cutting portion sizes. The problem was her using it to attack their guests.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Correct. There’s nothing wrong with her answer regarding inflation and cutting portion sizes. The problem was her using it to attack their guests.
Oh I didn't hear it like that. I see how it can read that way in the transcript, but I didn't hear it like "our guests are fatties," I heard it like "haha wouldn't it be good for all of us if portions were smaller?"

Lilofan

One thing a little related is that the food court isn’t open until 7 vs when it used to be at 6 in the morning. (They didn’t serve all the breakfast items until 7). I‘m up, I want my coffee and apple danish.
Can't make coffee in the room with the coffee maker?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom