Food in the Resort

susan lees

If you are coming from uk and booking a package deal for a disney resort you might want to wait until the free dining deal starts on wdw official site.

scritchell

Original Poster
If you are coming from uk and booking a package deal for a disney resort you might want to wait until the free dining deal starts on wdw official site.
Yes, that's one of the options, but at the same time they offer 4 nights free on a 2 week break, so I have to weigh the best option up... Do I book without food and the 4 free night stay.....or wait until they offer free dining, but pay for the full stay regarding nights stay

susan lees

For a family you might be better with the 4 free nights. We've never had a dining plan when our kids were young and would just take snacks and drinks into the park and then usually a counter service meal or we would eat off site for dinner (we always hire a car). We would do a few table servicc meals for a treat.

Andrew Appleby

We're a family of 4 coming from the UK and got the DDP (when it was free) though I think we'd get it anyway. Moneywise it probably doesn't save all that much but being able to just go out with my magicband on will be invaluable. I don't really want to be carrying a wallet and cash around. Plus for us it just simplifies the budgeting.

DisAl

Thanks for the info
What’s the average cost of a meal in the parks?
Also is there a supermarket on site and can we take food into the park?
When it comes to drinks can we purchase a refillable cup?
TYIA
Scott
Average for another family might not be average for your family. If you drink water and don't get a desert it would cost much less than otherwise.
I suggest you go to this web page and you can look at the menu for every restaurant at WDW:
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/
As for the dining plan it will take a little work on your part to decide what is best for your family. If you are "light" eaters you won't break even. If you eat like our family does, especially hitting a number of the character meals for the kids, it can save you some money.

slappy magoo

Has anyone ever used the "Kids Eat Free" card, are they worthwhile?
I know you know the card's aren't eligible with WDW restaurants.
But if it's just you and a child traveling, and you don't drive, make sure the price of your transportation doesn't negate the free dining.

You might want to sign up for restaurant.com it's a site where you prepay to get discounts. Without sales it's usually $10 to get $25 off, but at least once a month there will be a promotion where a $25 discount will be $5, $3, or even $2. Also not valid in WDW, but still nice selections, not nearly as many fast food joints or chain restaurants. Some restrictions will apply, like a minimum purchase and dine-in only versus take-out.

scritchell

Original Poster
I know you know the card's aren't eligible with WDW restaurants.
But if it's just you and a child traveling, and you don't drive, make sure the price of your transportation doesn't negate the free dining.

You might want to sign up for restaurant.com it's a site where you prepay to get discounts. Without sales it's usually $10 to get $25 off, but at least once a month there will be a promotion where a $25 discount will be $5, $3, or even $2. Also not valid in WDW, but still nice selections, not nearly as many fast food joints or chain restaurants. Some restrictions will apply, like a minimum purchase and dine-in only versus take-out.
Yes, I will have to work out the KEF Vs Cab Fares
the website sounds tricky?
Can you explain more please

slappy magoo

Not tricky at all. Check it out. You don't have to have an account to explore the site, but if you opt to get one of their certificates, then you have to create an account, just as you would for amazon or any other online shopping site.

There's no membership fee or monthly dues.

On the main page, you specify a city or a postal "zip code" you'd like to explore, and how wide a radius you'd like to explore outside that zip code, from 1 to 50 miles. And it'll pop up every restaurant that participates. You can also filter results based on type of cuisine or average price, etc. If they have certificates for a restaurant you'd like to try, you click on the denomination, add it to your cart, then pay when you check out. You can print the certificate out, OR download their app and have the certificate on your phone.

And once you have an account, whenever they have promotions, they'll email you a code you can apply to your purchase. The most recent promotion ended yesterday but would've allowed you to get a $25 gift certificate for $4.

There are currently 83 restaurants within a 15 mile radius of Lake Buena Vista with gift certificates available though a few are strictly or mostly dessert based eateries, frozen yogurt or custard, etc.

scritchell

Original Poster
Not tricky at all. Check it out. You don't have to have an account to explore the site, but if you opt to get one of their certificates, then you have to create an account, just as you would for amazon or any other online shopping site.

There's no membership fee or monthly dues.

On the main page, you specify a city or a postal "zip code" you'd like to explore, and how wide a radius you'd like to explore outside that zip code, from 1 to 50 miles. And it'll pop up every restaurant that participates. You can also filter results based on type of cuisine or average price, etc. If they have certificates for a restaurant you'd like to try, you click on the denomination, add it to your cart, then pay when you check out. You can print the certificate out, OR download their app and have the certificate on your phone.

And once you have an account, whenever they have promotions, they'll email you a code you can apply to your purchase. The most recent promotion ended yesterday but would've allowed you to get a $25 gift certificate for $4.

There are currently 83 restaurants within a 15 mile radius of Lake Buena Vista with gift certificates available though a few are strictly or mostly dessert based eateries, frozen yogurt or custard, etc.
I'll have a look, thank you, do you know if there are many participating venue in and around i-drive?

jaklgreen

You will easily pay more in cab fare driving to off site restaurants for a free kids meal(which at those types of restaurants are usually $5-$6 and cabs will be at least $15-$20) then just staying on property. You can always share meals with your child. Remember American portions are pretty large.

scritchell

Original Poster
You will easily pay more in cab fare driving to off site restaurants for a free kids meal(which at those types of restaurants are usually $5-$6 and cabs will be at least $15-$20) then just staying on property. You can always share meals with your child. Remember American portions are pretty large.
Yeah i agree, although we was gonna venture into i-drive on a few nights, to mix things up a bit, what are your thoughts? Would it still be worth getting a KEF card?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom