Food and Wine Taste Sampler

GlassHalfFull

Original Poster
I will be in town for Food and Wine in a few weeks and have seen the Food Sampler badges that you can get 8 tastes for $59, and 16 tastes for $109. This obviously is NOT economical if I am loading up on the 4$ items, but is there a limit on what it can get me? I.e. can I use it for a Beer flight, or even a Dom Brut at Desserts and Champagne? just want to know what the limits of these vouchers are to know if they make economical sense for my wife and I to partake..

JohnD

I printed out a list from AllEars.net. I highlighted everything I wanted to try, added everything up, and came to more than $255! 16 tastes for $109 equals $6.82/item, so yeah I would purchase it and first use it on all the items I had highlighted that are $7 or more a piece.

Last edited:

GlassHalfFull

Original Poster
I see a lot I want to try.. but just want to know if there are any restrictions that those can or cannon be used for.

JohnD

I printed out a list from AllEars.net. I highlighted everything I wanted to try, added everything up, and came to more than $255! 16 tastes for $109 equals $6.82/item, so yeah I would purchase it and first it on all the items I had highlighgted that are $7 or more a piece.

For the sampler to be worthwhile, someone really has to do the research which I guess the average guest won't do. Plenty of items on the list that are less than $6.82, meaning it would be a money maker for Disney and the guest would be spending more on the sampler than OOP if they seriously don't do the math. But by my count, there are at least 46 items that are $6.82 or more. It's only worthwhile if you zero in on those items. Otherwise, you're losing money.

GlassHalfFull

Original Poster
I have seen them and the back only says.. Epcot International Food and Wine Festival, Valid for one(1) item at participating locations Expires November 14, 2016.. but I'd assume each booth that had outstanding items, not included, would list those somewhere..

GlassHalfFull

Original Poster
There are 5 locations.. per WDW website..

Purchase the Tasting Samplers at these locations:
  • The Festival Center
  • Bridge Kiosk East
  • Bridge Kiosk West
  • Canada Festival Emporium
  • Festival Boutique Kiosk (located between the Japan Pavilion and the Morocco Pavilion)

andy773

You have to add in the cost of sales tax (6.5%) to get the total actual cost. Also, the Tasting Sampler also includes a "Limited-edition 21st Epcot International Food & Wine Festival trading pin and lanyard." You can subtract the cost of that out if it's something you would consider buying. I collect pins so it might be worth it to me (after I see what it looks like.) Limited Edition pins regularly go for $10 to $15 and lanyards at the Disney Store are usually about $10.

Here is how I would calculate the value per item of the $59 Tasting Sampler:

Total Cost = $59.00 + 6.5% Sales Tax ($3.84) = $62.84

Subtract Value of Trading Pin & Lanyard (say $20.00) = $62.84 - $20.00 = $42.84

Divide by 8 Items = $42.84 / 8 = $5.35

A similar calculation for the $109 sampler gives a per item price of $6.01. Since I took the $20 off the total of each, the $59 sampler actually provides a better value. Buy two $59 Samplers and you get 16 items, PLUS another pin and lanyard!

If the pin and lanyard are worth more to you, then the value of the sampler goes up. If it's not something you would buy, then the calculation changes.

And I think the prices at the booths already include sales tax, so if you can find 8 items that cost more than $5.35, it will make sense.

Does this make sense or am I missing something here? Would love to know as I'm going to be there in October.

GlassHalfFull

Original Poster
You have to add in the cost of sales tax (6.5%) to get the total actual cost. Also, the Tasting Sampler also includes a "Limited-edition 21st Epcot International Food & Wine Festival trading pin and lanyard." You can subtract the cost of that out if it's something you would consider buying. I collect pins so it might be worth it to me (after I see what it looks like.) Limited Edition pins regularly go for $10 to $15 and lanyards at the Disney Store are usually about $10.

A similar calculation for the $109 sampler gives a per item price of $6.01. Since I took the $20 off the total of each, the $59 sampler actually provides a better value. Buy two $59 Samplers and you get 16 items, PLUS another pin and lanyard!

If the pin and lanyard are worth more to you, then the value of the sampler goes up. If it's not something you would buy, then the calculation changes.

And I think the prices at the booths already include sales tax, so if you can find 8 items that cost more than $5.35, it will make sense.

Does this make sense or am I missing something here? Would love to know as I'm going to be there in October.

I think this is completely reasonable as an estimate.. I just don't do the pins or anything, so for me it is solely a food/drink cost.. the lanyard and pin are not something I am getting that I would have interest in otherwise.. If you like those though then you calculation is probably more realistic. Is this something you can get any AP discount on? I just haven't been able to find a definitive list of items that are excluded from this. If the beer flights etc are included then this is definitely worth it. If they are excluded then it will definitely take some attention to reach value as alot of festival food/non alcoholic beverages are 4$ or so.

andy773

I found this regarding last year's Tasting Sampler:

The coupons are good for almost all of the food and beverage items at the International Marketplaces with the following exclusions: beers larger than 6 oz.; the tasting "flights," such as the wine flights and the beer flights; champagne; and the Artist's Palette, found at the Wine and Cheese Studio.

It was in the fine print on the back of the credential.

So it sounds like it's not good for the two things you really wanted to use it for. :-(

I wonder if the DVC discount is allowed?

JohnD

Another option. $200 gift card with medallion and lanyard (Photo from Disney Food Blog)

http://www./wp-content/uploads/2016/09/14398047_10153696988705981_74519964_n.jpg

In a way might be better than the sampler particularly for a larger party. Deduct whatever you want from the card. No special math to figure out value. Lanyard and medallion already thrown in.

2Shoes

2Shoes

This is the recipe for a great time at the Food and Wine Festival. If you're going to go and want to have fun... these sampler cards are the way to go.. you're most likely going to drop a hundy anyway. Thank you for the nice breakdown on thinking out the spend strategy. I was enthused enough to create my own itinerary of samples (16 of them) to get the most value from the purchase including a variety of samples. The only real problem is, I believe that the sampler sizes have become (almost insultingly) smaller. We attended the first day last week and ordered a beet salad from Florida Farm Fresh that was one of those "are you kidding me, that's it" ? moments. Which is too bad.. because we love this fest. I would think that the profits would still be sufficient enough without so much portion control. But... to some that's bothersome, to some that's not. So... we're not sure yet about going this route.. not because of the price, but because of the portion sizes.

Pleakley

We used these last year, and I'd have to say the best thing about them is the convenience. They really won't save you any money, and they will leave you on a hunt for the most expensive item, no different than if you use DDP qs credits. The values are the steak in Canada and maybe a few of the frozen drinks. But they make your trip to the kiosk incredibly fast. No scanning, no sad blue Mickey. You hand the cashier the your little token and off you go. Very easy to use and less waiting, if that is your thing.

cindy_k

Does anyone know if they are going to offer this, this year? (2017)

I find lots of references to last years, and 2015, but I can't find any mention on Disney's site that this will be offered again this year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom