Food advice needed for one year old in the parks

PSM

Original Poster
We will be in Disney World for our son's first birthday arriving this Thursday and leaving the following Wednesday. We always do our best to feed him healthy foods but realize this will be much more challenging in the parks than at home.

We will be trying to avoid constantly feeding him typical theme park / fried food just for the sake of convenience. He is at the point where he eats mostly solid food with just a few bottles of formula throughout the day, has a good amount of teeth, and eats just about anything, plus the formula will not be an issue. His normal meals consist of healthy carbs with grains (whole wheat waffles, pancakes, muffins, etc), fresh fruit that's on the softer side (melon, etc), vegetables that are steamed or cooked to be softer, meats/proteins that are softer and easily broken into small pieces, those types of things. Not all of that is feasible in a park but it gives you an idea of what we're looking for.

Any advice or insight you might have as to how we can achieve this would be appreciated (and we have reasonable expectations, of course). We're not freaking out about it or anything but this will be our first trip like this with a baby, so I'm sure many of you out there will have some good info and tips/tricks that we wouldn't know about.

Thanks!

buseegal

We will be in Disney World for our son's first birthday arriving this Thursday and leaving the following Wednesday. We always do our best to feed him healthy foods but realize this will be much more challenging in the parks than at home.

We will be trying to avoid constantly feeding him typical theme park / fried food just for the sake of convenience. He is at the point where he eats mostly solid food with just a few bottles of formula throughout the day, has a good amount of teeth, and eats just about anything, plus the formula will not be an issue. His normal meals consist of healthy carbs with grains (whole wheat waffles, pancakes, muffins, etc), fresh fruit that's on the softer side (melon, etc), vegetables that are steamed or cooked to be softer, meats/proteins that are softer and easily broken into small pieces, those types of things. Not all of that is feasible in a park but it gives you an idea of what we're looking for.

Any advice or insight you might have as to how we can achieve this would be appreciated (and we have reasonable expectations, of course). We're not freaking out about it or anything but this will be our first trip like this with a baby, so I'm sure many of you out there will have some good info and tips/tricks that we wouldn't know about.

Thanks!
I would start with thinking how would you feed him if you were eating out? at his age buffets and all you can eat places are your friend. he will be able to have a plate of his own. other times you will need to decide if you are going to order something that one of you can share with him or buy him a kids meal. it will be your choice. granted grandson was about six months older than your son at his trip. some places he shared with an older Disney adult brother other times we ordered him a kids meal. also remember it is only a week and you will be back to his normal meals. have a great trip

belledream

This has been on my mind a lot too since we will be taking our baby on his first trip around the same age. Granted, we just started solids and don’t have the greatest idea where his eating habits will be in that time like you do yet, but my untested “advice” would be to really look into the menus online as there are a surprising number of “healthier” gems around. (Since you say “fried foods” and “convenience” it makes me think you’re thinking about QS options, rather than TS).

Just know that QS isn’t as limited to burgers and fried stuff as one may think. For example, Columbia Harbor House has a salmon, broccoli, and couscous entree (that I’ve eaten before sans baby) that could be just right for you to order for yourself and share with baby. As of now, that’s my personal plan. And my husband can still get his plate of fried goodness.

Again, I’m much less experienced than you are, but since I’m in the same boat, just thought I’d chime in, and maybe pick up some tips as well. :)

NYwdwfan

Thanks!
I’d recommend taking a look at the menus here:

Expanding on the previous poster’s suggestion of Columbia Harbour House, they also have green beans & carrots as a side, as well as yogurt and squeezable applesauce with the kids meal. I often switch out a yogurt or fruit for the dessert at QS restaurants and have never had an issue. There are plenty of options for healthy meals throughout the parks. Looking through the menus should help zero in on what you are looking for.

kimberlymautz

Agreed with the other posts! We just got home yesterday and there were so many good options. We did the dining plan (was part of the deal we got) so we ate at a few buffets, which were great because my daughter had plenty to choose from. The quick service locations had a lot of options too and at all of the resorts there are fresh fruit and Veggie options as well. Also, we stayed at Pop and there were microwaves available to use near the food court so even if you don't have one in the room there are places to heat food up if you need.

I'd suggest either bringing or ordering some yogurt, snacks, fruit, etc that your kiddo likes at home to have with you. Then even if you don't necessarily want something healthy for one meal you'll have an alternative for him or at the very least something else so that he isn't eating only unhealthy.

Lots of spots have pastas, roasted chicken, salmon, carrots, broccoli, etc. Definitely check out menus online though, they're your best source. Then you could narrow down a few spots in each park that youd maybe want to stop at.

PSM

Original Poster
Thank you to everyone for all of the info. Bringing some food to the parks is definitely part of the plan; my parents will be driving in from about an hour away and will be able to bring some with them. We also have some table service reservations and I'm less concerned about those, since most places seem to have options for him. Keeping him going throughout the day as we're walking around is my primary concern.

Nsaudra

We take all our own food, they really like lunchables and the mickey fruit and cheese packs. We freeze them they stay cool all day.

LaughingGravy

Beer in a sippy cup.

Weather_Lady

If you're looking for healthful finger food that's manageable for a toddler to pick off of your plate, buffets and CS with toppings bars (e.g., Pecos Bill's in the MK) are your friend! So are many of the "Mickey Check meals" on the kids' menus, which feature healthful choices like grilled chicken, whole grain pasta, steamed veggies, yogurt and fruit. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by how many decent options are actually offered. Also, know that most CS meals at Disney are packaged as a combo with fries. Don't be shy about asking if you can order the meal without fries for a small discount, or if not, see if there are other sides on the menu that can be substituted (e.g., apple slices, vinaigrette cole slaw and cucumber salad are options I've been able to substitute on past occasions).

If there are specific things you'd like to seek out (e.g., when my son was 2, the only grown-up foods we could get him to eat were black olives and mussels!), touringplans has a great "menu search" tool you can use to search all the restaurants on property at once. http://touringplans.com/walt-disney-world/menu_items

UPDATE: Just realized the OP posted just before traveling, and would be there-and-back by now. Oops!

Last edited:

buseegal

Thank you to everyone for all of the info. Bringing some food to the parks is definitely part of the plan; my parents will be driving in from about an hour away and will be able to bring some with them. We also have some table service reservations and I'm less concerned about those, since most places seem to have options for him. Keeping him going throughout the day as we're walking around is my primary concern.
when planning the food you are bringing into park remember that you will not be able to get any heated other than at baby centers. nothing can be heated at restaurants unless you can heat in cup of hot water

ZimZim

Also don't hesitate to ask for something if you don't see it. Especially on buffets. We were able to ask for fruit (berries etc) for our then 16 mo old and no one even blinked. We Garden-Grocer'ed yogurts and brought pouches in our luggage, too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom