flying with my 2 year old

dixiegirl

Original Poster
any tips on flying with my 2 year old?? she did great last year but she also wan'st walking........also tips on bringing her into the park........and yes we are staying inside disney..........thanks

bearboysnc

Besides the normal toys to keep her busy, I would try to WEAR HER OUT. Keep her up. Theres nothing worse than being on a plane with a bunch of people glaring at you because you have a cranky child. Hopefully you can make her sleep through most of it.

Bring nibbly-things. The jaw movement will usually help her ears pop. Which can be uncomfortable.

If all esle fails give her a shot of whiskey. (JK):animwink:

RogueHabit

I can't say if this works yet, as it's just our plan for this year. We went and bought a new, lighter stroller than the big pram we had for our one year old.

This was purely for the holiday as we worked out that a £49.99 stroller was still cheaper than the accumaltive rental fees for in park strollers over a 14 day period.

You can take the stroller right to the departure gate and they will then transfer it to the hold for you and, if the airline is any good, they will generally have your stroller waiting for you at the gate when you get off the plane.

It also makes it much easier when you're getting to and from that parks as you don't have to surrender your stroller at the park exit.

Shannon_Yensid

oh god no, don't keep babies from sleeping....a sleepy child on an airplane is likely to fall asleep, but if they don't, look out

i recommend buying ear planes...they are ear plugs that relieve the pressure....my mom and my little sister love them...but if all else fales, keeps some ice handy, ______________ on ice is better than hard candy and works wonders on stuffed up ears

i can't remember what company makes this, but there are light weight carseats for kids to use on the plane as well and in the car...that was very helpful when my sister was young

as far as strollers, the lighter the better, no one wants to lug a heavy stroller around the parks and on the bus and the monerail....

well, have fun and remember, smiles make everything all better!:)

figmentmom

My son had chronic ear infections as a little boy, and flying was AWFUL for him until our pediatrician advised us to give him a shot of Dimetapp an hour before flight departure. Of course, this was back when Dimetapp had a really powerful antihistamine in it (not to mention a hefty percentage of alcohol). Generally, he was out for the count until we landed. (Actually, it worked so well I gave my husband a shot, too...):lol:

danamarie27

:lol: :lol: Figmentmom you read my mind. My mother use to say a shot a Dimetapp will cure all for a cranky child...and adults too!! joking all...:D

TURKEY

Originally posted by figmentmom
My son had chronic ear infections as a little boy, and flying was AWFUL for him until our pediatrician advised us to give him a shot of Dimetapp an hour before flight departure. Of course, this was back when Dimetapp had a really powerful antihistamine in it (not to mention a hefty percentage of alcohol). Generally, he was out for the count until we landed. (Actually, it worked so well I gave my husband a shot, too...):lol:

I usually took Nyquil instead of Dimetapp.

CAPTAIN HOOK

Flight - you don't state how long it is - our first trip to WDW was when my youngest was 23mths - the flight from the UK is just under 10 hours - treat it as a normal day for the child and if she cries - thats life. Yes it is annoying for other passengers but they were young once and should understand.
WDW - as already stated get a lightweight foldable buggy, it saves on rental, can easly be stowed on the WDW buses and also gives you somewhere to carry backpacks. If your daughter wants to walk - let her. Keeping her fastened in the buggy all the time isn't fun.
My daughter had a real good time on her first visit - except for the characters which scared her silly !!

On the flight, bring Juice Boxes for ascent/descent. Works as well as anything for keeping the jaw moving and relieving pressure.

We have also learned that a crying child is not the end of the world. Sometimes, no matter what we do, our child cries. While we do our best to minimize this, other people need to be understanding as well.

Park entrances: We kept our little one in the stroller, but we made sure that there was nothing in the basket in the bottom of the stroller and all pockets were open. That made it a breeze to get through the "security checkpoints."

jaylenofan86

Air Captain Jaylenofan86 recommends the use earplanes, Air Captain Jaylenofan86 used to have horrible ear pains in flight. After Air Captain Jaylenofan86 used earplanes, the pain was gone! Earplanes decreases the rate of altitude for the ears so they can adjust to the cabin pressure slower than the actual cabin pressure! Remember, use earplanes! (Sorry it had to sound like a commercial.)

tybroid59

Originally posted by CAPTAIN HOOK
Flight - you don't state how long it is - our first trip to WDW was when my youngest was 23mths - the flight from the UK is just under 10 hours - treat it as a normal day for the child and if she cries - thats life. Yes it is annoying for other passengers but they were young once and should understand.
WDW - as already stated get a lightweight foldable buggy, it saves on rental, can easly be stowed on the WDW buses and also gives you somewhere to carry backpacks. If your daughter wants to walk - let her. Keeping her fastened in the buggy all the time isn't fun.
My daughter had a real good time on her first visit - except for the characters which scared her silly !!

I was one of those children that never ever ever cried as a child :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: J/k.........most people on a flight dont mind you just think they do ...most feel sorry for you having to cope with it .

The Mom

Premium Member
Originally posted by turkey leg boy

I usually took Nyquil instead of Dimetapp.

Takes me back to the days of travelling with toddlers! I remember a clerk telling me.."This children's cold medicine has alcohol in it? Don't you want one without it?" The Mom: "NO, NO, I WANT THIS ONE!" ;) (I suppose she didn't notice the whining child behind me? )

Debbie

Children's Dramamine works wonders! My husband and I have to give it to our youngest because he gets motion sickness and it gives us a break too. When we arrive in WDW, Lil' Don is well rested, not nauseated, and we are stress free from the peace and quiet on the ride. Use a lightweight stroller for traveling. Nothing like trying to gather a heavy *ss stroller, diaper bag, camera bag, and don't forget the child:animwink: , then climb into the bus.

SteveS

Just make sure she doesn't sit there for the whole flight saying: Daddy, daddy, daddy, daddy, daddy, daddy, daddy, daddy, daddy,daddy etc, etc. We had this happen last trip, little girl did not shut up the whole way down (3hrs) and the parents just ignored her.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom