Flying a Drone at a WDW Resort

GenerationX

Original Poster
Son #1 has a cool drone with pretty impressive video capabilities. He'd like to take it with us to Pop, but he is unsure where on (or nearby) the resort grounds it would be permissible to fly it. He does not want it to be stolen, confiscated, or shot down. Is this possible in or around Pop?

Cmdr_Crimson

Last edited:

DisAl

As mentioned above WDW is a no fly zone, but there are FAA rules that affect drone usage that would apply.
You did register it with the FAA and read the rules didn't you? (One of the rules is never fly over groups of people.) There are some substantial fines if you get caught flying one that is not registered.

donsullivan

Premium Member
To be clear, the FAA's temporary (It has no expiration however) No Fly Zone over Walt Disney World does not cover the entire physical RCID property. It's a full circle that is centered at the east side of the water bridge between Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake, just to the south of the Contemporary Resort and extends out for 3 nautical miles in all directions from that point and extend up to 3,000 feet. The outer edges of the ring extend outs along the southern edge of World Showcase, swing across to the intersection of World Drive and Buena Vista Drive (Studios is completely outside the No Fly) and then continues its loop across the northern edge of Animal Kingdom which is also completely outside the No Fly Zone. That's why folks like BioReconstruct are able to fly over DHS and bring back the amazing aerial shots of the progress of Galaxy's Edge. When doing so, he is outside the No Fly Zone so those flights are completely legal.

One of the things that has become a growing controversy however is the fact that the No-fly extends well beyond the boundaries of the RCID property. Over the last decade or so there has been an enormous amount of residential development to the north and northwest of the RCID property and a huge portion of those homes are within the No Fly zone so any drone with the appropriate GPS restrictive software cannot even be flown in peoples backyards. That is not going over well at all.

This website is a good choice to get a visual look at the area the no-fly covers. Just enter Walt Disney World, or Bay Lake, FL in the address bar. If you are looking at it in the next week or so you'll see there is an additional short term no-fly zone centered at Wide World of Sports for upcoming Atlanta Braves pre-season baseball games. These are truly temporary and only last around 6 hours surrounding the games.

Last edited:

GenerationX

Original Poster
My son's drone is registered, so we're covered there.

Based on the website donsullivan linked to (thank you!), Pop is outside of the main WDW no-fly zone, but is inside the short-term WWoS no-fly zone. Since we'll be there in two weeks while spring training will still be going on, we'll have to check the Braves' schedule if he decides to take it. I've already told him the parks themselves are off limits, but there may be open area around Pop that he can fly it without crowds around.

donsullivan

Premium Member
My son's drone is registered, so we're covered there.

Based on the website donsullivan linked to (thank you!), Pop is outside of the main WDW no-fly zone, but is inside the short-term WWoS no-fly zone. Since we'll be there in two weeks while spring training will still be going on, we'll have to check the Braves' schedule if he decides to take it. I've already told him the parks themselves are off limits, but there may be open area around Pop that he can fly it without crowds around.

While it is absolutely your choice to try, I would strongly recommend against trying to fly a drone over any part of the WDW property whether you are within the FAA no-fly zone or not. Expect security to be all over you the moment they see it in the air. All of Walt Disney World is private property and the property owner can set any rules they like. But again, your choice.

Marc Davis Fan

Even if it's not within the no-fly zone (aka "temporary flight restriction" area), I'm sure it's against Disney's own rules to launch a drone from their property. It's also "bad show," being disruptive of other guests' carefully-crafted (and expensive) Disney experience, and thus highly inappropriate. I'd say you'll have to break it to him that he can't bring the drone.

Melanie818

I am sure everyone knows what their talking about here so looks like no drone. But if in doubt email the customer service to find out more. Maybe there are special rules. We all don't know about. Have fun.

s8film40

Yeah Disney doesn't allow you to take off or land on their property and that is their right. However their rights end there so people who have wanted to fly over resort areas have simply taken off outside of Disney property. Disney wouldn't like it but there's nothing they can do. That being said if you're staying there as a guest I wouldn't mess with it. Enjoy your vacation, making Disney angry while staying with them probably isn't a good idea.

JIMINYCR

Disney will enforce the no drone play. We were at POFQ last year and a family was flying a smaller toy drone on the green area, not flying high over the buildings or flying to take video and a CM approached them and ceased the play immediately.

Depending on the actual drone (if it's a fairly nice one) the software may even prevent you from ever taking off depending on where you are in the park. I flew a $3,000 drone ($1,000 before all the added cameras, and sensors for safety) commercially for a little while for a company and the drone software knows exactly where you are from the GPS systems and can prevent you from taking off in a no-fly-zone like a national park and alert you. I was unaware at the time, but since the drone was registered, it actually alerted the FAA and they sent us a letter basically saying that they were made aware that we did try to take off, and that we shouldn't fly in national parks (basically a warning letter). The only reason I didn't get in trouble is that I technically never took off, the aircraft was only powered on and calibrated.

Depending on where you try to fly at WDW, you will probably be in mild to severe trouble for taking off. If anything, contact guest services, the concierge, or the front desk about the rules for the exact spot on property you intend to fly. You may or may not get permission to fly it, but more than likely it will be an absolute no. If someone does say that you can, I personally would get it in writing just so that if you get in trouble with someone like Disney Security, you have something that shows you aren't just lying to them.

s8film40

Depending on the actual drone (if it's a fairly nice one) the software may even prevent you from ever taking off depending on where you are in the park. I flew a $3,000 drone ($1,000 before all the added cameras, and sensors for safety) commercially for a little while for a company and the drone software knows exactly where you are from the GPS systems and can prevent you from taking off in a no-fly-zone like a national park and alert you. I was unaware at the time, but since the drone was registered, it actually alerted the FAA and they sent us a letter basically saying that they were made aware that we did try to take off, and that we shouldn't fly in national parks (basically a warning letter). The only reason I didn't get in trouble is that I technically never took off, the aircraft was only powered on and calibrated.

Depending on where you try to fly at WDW, you will probably be in mild to severe trouble for taking off. If anything, contact guest services, the concierge, or the front desk about the rules for the exact spot on property you intend to fly. You may or may not get permission to fly it, but more than likely it will be an absolute no. If someone does say that you can, I personally would get it in writing just so that if you get in trouble with someone like Disney Security, you have something that shows you aren't just lying to them.
Not sure how long it’s been since you’ve flown, but there are some apps like AirMap and similar that give pretty good information where you can and can’t fly. As has been stated and you mentioned that no fly zone at the north end of preoperty is pretty strict and the software probably won’t even let you take off. It’s very frustrating I’ve had a few jobs I had to turn down to shoot houses behind the MK. The FAA really needs to make that something other than a circle. I can verify Disney has a rule against drones, so while you may be legally in the clear in some areas they will do what they can to restrict your behavior while on their property.

I know of people who’ve flown over Disney and it is perfectly fine you just have to be off property launch and fly over. I just wouldn’t recommend someone staying on property to do it. Also for those not aware there is a rule against flying over amusement parks so you’re pretty much limited to resorts and other stuff.

Not sure how long it’s been since you’ve flown, but there are some apps like AirMap and similar that give pretty good information where you can and can’t fly. As has been stated and you mentioned that no fly zone at the north end of preoperty is pretty strict and the software probably won’t even let you take off. It’s very frustrating I’ve had a few jobs I had to turn down to shoot houses behind the MK. The FAA really needs to make that something other than a circle. I can verify Disney has a rule against drones, so while you may be legally in the clear in some areas they will do what they can to restrict your behavior while on their property.

I know of people who’ve flown over Disney and it is perfectly fine you just have to be off property launch and fly over. I just wouldn’t recommend someone staying on property to do it. Also for those not aware there is a rule against flying over amusement parks so you’re pretty much limited to resorts and other stuff.

Too recently. I just assumed that it wasn't a no-fly-zone, plus the DJI software had just started informing you of them and prevented me from taking off. Just a minor mistake.

Either way, probably a good idea to check first, and to get permission just in case.

CaptainAmerica

That list only states that drones may not be brought into the parks. It doesn't say anything about them being prohibited at the resort hotels. That being said, I agree with others that Disney would probably be unhappy with the attempt.
It's interesting, I can't actually find any rules regarding the hotels whatsoever. Even firearms.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom