News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
At the end of the day, neither side should be doing or have done what they are doing or have done. 2 wrongs don’t make a right yet here we are. Again, this all could have been avoided. And for the record I don’t agree with them coming after Reedy Creek and Disney, all I’m saying is they created their own problem
There are not “2 wrongs” here…
…but there is clearly one
EXPRESSING A POLITICAL OPONION IS NOT A WRONG. It's the bedrock of our democracy.

View attachment 696865
A- $&@!ing -Men

So in the last 10 years it’s been determined private companies can - literally - buy the policy they need….
…but they can’t say anything about it?

Now what kinda dr Frankenstein system is that?

lazyboy97o

Please quote what I have said. Not just a small piece. Context means something. The way Disney does business means something also. They are willing to fight the state of FL but not the PRC. They know what is good for them.
The little arrow next to a quoted username lets people see the quote.

The context doesn’t change anything. You keep comparing Florida to an oppressive, authoritarian state. You keep telling us that Disney should act as though Florida is actually an oppressive authoritarian state and Disney would be better served by business decisions being considered in such a context. If that’s not what you mean then maybe try to come up with another example in someplace with a far better human rights record.

Tony the Tigger

2 wrongs don’t make a right

I didn’t say it was wrong

They are/were both wrong imo.

Disney needs to focus on running their company, not politics, period. They can say what they want but the country is too divided to be playing that game if they don’t think there will be any bad PR somewhere along the way regardless of their side of the fence

What they did and how they are both handling it is/was wrong (or at least not smart)

I don’t disagree with your point that Disney speaking out has resulted in this conflict so it’s accurate to say they caused this by speaking out. Where I think you are hearing a lot of push back is whether the reaction by the government is right/legal/justified. TWDC made the decision to speak out knowing it may cost them business. Companies make these decisions every day. You can’t please everyone. If the result was a loss in business from some people opposed to their speaking out it wouldn’t be an issue.

Where this is a huge problem is one man (with the help of some sheep) is abusing the power of the government (power the people entrusted to him) to attack someone who spoke out against him. That should never be allowed anywhere and people shouldn’t accept it no matter how much they support the politician or his politics.

So while Disney could have avoided this they shouldn’t have to “keep silent” for fear of inappropriate government retaliation.
This last post from GoofGoof saved me the trouble of responding to all the previous ones (and probably getting some deleted.)

100% perfectly stated.

How did we get to a place where people don’t know the basics?

Disstevefan1

Well like so many said, there will be a new special district that replaces RCID. I am happy to know the taxpayers will not get stuck with Disney's bond debt.

It's said as a result of this new special district, it will slow the construction of new things in WDW.

Can they work any slower at WDW?

Whatever special district Universal Orlando works in; it doesn't seem to slow them down.

Tonto

Reedy Creek wouldn’t even be in the news much less being disputed/challenged if they hadn’t stepped in it
Interesting how many people support the second amendment. I do!!!
However, I also support the 1st. You can't have it both ways. Disney did nothing wrong regardless of whether you agree or disagree with their statement.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony the Tigger

The Problem is that Disney caters to many demographics. There opinion towards the bill should have never been made. Either way, they offend someone. This time it was the vast majority of people in Florida who do not want their children indoctrinated or influenced about sexuality at a young age at which they truly can't comprehend it. Why there are those who want to confuse children at that age stymies me. Disney took the side of the minority and doing so angered the majority who disagree. That is where they erred. Disney of all companies should have stayed out of it. They have too much to lose. It cost them their precious autonomy.
They have every right to make their opinions known without threat of GOVERNMENT retaliation. Boycott all you want, that's how the market works. Their gamble was solid: they're not playing to the "majority" of Floridians. Their customers are all over the world. The majority of the country is not falling for this nonsense, and their own employees were clamoring for action.

Last edited by a moderator:

lazyboy97o

Well like so many said, there will be a new special district that replaces RCID. I am happy to know the taxpayers will not get stuck with Disney's bond debt.

It's said as a result of this new special district, it will slow the construction of new things in WDW.

Can they work any slower at WDW?

Whatever special district Universal Orlando works in; it doesn't seem to slow them down.
Things that don’t exist tend to not get in the way.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You'd have better luck trying to herd cats.

It's same arguments, just on a different day. It gets boring quick.
I was out on the ranch this morning rounding up those “steers”
1675789235279.png

Cliff

As a huge, lifelong Disney fan, I DO like the idea of the state stepping in to rename RCID and take a higher oversite roll over Disney.

I also love the idea of Nelson Peltz getting himself into Disney's board as well. At this time in Disney's life,...this company is in desperate need of "outside" guidence and opinion. It very much needs opposing points of view to keep the company balanced and healthy.

Any and ALL organizations the size and power of Disney...need that healthy, tough love pushback.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
As a huge, lifelong Disney fan, I DO like the idea of the state stepping in to rename RCID and take a higher oversite roll over Disney.

I also love the idea of Nelson Peltz getting himself into Disney's board as well. At this time in Disney's life,...this company is in desperate need of "outside" guidence. It very much needs oposing points of view to keep the company balanced and healthy.

Any and ALL organizations the size and power of Disney...need that healthy, tough love pushback.
Or I have an idea:

Bob Iger needs to go for a collection of younger/more fresh/outside management…

It works like a charm…I swear 👍🏻

And a personal request: can the movie guy be a a Gen Xer who played with Star Wars toys and dressed as Indiana Jones in college for Halloween at least once?🙏🏻

the_rich

I also love the idea of Nelson Peltz getting himself into Disney's board as well. At this time in Disney's life,...this company is in desperate need of "outside" guidence and opinion. It very much needs opposing points of view to keep the company balanced and healthy.

What Nelson peltz is doing is fine, whether I agree with it or not. But the state has no legal standing to do what they are doing. From the start they've made this about punishing them for their free speech. No one should ever like the idea of that happening.

lazyboy97o

Could you please provide some examples of how the District was in need of greater state oversight? In what areas was the District lacking in the application of different and opposing points of view? How does a board appointed by the state ensure this diversity of views on land management?

mikejs78

Premium Member

I don't disagree with your larger point, but these are the wrong avenues. The state getting involved because they didn't like Disney's speech is awful precedent, and could have disastrous effects. It also will put Disney at a distinct disadvantage to other companies because this board has the ability to tax them without any vote. Universals taxes are limited by the FL constitution and the general taxes of the county and city of Orlando.

As far as Peltz, he's the wrong guy to give fresh blood to Disney. All he cares about is shareholder returns, and he's friendly with Ike Perlmutter, who is a bigger cost cutter than Chapek was.

So yes to fresh blood, but let's make sure it's the right fresh blood. We need more creatives on the board, people who care about the Disney legacy and aren't going to try to nickel and dime. And no to a state takeover of an arrangement that has served both Disney and the people of Florida well, just because the governor didn't like what Disney said.

Disstevefan1

Is this something you are wishing for?
Who would wish for that?

My point is, under RCID they are slow. How much slower can they got things done?

Maybe under the new district, it will be so much trouble to get a permit that they will make it a point to get it done before the permit expires.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom