News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Dranth

It’s an indirect power that comes from Disney’s control because Disney doesn’t have to compete with other constituents. If the City of Orlando was short staffed Universal could lobby for more staff but could ultimately not prevail.

I would guess that Universal’s recently proposed community development district is all about gaining some control and special treatment from SunRail. While many are still focused on Brightline, SunRail offering transit for $2 - $3 per person is probably the bigger win for Universal. SunRail though is a rather Spartans service: stations are just open air platforms, ticketing is by self service kiosks, station staffing is minimal to non-existent and service is not consistent or offered on weekends. The new CDD could use its transit authority to build a station with amenities, subsidize service, contract for more frequent service, provide bus services through the district, etc. all to the clear advantage of Universal. Depending on the final boundaries of the district, Universal’s large land holding could definitely make them a major player in how this new district operates.
Got it, but that is kind of my point. RCID itself is not providing a direct special power that somehow only Disney has and that seems to be what a lot of people (not you) are trying to argue while ignoring the fact that other companies can do similar if and when it makes sense for their business.

Chi84

Premium Member
Of course they do.

But you have to also agree that an arrangement where a corporation that also functions as a quasi-governmental entity and prohibits people from living within “its” district so it can continue to run business as it sees fit free of messy governmental interference is antithetical to bedrock notions of “democracy”?
How did that come about?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
None of which are controlled by or exist for the near-exclusive benefit of a single multi-billion dollar international corporation.
The district doesn’t just exist for the benefit of TWDC it also exists to help the local counties from bearing the infrastructure cost for WDW which is unique in itself. For 50 years it benefited Disney and the citizens of FL. Without RCID other local taxpayers would almost certainly pay higher taxes and would absorb at least part of those expenses. It’s a false narrative that it was some windfall benefit for Disney.
How many of those special districts have one single corporate owner which restricts who it permits to live within boundaries of said districts?
Not sure what you mean by that. Disney owns the majority of the land. Why would they not be allowed to decide who lives on it? There are technically 19 landowners in the district but Disney is the overwhelming largest. Remember that RCID is not a full municipality it’s a special district with limited authority over specific tasks. It’s not like Disney controls Orange County.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Like it or not, faith in the institution of the courts has been in decline recently. If I were to communicate why I think that is the case here, I would probably get zapped. I will at least say that when it comes to granting expansion of the rights of expression to people, I have more faith in the lay person's thoughts than whatever opinion the current majority the highest court in the states has.
And I respect their decisions even when I disagree with them. Although you would likely find 99.99% consensus on 99.99% of their decisions.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Of course they do.

But you have to also agree that an arrangement where a corporation that also functions as a quasi-governmental entity and prohibits people from living within “its” district so it can continue to run business as it sees fit free of messy governmental interference is antithetical to bedrock notions of “democracy”?
Do you think this new board for RCID will allow people to live within the district now? Are they planning to take the land from Disney and give it to others or force them to sell?

fgmnt

And I respect their decisions even when I disagree with them. Although you would likely find 99.99% consensus on 99.99% of their decisions.
They rule on all kinds of things; but their legitimacy in the public consciousness depends on how congruent the public's understanding of citizens' rights is to the court. The court has no real, functional check on its power once a justice gets their seat; they can be impeached and convicted but outside of a violent state crime, I can't see that ever happening. That people can choose to think the court is not a legitimate institution is the closest check the people have on the power of the court. At some point, that could become a problem for those on the bench.

lightningtap347

Careful what you say out loud. If the Governor hears he may take offense and create a special district over your property to punish you. ;););)
1675738698348.png

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
One thing I will say is that the right to free speech and the ability to reason on whether or not to exercise it would be my whole take on the start of this. When I ran a hotel, I spent a lot of time interacting with my guests. Sometimes I knew them by first name, year after year when they stayed with us. Do you know how many of them knew my politics? None! It just made no sense. I certainly didn't have a banner endorsing one party behind the front desk. Did I have that right? Yes, I certainly did because I owned the hotel. Did it make good business sense? No, because it would alienate half of my guests. Another example: I am a retired LEO. I had a "Back the Blue" window decal on my car in Chicago. During the Summer of 2020 someone broke out 3 of my car windows while I was dining out with my wife. Did I have the right to have that window decal on my car? Of course I did. Should I have had the common sense to remove due to the backlash against police that was going on at the time. Yes, I wish I would have done just that. Hind sight is 20/20 but having a "right" and choosing whether it is a good idea to exercise that right are two different things. We all agree that Disney has the right to say many things under the 1st amendment, but is it always the best choice for business to do so?

lazyboy97o

Got it, but that is kind of my point. RCID itself is not providing a direct special power that somehow only Disney has and that seems to be what a lot of people (not you) are trying to argue while ignoring the fact that other companies can do similar if and when it makes sense for their business.
There are unique powers not typically found in other districts. Other districts don’t necessarily control zoning or building; electrical service in the state has since been partitioned amongst the typically commercial providers. I think they might be able to issue bonds others typically cannot. Reedy Creek Improvement District absolutely has unique powers, but the advantage they confer isn’t the one typically presented, that they allow Disney to avoid expenses and regulation.

lazyboy97o

One thing I will say is that the right to free speech and the ability to reason on whether or not to exercise it would be my whole take on the start of this. When I ran a hotel, I spent a lot of time interacting with my guests. Sometimes I knew them by first name, year after year when they stayed with us. Do you know how many of them knew my politics? None! It just made no sense. I certainly didn't have a banner endorsing one party behind the front desk. Did I have that right? Yes, I certainly did because I owned the hotel. Did it make good business sense? No, because it would alienate half of my guests. Another example: I am a retired LEO. I had a "Back the Blue" window decal on my car in Chicago. During the Summer of 2020 someone broke out 3 of my car windows while I was dining out with my wife. Did I have the right to have that window decal on my car? Of course I did. Should I have had the common sense to remove due to the backlash against police that was going on at the time. Yes, I wish I would have done just that. Hind sight is 20/20 but having a "right" and choosing whether it is a good idea to exercise that right are two different things. We all agree that Disney has the right to say many things under the 1st amendment, but is it always the best choice for business to do so?
This is completely disingenuous. We’re not talking about customers deciding not to patronize Disney.

lightningtap347

It's fascinating to me that under trifecta control, the cost of living in Florida has become such an insane problem, and the reward for those in charge last cycle was resounding re-elections.
Well it isn't like the education system is getting any better here either. Can't even blame gerrymandering, it seems people overwhelmingly want to be destitute in the name of hurting "others."

It's a strange phenomena.

fgmnt

What's interesting is that none of your fun anecdotes involve the State punishing you, explicitly nor implicitly, for your speech... just private citizens. The Constitution does not protect you from consequence of your speech between private transactions, but it is supposed to safeguard private citizens and the entities they own, operate, and manage from reprisal by the State.

EPCOT-O.G.

Reedy Creek Improvement District absolutely has unique powers, but the advantage they confer isn’t the one typically presented, that they allow Disney to avoid expenses and regulation.
Huh? RCID allowed Disney to get a jump on Universal, allowing it to open a full year before its competitor due to the comparatively streamlined permitting process.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Do you think this new board for RCID will allow people to live within the district now? Are they planning to take the land from Disney and give it to others or force them to sell?
This is just alarmist. What purpose would this serve? On what grounds could they do this?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom