News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

mightynine

The most obvious issue in the State's is taking away landowner's voting power for the district while keeping said district in place. This is extremely likely headed to court (assuming it will be settled by the federal courts at some point). This is way thornier and legally dubious than the state just dissolving the district.
Guessing they think by keeping the district in place but adding another layer of red tape over it, that would keep Reedy Creek's liabilities from being dumped on the local counties. Something they might've considered before dragging out the big ol' rubber stamp before!

lazyboy97o

A few years to re-do existing code...

3089 (3) REVIEW AND EVALUATION OF EXISTING RESOLUTIONS, CODES,
3090 AND REGULATIONS.—On or before July 1, 2026, the district must
3091 undertake a comprehensive review and evaluation of its
3092 comprehensive plan, zoning regulations, land development
3093 regulations, environmental protection regulations, building and
3094 safety codes and regulations, platting and subdivision
3095 regulations, and fire prevention regulations and adopt revisions
3096 to such as the district determines are necessary for health,
3097 safety, and welfare and for consistency with this act.
So they’re going to investigate the use of the state’s own fire prevention regulations. This totally isn’t being done on a whim.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Fun line...

3028 hereafter enacted to the contrary notwithstanding, the
3029 jurisdiction and powers of the board of supervisors with respect
3030 to the matters provided for in this section shall be exclusive
3031 of any and all codes
, ordinances, requirements, plans, or other
3032 regulations of the respective Boards of County Commissioners of
3033 Orange and Osceola Counties or of any other agency or authority
3034 of Orange County or Osceola County with respect to comprehensive
3035 plans; zoning; building and construction; planning with respect
3036 to the subdividing, uses, development, and redevelopment of
3037 land; regulation of building safety; regulation of escalators,
3038 elevators, and other lifting or transportation devices;
3039 regulation of amusement and recreation parks and facilities;
You need to include what section these quotes are from. This section references:

3021 Section 23. Planning; building codes; safety regulations;
3022 platting and subdivisions; zoning.

3023 (1) EXEMPTION FROM COUNTY ZONING AND REGULATION;
3024 LIMITATION OF MUNICIPAL ORDINANCES AND REGULATIONS.

This section is about building codes and safety regulation and general zoning. Sure, the governor's guys could create crazy codes for the parks ("Magic Kingdom, for the sake of fire safety shall cap its attendance to just 5,000 guests per day"). But this bill provides means of challenging any decision and allowing conflicts to go to court.

We'll see if, in the end, the governor can name people to the board, what sort of mischief they intend to do.

Otherwise, this all reads as boilerplate special district language (as far as I have skimmed). The one big difference is the appointment of the board directly by the governor with senate approval.

ctrlaltdel

Honestly (especially after Iger re-took over), shocked that DeSantis didn't have someone negotiate some things out of the original RCID legislation to "own" Disney but fundamentally keeping everything the same (which honestly benefits all parties). Instead he's still going for a full powergrab. Seems silly, but we all know he's hoping to not even be in Florida by the time this is actually resolved.

Gringrinngghost

The most obvious issue is the state taking away landowner's voting power for the district while keeping said district in place. This is extremely likely headed to court (assuming it will be settled by the federal courts at some point). This is way thornier and legally dubious than the state just dissolving the district.
Florida does know a thing or two sadly about Jim Crow. Its just modernized here.

Ayla

Politically at least, they don't have much to gain from announcing a cancellation of Lake Nona.

Those who support this move will just hail it as another victory in the fight to drive wokeness out of the state and it helps that camp to imply some kind of hostility on Disney's part toward Florida. Even if they're rethinking it, they'd be best to keep quiet and (slowly) proceed for now.
It would also deprive FL of hundreds of millions of dollars.

mightynine

Indeed. Cancelling could backfire in making seem that Disney is threatening the governor or the state.

Best to go ahead and build it.

Slowly.
They're going to make some poor Imagineer work from a tractor-trailer on the site for a year, aren't they?

"Tom, you've always wanted to work close to water, right?"

lazyboy97o

Honestly (especially after Iger re-took over), shocked that DeSantis didn't have someone negotiate some things out of the original RCID legislation to "own" Disney but fundamentally keeping everything the same (which honestly benefits all parties). Instead he's still going for a full powergrab. Seems silly, but we all know he's hoping to not even be in Florida by the time this is actually resolved.
Those alleged plans were not being reported as a win.

mikejs78

Premium Member
You need to include what section these quotes are from. This section references:

3021 Section 23. Planning; building codes; safety regulations;
3022 platting and subdivisions; zoning.

3023 (1) EXEMPTION FROM COUNTY ZONING AND REGULATION;
3024 LIMITATION OF MUNICIPAL ORDINANCES AND REGULATIONS.

This section is about building codes and safety regulation and general zoning. Sure, the governor's guys could create crazy codes for the parks ("Magic Kingdom, for the sake of fire safety shall cap its attendance to just 5,000 guests per day"). But this bill provides means of challenging any decision and allowing conflicts to go to court.

We'll see if, in the end, the governor can name people to the board, what sort of mischief they intend to do.

Otherwise, this all reads as boilerplate special district language (as far as I have skimmed). The one big difference is the appointment of the board directly by the governor with senate approval.

I don't think that's the case. The section on taxes and fees in particular seems to basically allow the district to raise money however it wants with very few limits - without consent of the voters.

There's even a 10 mil "ad valorem maintenance fee".

And also a ton about the district superceding municipalities in every way - not standard boilerplate.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don’t think the district has that type of power over private land use, they are in charge of permits, roads, sewer, etc just like a normal municipality, just like my city can deny me a permit to build a new shed but they dont have the power to tell me to tear down my permitted house.
The district has the power over “private land” because the districts and all the land are owned by the same P.O. Box…

It’s in burbank, California…

That’s exactly why the Disney brothers insisted on it before they bought the land/made the announcements. It was “politely required” by Roy…never “optional”

Florida was more sleepy then than they are now…
…so a large company with amazing clout decided to build them a region.
And they damn well did.

This is such 21st century “nonsense”…it’s all bluster and no pragmatism.

Ready player one feels more “grounded” than this.

rezzyk

So actually that's my question - do other districts have boards that are appointed by the governor? Like, this special session is also reauthorizing the Eastpoint Water and Sewer District - what is their board situation? And I guess it's too soon to know how the Shingle Creek Transit Utility Community Development District (if that's even the same type of thing) for Brightline/I-Drive will be set up.

I would think that if RDIC is being singled out with rules/requirements that other districts are not, that's an easy win in court for Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom