News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

lazyboy97o

You really don't get it. People need to learn from the great speakers instead of opening mouth and inserting foot. How something is presented is very often more important than what is presented.
View attachment 693126
No. Free speech isn’t limited to eloquent speech. People can say any stupid thing they want in whatever dumb way they want to say it. It doesn’t matter if Chapek also made a bunch of vile comments about state officials. It doesn’t matter. He could have even done it while yelling “Fire!” in a theater and handing out anti-war leaflets.

EPCOT-O.G.

Lightyear was still the second highest grossing animated film of 2022. 2nd to Minions which is a major franchise, which was also succeeding on its own without people defecting from Disney. It surpassed many animated movies from other studios. Lightyear also wasn’t highly rated by critics who aren’t judging it based on political message or content. Got a 74% on rotten tomatoes from critics. Toy Story 4 got 97% from critics. Big drop in quality there.
Why does the film have to animated? So the plan is to boycott just animated films to punish Disney for being ”woke” but then shelling out $20 for blue aliens. So should we just boycott Fantasyland too but it’s ok to visit Star Wars Land?
You added the “animated film” qualifier. I introduced clear facts undercutting your core argument.

flynnibus

Premium Member
A legal challenge in court is not behind closed doors.
But is incredibly slow, boring, and not something either side can amplify or make more interesting as the process drones on for years. They don't control the venue... they don't control the timing... they don't control the presentation. It's a bog they can't make dance like they can their own venues and messages.

It's not like some OJ trial with a ton of witness testimony, etc.. It will be years of filings and motions with zero TV time and very few hearings vs the amount of time and cycles.

lazyboy97o

But is incredibly slow, boring, and not something either side can amplify or make more interesting as the process drones on for years. They don't control the venue... they don't control the timing... they don't control the presentation. It's a bog they can't make dance like they can their own venues and messages.

It's not like some OJ trial with a ton of witness testimony, etc.. It will be years of filings and motions with zero TV time and very few hearings vs the amount of time and cycles.
Agreed, and I said something similar earlier. It does though not stop it from being talked about. An ongoing challenge though is a reason to keep bringing the subject up. Every speech can include a mention of how Disney is trying to use activist judges to maintain their special treatment and how the state is fighting against such special interests. The whole argument for no action is operating under the assumption that if Disney doesn’t act then nothing will happen, even though this subject has come back up despite Disney not acting.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Agreed, and I said something similar earlier. It does though not stop it from being talked about. An ongoing challenge though is a reason to keep bringing the subject up. Every speech can include a mention of how Disney is trying to use activist judges to maintain their special treatment and how the state is fighting against such special interests.

The news cycle quickly bores of references to something that stays the same forever. The third or fourth time they reference 'the case that is still in the courts...' people will immediately drift away. It's not going to be a talking point of force. It's going to drone on and fall out of the limelight, just like the DAS, wheelchair, and every other kind of civil suit that even the most focused audiences have a hard time following until real judgements are passed.

I have no idea what 'no action' argument you are referring to.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You added the “animated film” qualifier. I introduced clear facts undercutting your core argument.
Actually I didn’t. That was added by the original poster I was discussing this with him. You jumped in mid conversation with your own agenda. You do you I guess.
Seeing is how Disney's animated movies are doing less than other studios children's and family offerings, and Universal's Theme Parks are seeing better growth. I don't think your people won't act on where they want to spend their money has much merit.

celluloid

I don't really have an agenda, but the facts are facts. Disney animated features were the less of the major animated releases of the year, and both of them had direct connections to the bad press received, whether we agree it deserved it or not.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Court battles usually are drawn out affairs.

DeSantis is not going to wait for developments in the court case. He’s got more than 50 primaries to run, typically at least one per week. This means every week he’s going to give a speech that includes something about “fighting woke Disney”. This means local coverage every week in whichever state he’s campaigning in.

It doesn’t matter if it’s RCID or the residents who file the lawsuit. DeSantis will make it about Disney.

DeSantis is going to milk this. Even though Iger does not want to make this political, DeSantis will make sure that it is.

We talk about DeSantis potentially being gone in less than 2 years. Iger is supposed to be gone in less than 2 years too. Does Iger want this to be still going on when Iger leaves? Does Iger want an ongoing lawsuit with the state of Florida to be part of his legacy? Or does Iger have more urgent issues to address, most of which have little to do with Florida?

Iger can fight this but if he does, it likely will not be settled before Iger is scheduled to retire.

Disney eventually will win, one way or another. It’s up to Iger to decide when and how.
I agree with all of this. I also think it’s why we won’t see a public compromise now. I do think there’s a good chance this gets delayed whether by the legislature or by the courts. Either way this will be milked until it stops being useful.

flynnibus

Premium Member

DeSantis is not going to wait for developments in the court case. He’s got more than 50 primaries to run, typically at least one per week. This means every week he’s going to give a speech that includes something about “fighting woke Disney”. This means local coverage every week in whichever state he’s campaigning in.

It doesn’t matter if it’s RCID or the residents who file the lawsuit. DeSantis will make it about Disney.

Noise that doesn't really hurt Disney - only is fodder in the local politics.. which Disney will deal with behind closed doors anyway. Disney will 'kill them with kindness' instead of knives out.

As for national politics - if it comes to that, Disney will have a stronghold it will hold and will point out actions by DeSantis, etc , but won't go on the offensive. Mark my words.

We talk about DeSantis potentially being gone in less than 2 years. Iger is supposed to be gone in less than 2 years too. Does Iger want this to be still going on when Iger leaves? Does Iger want an ongoing lawsuit with the state of Florida to be part of his legacy? Or does Iger have more urgent issues to address, most of which have little to do with Florida?

Iger is smart enough to play the long game. This is chess, not checkers.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don't really have an agenda, but the facts are facts. Disney animated features were the less of the major animated releases of the year, and both of them had direct connections to the bad press received, whether we agree it deserved it or not.
I don’t think you have an agenda. That wasn’t directed at you and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with us disagreeing on this topic. There are many things we agree on, doesn’t have to 100%. We can agree to disagree on how much of a conclusion can be drawn by a few films over a very limited period. You are assuming the only reason Disney animated features under performed was this conflict with DeSantis but I think it’s hard to place all of the blame on that. I don’t disagree they didn‘t have their best year, but other Disney movies did fine. If it’s a boycott that’s causing the decline are people really splitting hairs and only boycotting animated films? That to me seems like a stretch. We will see as time goes on.

lazyboy97o

DeSantis is going to milk this. Even though Iger does not want to make this political, DeSantis will make sure that it is.

Iger can fight this but if he does, it likely will not be settled before Iger is scheduled to retire.

Disney eventually will win, one way or another. It’s up to Iger to decide when and how.
Why is the past tense better than the present tense? Why is “I’m doing this and will keep doing it” better than “I did this and will do it again”?

CntrlFlPete

Technically late 2024/early 2025 if DeSantis runs for and wins the presidency.

And then Disney has bigger issues: A POTUS who is against them and isn't afraid to use the resources at his disposal to make their existence a living hell.

current FL law would not let the GOV. run for president w/o resigning, so he would need to step down the day he announces his run -- save I am sure his legislators will pause said law.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
current FL law would not let the GOV. run for president w/o resigning, so he would need to step down the day he announces his run -- save I am sure his legislators will pause said law.
Bolded for emphasis.

Which law btw? I'm really not in the mood to fish through legislation.

lazyboy97o

Bolded for emphasis.

Which law btw? I'm really not in the mood to fish through legislation.
Here is the law.

And leaders of the state houses are on the record as being open to making just such changes.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Here is the law.

And leaders of the state houses are on the record as being open to making just such changes.
Appreciate this.

And yep, sounds about right. Party and politics before people.

flynnibus

Premium Member
You really have it wrong! You can have all the free speech, no limits, but! the speech that is impactful is eloquent. So you still don't get it. No one is talking about limiting free speech. It's about meaningful free speech that has impact and is not useless noise. Everyone and anyone can generate noise. Most protests have soo many people exercising "free speech" they successfully drown each other out and all that is heard is NOISE!

Again... this conflict had nothing to do with how the message was delivered so your whole "How something is presented is very often more important than what is presented" is irrelevant. It had everything to do with agendas and spite.

Hitler was really moving in his delivery and timing too...

Last edited:

Ayla

And it costs both parties an incredible amount of (wasted) money. Whether they realize it or not, FL taxpayers are paying for this hissy fit from their govenor.

GimpYancIent

And it costs both parties an incredible amount of (wasted) money. Whether they realize it or not, FL taxpayers are paying for this hissy fit from their govenor.
True! RCID will go away, another entity will be created to fill the void that will not look like nor be named RCID but cover all the necessary functions, the state, counties, WDW and other parties involved will continue just fine. The small army of legal eagles working out the legal language and details are billing a ton of hours (yeah, they are happy) and the everyday citizen? will just foot the bills and have to survive with the results.

lazyboy97o

You really have it wrong! You can have all the free speech, no limits, but! the speech that is impactful is eloquent. So you still don't get it. No one is talking about limiting free speech. It's about meaningful free speech that has impact and is not useless noise. Everyone and anyone can generate noise. Most protests have soo many people exercising "free speech" they successfully drown each other out and all that is heard is NOISE!
You are one who was characterizing the speech as problematic because it was a “threat.”

LittleBuford

Here, as a reminder, is Disney's statement:

Florida’s HB 1557, also known as the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ bill, should never have passed and should never have been signed into law. Our goal as a company is for this law to be repealed by the legislature or struck down in the courts, and we remain committed to supporting the national and state organizations working to achieve that. We are dedicated to standing up for the rights and safety of LGBTQ+ members of the Disney family, as well as the LGBTQ+ community in Florida and across the country.​

It's not the most eloquent of compositions, to be sure, but neither is it "useless noise". I'm not sure how else the company could have expressed itself without prevaricating, which, to my mind, would have been worse.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom