News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
That's about right. The Governor has no later than one month prior to session to submit his recommended budget. Session always begins on the first Tuesday of the first Monday in March of odd years and January of even years. That's March 7 in 2023. So his recommended budget must be submitted no later than February 7.

Executive agencies submit their budgets by October 15 when Session begins in March and September 15 when Session begins in January.

Been there, done that. Got pulled out of a FWS workshop in Orlando one July to rejigger our Bureau's budget. Thank goodness I had the laptop with me.

LAKid53

Premium Member

JohnD

It's that time of year. Committees are meeting to discuss upcoming legislation.

Wait, I thought the mockingbird was the state bird?

In the meantime, the property insurance crisis is reaching a disaster point.
1. Yep.
2. Correct. But a bill was filed to switch it to the Scrub Jay. Other contenders: flamingo and osprey
3. Special Session for Property Insurance is next week.

CntrlFlPete

The Legislature is already filing bills. Glad to know they're staying on top of the important issues such as the designation of the state bird.

Trust me, their top priority is a FL law that requires anyone in state government to resign their office if they decide to run for any Federal Government office. I seem to recall this whole Reedy Creek thing came about at a special session called for to address FL's home insurance woes (and that was prior to a couple of hurricanes that have certainly made matters worse).

EDIT to state 'federal government' as opposed to just 'government'

Last edited by a moderator:

LAKid53

Premium Member
Trust me, their top priority is a FL law that requires anyone in state government to resign their office if they decide to run for any Federal Government office. I seem to recall this whole Reedy Creek thing came about at a special session called for to address FL's home insurance woes (and that was prior to a couple of hurricanes that have certainly made matters worse).

That is correct. At the last moment, the purpose of that special session was shifted. And I expect we'll see a return of the requirement to resign your current office if running for a federal office which term conflicts with your current office, back to the original wording of the Resign to Run law, which exempted those running for federal offices.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnD

I feel the GOVN won't change whatever 'plan' he has as his current fight seems to be against woke companies. I believe once the GOVN. calls a company 'woke', the state must sell any stocks the state holds in any pension fund. I further believe his followers still feel Disney is too woke.

You're thinking of Special Session 2022C, where the Legislature had to vote on the Congressional districts of the state. "Special districts" was considered germane, so the RCID along with several other special districts were revoked.

Homeowners insurance will be considered at a special session next week.

CntrlFlPete

You're thinking of Special Session 2022C, where the Legislature had to vote on the Congressional districts of the state. "Special districts" was considered germane, so the RCID along with several other special districts were revoked.

Homeowners insurance will be considered at a special session next week.

.thanks! I was thinking of session 2022D for insurance (may 2022), but you are correct, this was april. Just knew this got done and the topic of insurance was moved down the road.

JohnD

.thanks! I was thinking of session 2022D for insurance (may 2022), but you are correct, this was april. Just knew this got done and the topic of insurance was moved down the road.
I'm confused how they name the sessions. Apparently next week's session is "2022A", although they've already had 2022C and 2022D. Huh? I think the lettering is based on the fiscal year because prior to those there was 2021A and 2021B. Therefore, this is the first special session in Fiscal Year 2022-2023 (July 1, 2022 - June 30, 2023), hence "2022A".

UNCgolf

From Bloomberg:

Disney Investor Demands Files Over Opposition to Florida’s ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Law

Highlights from the article:
  • Disney shareholder Kenneth Simeone is suing Disney to disclose internal records about the decision to oppose the Florida Parental Rights In Education act.
  • In his 22-page filing, Simeone claims that Disney caused "far-reaching" financial harm by opposing the law, specifically the disillusion of RCID.
  • Including in the filing: “The financial repercussions from Disney’s actions, and resulting harm to the company and its stockholders, have been swift and severe."
  • Quoting from the article: "The complaint is a so-called 'books and records' action, demanding documents that can be used to sue Disney directors over the decision to oppose the Florida law. Delaware judges often grant such file requests."
  • Disney has declined to comment on the lawsuit.

They're called Section 220 demands, and it wouldn't be shocking to see them win the rights to the records because, as mentioned therein, Delaware is pretty open to these requests.

Actually bringing a further shareholder action against Disney would likely be significantly harder, though.

JoeCamel

From Bloomberg:

Disney Investor Demands Files Over Opposition to Florida’s ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Law

Highlights from the article:
  • Disney shareholder Kenneth Simeone is suing Disney to disclose internal records about the decision to oppose the Florida Parental Rights In Education act.
  • In his 22-page filing, Simeone claims that Disney caused "far-reaching" financial harm by opposing the law, specifically the disillusion of RCID.
  • Including in the filing: “The financial repercussions from Disney’s actions, and resulting harm to the company and its stockholders, have been swift and severe."
  • Quoting from the article: "The complaint is a so-called 'books and records' action, demanding documents that can be used to sue Disney directors over the decision to oppose the Florida law. Delaware judges often grant such file requests."
  • Disney has declined to comment on the lawsuit.
Firewall but did they really spell it that way or has something been lost in translation?

specifically the disillusion of RCID.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom