News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

lazyboy97o

@lentesta was talking about the building codes and the District on The Disney Dish. The EPCOT Building Code is not drastically different and more restrictive than the Florida Building Code when it comes to hurricanes as Len unfortunately suggests.

The ultimate wind load requirements in the EPCOT Building Code are similar to what Orange County enforces. Exterior elements must have the same Florida Product Approval as in other areas. What really drives some Disney facilities to being more hardened is their size, which can push them from the typical Risk Category II into a Risk Category III.

The Florida Building Code has largely been a success and make buildings more resilient to hurricanes. It is though only about 20 years old, so there is still plenty out there built under the prior, less functional system of codes. Except certain types of structures, there are also not recurring building code inspections to see if facilities are properly maintained. Even new construction can be deficient based on a variety of factors.

Building codes are also minimum standards. Exceeding them is allowed. Disney as a company has their own accessibility standards that, where possible, exceed those required by the District / State and the federal government.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Correct, the statewide building code went into effect after Hurricane Andrew in 1992. Prior to that, it was a mish mash of county codes.

After Hurricane Dennis damaged Alligator Point, Carrabelle and St. George Island (leveled the sand dunes) in 2005, local codes for homes built along the Panhandle Gulf Coast were changed - pylons for homes needed to be bigger in diameter, taller and sunk deeper, large windows facing the Gulf had to have hurricane shutter, etc. Many homes on both Carrabelle Beach and St. George Island were either flooded or knocked off their pylons due to the storm surge.

After the Surfside collapse, a new law was passed requiring inspections every 10 years in certain types of property taller than 3 stories. Counties may also have their own codes for inspection regarding commercial and large scale residential properties, like apartments and hotels.

JohnD

The next session of the legislature isn’t until march.

They aren not in a rush to announce things before they can actually be acted upon.

I doubt we see anything until closer to the session deadlines
By Florida Statute, the Governor is required to provide his recommended budget one month prior to session. Florida's 2023 session begins Tuesday, March 7. One month would be no later than Tuesday, February 7. That doesn't mean he'll have commentary on the next phase of RCID. This topic and the budget are separate. But it is one possible timeframe we may hear something.

flynnibus

Premium Member
By Florida Statute, the Governor is required to provide his recommended budget one month prior to session. Florida's 2023 session begins Tuesday, March 7. One month would be no later than Tuesday, February 7. That doesn't mean he'll have commentary on the next phase of RCID. This topic and the budget are separate. But it is one possible timeframe we may hear something.
There are published deadlines for submitting bills for the session too - just look at the state house website. This is why I mentioned ‘deadlines’ in the first place rather than the start of the session itself.

LAKid53

Premium Member

Governor usually issues his recommended budget shortly after the first of the year. We were always scrambling to make requested revisions in October/November.

LAKid53

Premium Member
The next session of the legislature isn’t until march.

They aren not in a rush to announce things before they can actually be acted upon.

I doubt we see anything until closer to the session deadlines

Executive agencies had to get their budgets to the governor's office August/September. Then revisions may go on for a month or two. The governor's recommended budget is usually sent to the Legislature in January and publicly announced at that time.

JohnD

Executive agencies had to get their budgets to the governor's office August/September. Then revisions may go on for a month or two. The governor's recommended budget is usually sent to the Legislature in January and publicly announced at that time.
That's about right. The Governor has no later than one month prior to session to submit his recommended budget. Session always begins on the first Tuesday of the first Monday in March of odd years and January of even years. That's March 7 in 2023. So his recommended budget must be submitted no later than February 7.

Executive agencies submit their budgets by October 15 when Session begins in March and September 15 when Session begins in January.

LAKid53

Premium Member
That's about right. The Governor has no later than one month prior to session to submit his recommended budget. Session always begins on the first Tuesday of the first Monday in March of odd years and January of even years. That's March 7 in 2023. So his recommended budget must be submitted no later than February 7.

Executive agencies submit their budgets by October 15 when Session begins in March and September 15 when Session begins in January.

Been there, done that. Got pulled out of a FWS workshop in Orlando one July to rejigger our Bureau's budget. Thank goodness I had the laptop with me.

LAKid53

Premium Member

JohnD

It's that time of year. Committees are meeting to discuss upcoming legislation.

Wait, I thought the mockingbird was the state bird?

In the meantime, the property insurance crisis is reaching a disaster point.
1. Yep.
2. Correct. But a bill was filed to switch it to the Scrub Jay. Other contenders: flamingo and osprey
3. Special Session for Property Insurance is next week.

CntrlFlPete

The Legislature is already filing bills. Glad to know they're staying on top of the important issues such as the designation of the state bird.

Trust me, their top priority is a FL law that requires anyone in state government to resign their office if they decide to run for any Federal Government office. I seem to recall this whole Reedy Creek thing came about at a special session called for to address FL's home insurance woes (and that was prior to a couple of hurricanes that have certainly made matters worse).

EDIT to state 'federal government' as opposed to just 'government'

Last edited by a moderator:

LAKid53

Premium Member
Trust me, their top priority is a FL law that requires anyone in state government to resign their office if they decide to run for any Federal Government office. I seem to recall this whole Reedy Creek thing came about at a special session called for to address FL's home insurance woes (and that was prior to a couple of hurricanes that have certainly made matters worse).

EDIT to state 'federal government' as opposed to just 'government'

That is correct. At the last moment, the purpose of that special session was shifted. And I expect we'll see a return of the requirement to resign your current office if running for a federal office which term conflicts with your current office, back to the original wording of the Resign to Run law, which exempted those running for federal offices.

Last edited by a moderator:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom