News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

mikejs78

Premium Member
RCID is a special district. As of September 2014, there were 146 independent special districts within Florida that the governor controlled:

View attachment 642417

The governor taking control of an independent special district such as RCID does not break new ground.

IMO, the questions are:
  • How were these 146 existing independent special district boards formed?
  • Can the governor (with support from the legislature) legally take control over RCID without Disney's consent?
Keeping in mind that the Florida Supreme Court majority consists of conservative justices, and conservative justices tend to be textualists, what can we find in the Florida Constitution that will give us some idea of how they might rule on cases that come before them? Can we find passages that stop the governor (with legislative support) from doing what he's trying to do?
Paging @LAKid53

lazyboy97o

RCID is a special district. As of September 2014, there were 146 independent special districts within Florida that the governor controlled:

View attachment 642417

The governor taking control of an independent special district such as RCID does not break new ground.

IMO, the questions are:
  • How were these 146 existing independent special district boards formed?
  • Can the governor (with support from the legislature) legally take control over RCID without Disney's consent?
Keeping in mind that the Florida Supreme Court majority consists of conservative justices, and conservative justices tend to be textualists, what can we find in the Florida Constitution that will give us some idea of how they might rule on cases that come before them? Can we find passages that stop the governor (with legislative support) from doing what he's trying to do?
Appointed does not mean exclusively appointed by the governor.

lentesta

Premium Member

I think we have to first define how the governor will gain control of the RCID board, because some options might conflict with the Florida Constitution ("FLC").

Assume any time I say "governor" here, I also mean "with the legislature's help". For example, the legislature could repeal the RCID's "conflicts with future legislation" clause. (I know they haven't done this, and that the supremacy clause has survived a couple of legal challenges already, and that the existing dissolution law might not survive similar challenges.)

Option 1: The governor simply "packs" the RCID board through appointment, with no other changes to the RCID.

Option 2: The governor creates a new ISD, appoints the board, and forces a merger with RCID.

If I'm reading the FLC correctly, both options would create a conflict within the RCID board itself: Elected members would be subject to the FLC's "Ethics in Government" rules (Article II, Section 8, f(1) and 3(c)), but members appointed by the governor would not (because the language uses the "elected" qualifier).

It seems like ... there would be FLC issues with that.

Do any existing special districts have a setup where some members are elected and some are appointed?

Edit: Answered my own question. There's a website that lets you search Florida special districts by characteristic, including election methods and powers.

There are no special districts with bond-issuance and ad valorem authority whose board consists of both elected and appointed members in Florida.

Edit 2: Setting aside the bond powers, there's only one board (the Juvenile Welfare Board of Pinellas County) in the entire state with these two:
  • Ad valorem power
  • A board that consists of appointed AND elected officials
My bad legal take is that a SD with bond and ad valorem authority, having a mixed-seating board, creates an equal protection problem under the FLC. Some members are bound by Article II, Section 8, and others are not.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This is not "the will of the people" or "local taxpayers". This is a powerful corporation headquartered in California with annual revenue $67 billion.

The legislative, judicial, and executive branches all have long histories of regulating large companies when they think they have stepped over the line. In the past, corporations have been, to use your word, "crushed."

As I've repeatedly emphasized, I believe Disney's First Amendment rights were violated (based on Citizens United). Still, the mega-billion-dollar Disney conglomerate is not "the people" or "local taxpayers".

The current discussion focuses on ways the Florida legislature might have violated the Florida Constitution. You might recall an earlier discussion I instigated regarding the current makeup of the Florida Supreme Court. Thus, when you write:

A court can still rule that a law violates the intent of the FL constitution even if the action is not explicitly spelled out there. This is very common at all levels of government.​

When it comes to interpreting the Florida Constitution, this depends on the judicial philosophy of the Florida Supreme Court. If an explicit violation of the Florida Constitution cannot be found, will the Florida Supreme Court function as an activist court to rule that the Florida legislature has somehow passed "a law violates the intent of the FL constitution even if the action is not explicitly spelled out there"?

Currently, the Florida Supreme Court is dominated by conservative justices. Historically, conservative justices tend to be textualists.

With this in mind, we need to closely examine the text of the Florida Constitution to get a sense of how the Florida Supreme Court might rule on future cases.
This is all just political spin. TWDC is a corporation headquartered in CA. If they were headquartered in FL would that make a difference? Legally, I can’t see how but its a political talking point. How much money they make certainly has no bearing legally. A land owner is a landowner and Walt Disney World is part of Florida and they pay plenty of taxes. This is not the case of a corporation stepping over the line. They are causing no harm to the state or the local taxpayers. They provide hundreds of thousands of jobs directly and indirectly to the state.

This action also sets precedent and if the courts allow it then that leaves the door open for almost unlimited authority for the state government to seize control of local governments if and when they see fit and replace elected officials. The bills passed so far do not even mention RCID let alone TWDC. They are dissolving all special districts formed before a certain time. In order to pack the board of a new district formed the Governor would be taking unprecedented action and removing all control of a local government from the local taxpayers, including potentially 2 incorporated cities.

What if the governor decided to dissolve Orange County itself over something like Covid restrictions (remember the fights last year over masks) and then reformed the county but put his own officials in place instead of elected representatives. If this action against RCID is done in general terms it could set a precedent and could be used as the basis to allow the hypothetical scenario I suggested above to happen. I believe if that had happened last year and they attempted to use the loopholes described here a court would have shot him down. If this is allowed to continue and the Gov’s plan works then he’d have the legal precedent to supersede any elected local government, especially if the FL Supreme Court rules in favor of him. The court needs to take a longer term view and recognize the implications. I don’t think just because a judge is conservative and the Governor is a Republican that means they will automatically allow this. Most judges recognize the importance of an independent judiciary branch.

Brian

This is all just political spin. TWDC is a corporation headquartered in CA. If they were headquartered in FL would that make a difference? Legally, I can’t see how but its a political talking point. How much money they make certainly has no bearing legally. A land owner is a landowner and Walt Disney World is part of Florida and they pay plenty of taxes. This is not the case of a corporation stepping over the line. They are causing no harm to the state or the local taxpayers. They provide hundreds of thousands of jobs directly and indirectly to the state.

This action also sets precedent and if the courts allow it then that leaves the door open for almost unlimited authority for the state government to seize control of local governments if and when they see fit and replace elected officials. The bills passed so far do not even mention RCID let alone TWDC. They are dissolving all special districts formed before a certain time. In order to pack the board of a new district formed the Governor would be taking unprecedented action and removing all control of a local government from the local taxpayers, including potentially 2 incorporated cities.

What if the governor decided to dissolve Orange County itself over something like Covid restrictions (remember the fights last year over masks) and then reformed the county but put his own officials in place instead of elected representatives. If this action against RCID is done in general terms it could set a precedent and could be used as the basis to allow the hypothetical scenario I suggested above to happen. I believe if that had happened last year and they attempted to use the loopholes described here a court would have shot him down. If this is allowed to continue and the Gov’s plan works then he’d have the legal precedent to supersede any elected local government, especially if the FL Supreme Court rules in favor of him. The court needs to take a longer term view and recognize the implications. I don’t think just because a judge is conservative and the Governor is a Republican that means they will automatically allow this. Most judges recognize the importance of an independent judiciary branch.
Two things can be true at once - the governor could have legitimate concerns about powerful and influential companies who push values which he feels are not aligned with those of his constituents, while at the same time being out of line in trying to exert government power by taking over a special district in an attempt to improve the situation.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Two things can be true at once - the governor could have legitimate concerns about powerful and influential companies who push values which he feels are not aligned with those of his constituents, while at the same time being out of line in trying to exert government power by taking over a special district in an attempt to improve the situation.
I agree with this. Even though I don't agree with DeSantis on the legislation itself that triggered all of this, nor his concerns about Disney, it would have been perfectly within his rights for him to engage in a constant drum beat of criticism against Disney, organization against Disney in the private sector - organizing boycotts, etc.

Where he crossed the line is trying to use legislative action as retaliation for the opinion of a corporation.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don’t disagree. The Governor is absolutely allowed to oppose Disney and oppose their political point of view. That’s the basis of our democracy, we all have a right to an opinion, even elected officials. As I said many pages ago, an appropriate response would have been public opposition and it would have even been fine to call for a boycott of their products and services if he felt that was necessary and it was done in the capacity of a concerned citizen and not using state employee time or resources. What’s completely inappropriate is using the power of the government (entrusted to you by the people) to attack a political adversary.

flynnibus

Premium Member

And also his responsibility to understand or hold consul that understand the law and abide by it - not weld his party like a hammer to get something HE wants.

ParentsOf4

I think we have to first define how the governor will gain control of the RCID board, because some options might conflict with the Florida Constitution ("FLC").

Assume any time I say "governor" here, I also mean "with the legislature's help". For example, the legislature could repeal the RCID's "conflicts with future legislation" clause. (I know they haven't done this, and that the supremacy clause has survived a couple of legal challenges already, and that the existing dissolution law might not survive similar challenges.)

Option 1: The governor simply "packs" the RCID board through appointment, with no other changes to the RCID.

Option 2: The governor creates a new ISD, appoints the board, and forces a merger with RCID.

If I'm reading the FLC correctly, both options would create a conflict within the RCID board itself: Elected members would be subject to the FLC's "Ethics in Government" rules (Article II, Section 8, f(1) and 3(c)), but members appointed by the governor would not (because the language uses the "elected" qualifier).

It seems like ... there would be FLC issues with that.

Do any existing special districts have a setup where some members are elected and some are appointed?

Edit: Answered my own question. There's a website that lets you search Florida special districts by characteristic, including election methods and powers.

There are no special districts with bond-issuance and ad valorem authority whose board consists of both elected and appointed members in Florida.

Edit 2: Setting aside the bond powers, there's only one board (the Juvenile Welfare Board of Pinellas County) in the entire state with these two:
  • Ad valorem power
  • A board that consists of appointed AND elected officials
My bad legal take is that a SD with bond and ad valorem authority, having a mixed-seating board, creates an equal protection problem under the FLC. Some members are bound by Article II, Section 8, and others are not.
Regarding the two options you suggest:

The legislature/governor might create a new Independent Special Board pursuant to F.S.189.031 to replace RCID. This new ISD could very well include a board wholly appointed by the governor. Per the link you provided, Florida currently has dozens of ISDs with bond authority and boards appointed by the governor.

This new ISD would continue to exist within Orange and Osceola Counties, meaning those counties would collect taxes as they currently do.

In addition, the new ISD would inherit the bond debt of RCID along with the higher ad valorem taxes previously approved by the district's landowners. The question is, can this be done in such a way as to not violate the Contracts Clause?

I see three possible legal outcomes (if this makes its way to the court):
  • Courts rule that the law to dissolve RCID and/or the law to create its replacement do violate the Florida Constitution.
  • Courts rule that these laws do not violate the Florida Constitution. In this case, either:
    • Courts rule that these laws do violate the Contracts Clause.
    • Courts rule that these do not violate the Contracts Clause. In this case:
      • Disney wins this on First Amendment grounds. IMO, Disney has an ironclad case.
I keep returning to the same conclusion. Regardless of how we get there, RCID continues to exist.

Before this gets to the courts, Disney might be pursuing a more amiable settlement through back channels. This might never make it to court. Again, RCID will continue to exist.

mikejs78

Premium Member
In addition, the new ISD would inherit the bond debt of RCID along with the higher ad valorem taxes previously approved by the district's landowners.

I'm not sure this is a given. The ordinance for higher ad valorem taxes was voted on as part of an RCID ordinance.. If that district is dissolved, would that ordinance survive? I don't think it does. I think it may require a revote.

Even if it doesn't, I do think that creating a new district would require notice or a vote (as it would require a special act) and couldn't Disney just vote to remove the higher tax rate before the new district took over? In other words Disney could sabatoge the Governor's plan, even if the governor could legally take over the district.

Nubs70

The legislature/governor might create a new Independent Special Board pursuant to F.S.189.031 to replace RCID. This new ISD could very well include a board wholly appointed by the governor. Per the link you provided, Florida currently has dozens of ISDs with bond authority and boards appointed by the governor.

This new ISD would continue to exist within Orange and Osceola Counties, meaning those counties would collect taxes as they currently do.

In addition, the new ISD would inherit the bond debt of RCID along with the higher ad valorem taxes previously approved by the district's landowners. The question is, can this be done in such a way as to not violate the Contracts Clause?

• Courts rule that the law to dissolve RCID and/or the law to create its replacement do violate the Florida Constitution.
  • Courts rule that these laws do not violate the Florida Constitution. In this case, either:
    • Courts rule that these do not violate the Contracts Clause. In this case:
      • Disney wins this on First Amendment grounds. IMO, Disney has an ironclad case.
I keep returning to the same conclusion. Regardless of how we get there, RCID continues to exist.

Before this gets to the courts, Disney might be pursuing a more amiable settlement through back channels. This might never make it to court. Again, RCID will continue to exist.
RCID HoldCo?

lentesta

Premium Member
  • Courts rule that these laws do notviolate the Florida Constitution. In this case, either:
    • Courts rule that these do notviolate the Contracts Clause. In this case:

Agree on all counts. The more I look at what it'll take to dissolve or meaningfully change the RCID, the more convoluted and very, very specific the legislation becomes.

The more cycles of "pass law, law gets struck down, start over" the legislature and governor go through, the easier the 1A case becomes.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

• Courts rule that these laws do notviolate the Florida Constitution. In this case, either:
    • Courts rule that these do notviolate the Contracts Clause. In this case:

Digging in a little further, the majority of special districts with governor appointed boards do not have taxing authority. Of those with Governor appointed commissioners and tax authority the majority seem to be hospitals and medical centers and/or water treatment districts so non-profit businesses essential for the community. As an example, Halifax Hospital Medical Center, the board is appointed as below:

(1) The governing body of the district shall be a Board of Commissioners which shall consist of seven members, each of whom shall be residents of the district and appointed by the Governor. Except with respect to those appointees who shall be appointed to serve terms ending on the dates specified herein, each commissioner shall be appointed for a term of 4 years. The appointments which must be made with respect to the four commissioners whose terms ending in May of 1985 shall be made with two commissioners being appointed for terms ending May 23, 1986, and two commissioners being appointed for regular 4-year terms. With respect to the appointments which must be made for the three commissioners whose terms end in May 1987, two commissioners shall be appointed for regular 4-year terms and one commissioner shall be appointed for a term ending May 23, 1988.

This is a community hospital where the district covers mostly all of Volusia County that has both bond and Ad Valorum tax authority so the taxes are assessed to all of the land owners of Volusia County. The key to me is the bold sentence. The Governor appoints the board, but they must be residents of the district. So there is no issue with taxation without representation.

I checked a few others that have taxing authority and government appointed boards. All had the same clause requiring the appointed board members to be residents of the district Including Baker County Medical Center, Eastpoint Water and Sewer District, and Florida Inland Navigation District. I didn’t check them all so maybe there is an exception, but it seems to me that’s the standard practice which makes total sense. I do not think there’s an example of a special district where land owners pay taxes but the board is not selected from the citizens of the district. If someone finds an example where this is not the case post it here.

So the only way for the Governor to wrestle control from Disney would be to create a new district that extends to other land owners outside of RCID and then pick the board from those land owners but those people added would now owe additional taxes (in his own words, “more than what Disney pays today”). So good luck finding a landowner who wants to pay extra taxes just to be the Governor’s yes man. I do see this as a potential out for the Gov. He creates a new district covering the exact area of RCID and sets it up so the Governor will appoint the board from the citizens of the district and then appoints virtually the same board. This way he can claim Disney doesn’t control their own local government.

lentesta

Premium Member
So the only way for the Governor to wrestle control from Disney would be to create a new district that extends to other land owners outside of RCID and then pick the board from those land owners but those people added would now owe additional taxes (in his own words, “more than what Disney pays today”).

I was just writing @ParentsOf4 saying that what this whole thing really needs is an eminent domain land seizure. ;)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
As long as we are referencing state statutes, the legislature can write new statutes to alter those existing statutes using the infamous “notwithstanding”.

Legislatures change laws all the time. This is why we should focus the Florida Constitution to find ways it might be violated.

Therefore, when you quote:

(1) The governing body of the district shall be a Board of Commissioners which shall consist of seven members, each of whom shall be residents of the district and appointed by the Governor.

This prevents the governor from appointing his own board without the consent of the legislature. However, if the governor has that consent, then the governor and legislature are only bound by the state constitution (and federal law).

Remember, even through F.S. 189.072(2)(a) states:

In order for the Legislature to dissolve an active independent special district created and operating pursuant to a special act, the special act dissolving the active independent special district must be approved by a majority of the resident electors of the district or, for districts in which a majority of governing body members are elected by landowners, a majority of the landowners voting in the same manner by which the independent special district’s governing body is elected.​

The legislature navigated around this by simply including the following in the bill to terminate RCID:

Notwithstanding s. 189.072(2),​

We have to keep in mind that the Florida Supreme Court is composed of a majority of conservative justices, who are more likely to be textualists. Therefore, focusing on the actual text of the Florida Constitution (without reading something into it that’s not explicit) might give us a better idea of how they might rule on future cases.

I’m not saying this is the only way this will play out. I’m only suggesting that it’s more likely to play out this way.

I think you and I have reached the same conclusion (Disney's rights were violated) - it’s just a matter of how we get there.
Again, I do not think the “notwithstanding” wording is an automatic blank check to do what they want. As stated earlier just because the constitution doesn’t explicitly prevent an action doesn‘t make it automatically legal. Take this out of the context of a political debate and public feud. If the Governor decided to dissolve a special district that covers a community hospital and then created a new special district where he appointed whoever he wanted to run it, people from outside the district, and then publicly said he was going to raise the taxes on the taxpayers in that district and they would have no say how the hospital was a actually run and how the funds are spent, would the courts just allow that? If a landowner sued they could point to the fact that there are thousands of special districts and none are structured this way. There’s a great deal of precedent already there. If the only argument the Governor would have is a sentence that says “notwithstanding“ that’s a very difficult legal argument to win.

This is much bigger than this petty fight with Disney. The Governor was publicly angry that he didn’t have total control over local governments during the Covid pandemic. This is a basic power play disguised as a culture war crusade. If the courts allow the Governor and legislature to do whatever they want and supersede the power of local elected officials that‘s the first step towards taking total control.

lentesta

Premium Member
Again, I do not think the “notwithstanding” wording is an automatic blank check to do what they want. As stated earlier just because the constitution doesn’t explicitly prevent an action doesn‘t make it automatically legal.

My assumption here is that the governor and legislature will attempt to use "notwithstanding" as a blank check to do whatever they want. They'll put the onus on Disney to make the case that it violates the FL or US constitutions (FLC and USC). It costs Disney time and money, and requires an extensive PR campaign.

Put more bluntly: it's clear that "legal" is a secondary, maybe tertiary concern here. It's not stopping anyone from passing legislation. That's why the focus is on the FLC and USC - what's the backstop when two branches of government are colluding?

Not for nothing, but the governor also knows the direction that the FLSC and SCOTUS lean. I'm not exaggerating when I say that every lawyer I've spoken to - without exception - identified the same 3 SCOTUS justices as likely to find some argument that allows them to side with DeSantis, if it comes to that.

Of course, there are 3 justices who'd view DeSantis with skepticism too.

I think the thing that's needed to stop the courts is that the action take is so obviously unconstitutional that 2 more judges aren't willing to go along. In this case, I think Roberts is one of the swing votes, if that helps.

:

Last edited by a moderator:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
My assumption here is that the governor and legislature will attempt to use "notwithstanding" as a blank check to do whatever they want. They'll put the onus on Disney to make the case that it violates the FL or US constitutions (FLC and USC). It costs Disney time and money, and requires an extensive PR campaign.

Put more bluntly: it's clear that "legal" is a secondary, maybe tertiary concern here. It's not stopping anyone from passing legislation. That's why the focus is on the FLC and USC - what's the backstop when two branches of government are colluding?

Not for nothing, but the governor also knows the direction that the FLSC and SCOTUS lean. I'm not exaggerating when I say that every lawyer I've spoken to - without exception - identified the same 3 SCOTUS justices as likely to find some argument that allows them to side with DeSantis, if it comes to that.

Of course, there are 3 justices who'd view DeSantis with skepticism too.

I think the thing that's needed to stop the courts is that the action take is so obviously unconstitutional that 2 more judges aren't willing to go along. In this case, I think Roberts is one of the swing votes, if that helps.

:
I don’t know the specific backgrounds of the individual members of the FL Supreme Court, I know it’s skewed heavily conservative, but that doesn’t automatically mean they side with DeSantis. Many conservative judges would have a very difficult time overturning years of precedent in favor of obvious government overreach. There are literally thousands of special districts in FL and none are setup with both taxing authority and a board that is made up of members from outside the district exclusively selected by the governor. That kind of obvious government overreach sets a dangerous precedent that any judge would need to think long and hard on.

Chip Chipperson

I don’t know the specific backgrounds of the individual members of the FL Supreme Court, I know it’s skewed heavily conservative, but that doesn’t automatically mean they side with DeSantis. Many conservative judges would have a very difficult time overturning years of precedent in favor of obvious government overreach. There are literally thousands of special districts in FL and none are setup with both taxing authority and a board that is made up of members from outside the district exclusively selected by the governor. That kind of obvious government overreach sets a dangerous precedent that any judge would need to think long and hard on.

And it would create an obvious First Amendment case that could bypass the FL courts altogether. "You spoke out against our legislation so now we're taking away your right to vote for your District’s board - and we plan to use our newly-acquired control of that board to raise your taxes."

mikejs78

Premium Member
We have to keep in mind that the Florida Supreme Court is composed of a majority of conservative justices, who are more likely to be textualists. Therefore, focusing on the actual text of the Florida Constitution (without reading something into it that’s not explicit) might give us a better idea of how they might rule on future cases.

Again, I do not think the “notwithstanding” wording is an automatic blank check to do what they want.

Textualists, though, also don't like ambiguity, and tend to frown on blanket "notwithstanding" clauses - they would much prefer, for example, a specific callout to amend the text of the section in question, and will often defer to the more specific statute than the general notwithstanding clause. There's also the complication under FL law as to how laws need to be written, how each law is supposed to only deal with a specific thing, that complicate how a law can be constructed. Case in point, it's highly likely that the Dissolution law as written today wouldn't even hold up as applying to Reedy Creek under rules of statutory construction.

That said, I think @lentesta is right that they'll try to do this anyways, as the goal isn't necessarily to actually remove the district, but rather cause pain for Disney and score a political win with their base.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom