News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

mikejs78

Premium Member
In the interest of not losing more than RCID, including long running copyrights, will Disney update their culture policy similar to what Netflix released today? Specifically, wokesters take a hike?

I’m really interested in seeing the next quarterly results, which will cover more than just the first week of Disney’s very public soapboxing. Maybe I’m not remembering correctly, but it seems the current problems didn’t start until about a week before the last quarter ended.

Nope, they won't. Disney isn't hurting. The parks are full to the brim, and Dr Strange just opened as the 11th highest grossing domestic open of all time.

Disney will not lose Reedy Creek (legally, they can't).

They will lose copyright on steamboat Willie, that was a foregone conclusion before this whole mess. But as has been pointed out before, they own the trademark on Mickey so the copyright expiration will have limited impact. Any other copyright bills won't happen.

Vegas Disney Fan

I guess they will find out; if there is a sudden increase in property taxes…
I’m not sure a lot of people would even notice, I just googled it and the annual property tax rate in Orlando is .87%, with a median annual cost of just under $2000, if the rumored 25% increase happens most people would see their bill go up about $40 a month.

I don’t think that will happen but it’s not like New York or Chicago were the rates are already 2-3% and people already pay $5k-10k+ a year, a 25% increase there would mean an increase of $500-1000 a month and likely drive people out of their homes but $40 is manageable for the vast majority.

JoeCamel

I’m not sure a lot of people would even notice, I just googled it and the annual property tax rate in Orlando is .87%, with a median annual cost of just under $2000, if the rumored 25% increase happens most people would see their bill go up about $40 a month.

I don’t think that will happen but it’s not like New York or Chicago were the rates are already 2-3% and people already pay $5k-10k+ a year, a 25% increase there would mean an increase of $500-1000 a month and likely drive people out of their homes but $40 is manageable for the vast majority.
They all have the same costs to some degree. I moved out of Florida to the mid south and while my property taxes are much lower there are many more fees and a couple of services missing from what I got in FL. As you say Chicagoland pays 2 - 3 times the FL rate but FL makes most of it up in fees.
The insurance is the real problem though, mine dropped to half what I could get in FL and sometimes I couldn't get insurance at all. I went three years naked.
I agree most would not feel much pain from an increase but many would. This is quite an exercise speculating what would happen even though I think it has a less than slim chance of happening.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Florida even Central FL have diversified with aerospace and defense companies and jobs. A number are filled by highly educated professionals and experienced , moving to FL to work these well paid positions. It at least is a start.
Exactly. Disney cannot move WDW and hotel operators cannot move the Gulf of Mexico or the Atlantic Ocean. However, aerospace, defense and pharmaceutical companies can move anywhere. If the state continues to push an anti-business agenda where tax credits and economic incentives are revoked on a whim the bigger risk is not “losing Disney“ as an employer in the state but losing other companies in more economically diverse industries.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Nope, they won't. Disney isn't hurting. The parks are full to the brim, and Dr Strange just opened as the 11th highest grossing domestic open of all time.

Disney will not lose Reedy Creek (legally, they can't).

They will lose copyright on steamboat Willie, that was a foregone conclusion before this whole mess. But as has been pointed out before, they own the trademark on Mickey so the copyright expiration will have limited impact. Any other copyright bills won't happen.
I know the copyright stuff is probably off topic, but I will say this one thing on it, people really don’t think for themselves anymore. They just parrot inaccurate stuff they hear on social media or cable news. As you point out the trademark on Mickey goes on forever as long as the company is still using Mickey commercially. So when the copyright on Steamboat Willie runs out I can write a story or make a YouTube video with the black and white Steamboat Willie Mickey as a character in it (and only that version of Mickey) but I cannot legally sell a Steamboat Willie Mickey t-shirt or sell any product containing Mickey Mouse due to the trademark. The impact to Disney is not as dramatic as some would suggest. The winners in this are again the lawyers who will be issuing a large number of cease and desist orders for uneducated people who will be illegally selling the Mickey Mouse image because they heard the protection expired.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Florida even Central FL have diversified with aerospace and defense companies and jobs. A number are filled by highly educated professionals and experienced , moving to FL to work these well paid positions. It at least is a start.
Dude…do you live in Orlando? Have you ever? It’s a Tourist town. Because there are “some” other things…doesn’t make it not a tourist town.

Florida is not “high income”
Compare it to LA of Chicago all you want…but it doesn’t equate.

How about Boston? San Fran? DC?

maxairmike

The number I see is a little higher, at an average of .94% for Orange County. Although if you're buying new, I don't think I've seen property taxes coming in under $3500-4000/yr, but that's partly the result of CDDs and other ad-valorem lines and not always millage so the monthly increase would probably be about $50. Still, this should absolutely not fall on the county taxpayers, and the issues with MSTUs have already been hashed out. Hopefully this really does go nowhere,

Last edited by a moderator:

Lilofan

Dude…do you live in Orlando? Have you ever? It’s a Tourist town. Because there are “some” other things…doesn’t make it not a tourist town.

Florida is not “high income”
Compare it to LA of Chicago all you want…but it doesn’t equate.

How about Boston? San Fran? DC?
It is a tourist town but companies moving in with high paying roles of staff relocating to FL ( aerospace, defense, aviation ) doesn't make it a bad thing. At the very least small business will move in to cater to them and or current small business step up their game. These folks are used to certain tastes and services.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom