News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Lilofan

I would disagree with this, as the hotels and theme parks don’t want to do anything that could potentially drive away business. An increase hotel/ticket tax might not sit well with the general public, as they make their vacation plans.
I believe an increase in hotel tax is just another increase in a vacationers spending. Different times of the year the hotel room rates fluctuate, plane fares , etc ( off season , high season ) and with 12/25-31 sky high rates ). Vacationers are still going to spend , enjoy and at times complain. A number I know have been working from home, saving on costs , getting very nice salary increases including performance bonuses and can’t wait to spend and enjoy.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

I would disagree with this, as the hotels and theme parks don’t want to do anything that could potentially drive away business. An increase hotel/ticket tax might not sit well with the general public, as they make their vacation plans.
What percentage of the general public actually vote in Florida general elections, let alone partisan primaries? Contrast that to Florida homeowners that are extremely politically active.

It’s an idiotic strategy that will do long term damage to be sure, but short term politics does not make smart policy.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
What percentage of the general public actually vote in Florida general elections, let alone partisan primaries? Contrast that to Florida homeowners that are extremely politically active.

It’s an idiotic strategy that will do long term damage to be sure, but short term politics does not make smart policy.
And don’t forget that for local elections those political donations from the travel industry are much more likely to tilt the results than in a larger statewide or national election. People running at that level find it much more difficult to get grass roots donations and it’s much easier to swing an election if a candidate is flush with cash to spend. It doesn’t even matter that the districts are gerrymandered in favor of one party, candidates can be knocked out just as easy in a primary by someone from their own party.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It would be interesting to see if Reuters asked more interesting questions like, “Will you continue to support a company, no matter how beloved, who uses its full corporate power to very publicly overturn laws in your state?” “Do you agree that a huge corporation, beloved by many, should decide the topics your children are exposed to in elementary school?”

I wouldn’t put much stock in partisan polls. When was the last time any were even close to correct or even within 10 points?
Hasn’t Disney been using their political power to influence FL politics for over 50 years now? DeSantis didn’t seem to think it was a problem when he took $50K from them for his campaign and neither did the sponsors of this bill who almost all took money as well. Funny how corporations in politics is suddenly wrong but wasn’t when the checks were clearing.

lazyboy97o

Hasn’t Disney been using their political power to influence FL politics for over 50 years now? DeSantis didn’t seem to think it was a problem when he took $50K from them for his campaign and neither did the sponsors of this bill who almost all took money as well. Funny how corporations in politics is suddenly wrong but wasn’t when the checks were clearing.
The whole thing is a lie. It’s framed as Disney having some sort of control over state law. The whole issue is constantly mischaracterized as a matter of course because that’s the only way it is defensible.

Surferboy567

I still think the silence is strange. I saw that even the firefighters seem to not know what this means for them. Sure, their is plenty of time for them to figure out a solution.

DisneyDebRob

This about sums up 247 pages of discussion. All these scenarios are the result of self inflicted pain. It’s not too late to reverse course which I still think is the most likely scenario.
Its not to late as you say to reverse course but being most likely? No way will he reverse . I dont see how he can save face which seems to be very important to him and his followers. If theres a way out, like some have mentioned here , and he LOOKS like he has won to his people, then maybe. If he cant find that angle he will continue until he loses(IMO) then blane it on someone or others for it. Ive seen this movie many times before.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The whole thing is a lie. It’s framed as Disney having some sort of control over state law. The whole issue is constantly mischaracterized as a matter of course because that’s the only way it is defensible.
I don’t disagree. The original bill passed and is law now. This is being spun as we have to strip Disney of a “special tax benefit” to prevent them from overturning that original law. In reality Disney has no more ability to overturn a law as you or I do. it’s also no more or less likely that the original law is overturned now that RCID is being dissolved. In other words getting rid of RCID isn’t protecting children in any way.

freedining

Reuters is among the least biased media outlets in the world.
I think we all believed that 10 years ago. Many, including AP and Reuters, showed serious bias in their coverage of President Trump. The excuse used was that he's such a danger to democracy that we HAVE to cover him in a biased way. For some reason, many previously trusted media outlets followed this plan and are paying the price in lost trust now.

flynnibus

Premium Member
You’re talking about companies that raise their prices 1-2 times a year like clockwork… and you think a ‘nothing i can do about it’ bottom line tax line is gonna popup and deter guests verse those kinds of price hikes?

Polkadotdress

You’re talking about companies that raise their prices 1-2 times a year like clockwork… and you think a ‘nothing i can do about it’ bottom line tax line is gonna popup and deter guests verse those kinds of price hikes?
But it’s wouldn’t be just Disney hotels that would be hit by that tax. It would all of them in that county (Orange). The hotel board, or whatever group they collectively belong in, would be against it.

Sir_Cliff

Its not to late as you say to reverse course but being most likely? No way will he reverse . I dont see how he can save face which seems to be very important to him and his followers. If theres a way out, like some have mentioned here , and he LOOKS like he has won to his people, then maybe. If he cant find that angle he will continue until he loses(IMO) then blane it on someone or others for it. Ive seen this movie many times before.
I agree. I could see them basically making some relatively minor changes and reinstating the district so long as DeSantis and those supporting the bill can claim they took away Disney's 'special privileges', even if there's no truth to that spin. That's probably the best possible outcome. I could equally see them just sitting back and allowing all sorts of negative impacts to come about while blaming Disney for 'trying to make Florida taxpayers pay its debts', blaming counties controlled by the opposite party for the debacle, railing against the courts, etc. The sad thing is that latter strategy will probably work just fine and may actually be politically advantageous as it allows them to prolong the fight with Disney and keep the base energised.

The Grand Inquisitor

In an apparent stand off with The Walt Disney Company, some Florida legislators are meeting to discuss the possibility of removing the Reedy Creek Improvement District and stripping Disney of its semi self government status. This is as Disney says they are working to have a new law struck down passed by the Governor this week.

The 1967 act allowed Disney to create the Reedy Creek Improvement District, the self-described purpose being “to support and administer certain aspects of the economic development and tourism within District boundaries.” The creation of the district means Walt Disney World and other landowners pay for local essential services like water, electricity, fire protection, and emergency medical services instead of local taxpayers.
I'm all for it. Disney like all other corporations should pay their fair share of taxes. Reedy Creek should've been disbanded a long time ago. A company should not be able to have its own mini government in our country. Plus, Governor Desantis says they have a plan to make sure Disney pays for their debt and the cost of their fire department and other property taxes and not Orange and Osceola County. If Disney wants to embrace politics then deal with the blowback then.

lazyboy97o

I'm all for it. Disney like all other corporations should pay their fair share of taxes. Reedy Creek should've been disbanded a long time ago. A company should not be able to have its own mini government in our country. Plus, Governor Desantis says they have a plan to make sure Disney pays for their debt and the cost of their fire department and other property taxes and not Orange and Osceola County. If Disney wants to embrace politics then deal with the blowback then.
Tell us you haven’t read the thread without telling us you haven’t read the thread.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom