News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

freedining

Reuters is among the least biased media outlets in the world.
I think we all believed that 10 years ago. Many, including AP and Reuters, showed serious bias in their coverage of President Trump. The excuse used was that he's such a danger to democracy that we HAVE to cover him in a biased way. For some reason, many previously trusted media outlets followed this plan and are paying the price in lost trust now.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I would disagree with this, as the hotels and theme parks don’t want to do anything that could potentially drive away business. An increase hotel/ticket tax might not sit well with the general public, as they make their vacation plans.
You’re talking about companies that raise their prices 1-2 times a year like clockwork… and you think a ‘nothing i can do about it’ bottom line tax line is gonna popup and deter guests verse those kinds of price hikes?

Polkadotdress

You’re talking about companies that raise their prices 1-2 times a year like clockwork… and you think a ‘nothing i can do about it’ bottom line tax line is gonna popup and deter guests verse those kinds of price hikes?
But it’s wouldn’t be just Disney hotels that would be hit by that tax. It would all of them in that county (Orange). The hotel board, or whatever group they collectively belong in, would be against it.

Sir_Cliff

Its not to late as you say to reverse course but being most likely? No way will he reverse . I dont see how he can save face which seems to be very important to him and his followers. If theres a way out, like some have mentioned here , and he LOOKS like he has won to his people, then maybe. If he cant find that angle he will continue until he loses(IMO) then blane it on someone or others for it. Ive seen this movie many times before.
I agree. I could see them basically making some relatively minor changes and reinstating the district so long as DeSantis and those supporting the bill can claim they took away Disney's 'special privileges', even if there's no truth to that spin. That's probably the best possible outcome. I could equally see them just sitting back and allowing all sorts of negative impacts to come about while blaming Disney for 'trying to make Florida taxpayers pay its debts', blaming counties controlled by the opposite party for the debacle, railing against the courts, etc. The sad thing is that latter strategy will probably work just fine and may actually be politically advantageous as it allows them to prolong the fight with Disney and keep the base energised.

The Grand Inquisitor

In an apparent stand off with The Walt Disney Company, some Florida legislators are meeting to discuss the possibility of removing the Reedy Creek Improvement District and stripping Disney of its semi self government status. This is as Disney says they are working to have a new law struck down passed by the Governor this week.

The 1967 act allowed Disney to create the Reedy Creek Improvement District, the self-described purpose being “to support and administer certain aspects of the economic development and tourism within District boundaries.” The creation of the district means Walt Disney World and other landowners pay for local essential services like water, electricity, fire protection, and emergency medical services instead of local taxpayers.
I'm all for it. Disney like all other corporations should pay their fair share of taxes. Reedy Creek should've been disbanded a long time ago. A company should not be able to have its own mini government in our country. Plus, Governor Desantis says they have a plan to make sure Disney pays for their debt and the cost of their fire department and other property taxes and not Orange and Osceola County. If Disney wants to embrace politics then deal with the blowback then.

lazyboy97o

I'm all for it. Disney like all other corporations should pay their fair share of taxes. Reedy Creek should've been disbanded a long time ago. A company should not be able to have its own mini government in our country. Plus, Governor Desantis says they have a plan to make sure Disney pays for their debt and the cost of their fire department and other property taxes and not Orange and Osceola County. If Disney wants to embrace politics then deal with the blowback then.
Tell us you haven’t read the thread without telling us you haven’t read the thread.

UNCgolf

Sorry I don't have the time to read 248 pages of this thread between 2 jobs and school. Just wanted to state my opinion. If you don't like it deal with it.

The problem is almost everything you said is factually incorrect.

Disney already pays their fair share (if not more than their fair share) and this move is more likely to reduce their tax bill than increase it.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Ok cool I guess you like companies not paying their taxes. Cool have a nice day my dude.
What taxes do they not pay? I’m interested to hear what you think. I know you haven’t read the thread, but would it surprise you to know that Disney pays the same real estate taxes to Orange and Osceola counties as any other taxpayer including competitors like Universal and Sea World? Would it surprise you to know that the taxes Disney pays to RCID are in addition to those taxes so dissolving the district doesn’t change the amount of taxes paid to the counties? I hear what you are saying and you are repeating what the Governor has stated publicly that Disney doesn‘t pay their fair share and he has a plan. If you are actually interested I could summarize what’s already been discussed.

Last edited:

donsullivan

Premium Member
I don't know where people get this impression that Disney doesn't pay taxes as a result of Reedy Creek. They still pay full and normal property taxes to Orange and Osceola Counties just like all of the rest of us who own property in the county. They still pay state and local sales tax, just like everyone else. They still pay resort taxes just like every other resort and hotel in the region. They still pay all the same payroll taxes as everyone else in the state. They don't get traditional services like roads, sewer, water, fire, emergency response, etc from either of those counties and they pay those counties for police support on their property.

Then in addition to all of that, they pay an additional ~$160 million dollars every year to support Reedy Creek providing all those services instead of the adjacent counties.

People need to let go of this 'talking point' that Disney isn't paying taxes as a result of Reedy Creek. One of the reasons RCID was created is so the adjacent counties did not get burdened with all of the costs from their development within the district.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom