News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Chip Chipperson

1. They will simply create a new complaint special district to replace RCID; a district similar to RCID, but a modern one, compliant to the Florida constitution like all the current special districts; Disney giving up some power.
  2. Even if DCID is dissolved and there is no replacement, Disney is responsible to pay the bonds not taxpayers outside the physical borders of RCID.

I do not care who replies to this post, I am not listening to you, LA, LA, LA, I CAN'T HEAR YOU, LA, LA, LA :cool:

1. What power would/should Disney/RCID give up and why?

2. Businesses cannot be legally responsible for municipal debt.

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
I have noticed that Uni likes to be a bit of a smart *** when it comes to Disney on Twitter, but, unless I've missed something, they've stayed quiet since all of this went down. It's almost like things suddenly got serious.
I’ve noticed that too, it’s almost like they don’t want people to notice they also donate to a lot of these politicians

Disstevefan1

Hey gang, I just thought of something cool. RCID will not be dissolved till July 1, 2023. That gives is over a year to argue meaninglessly, go off on countless tangents with a goal to fill more pages than the Coronavirus and Walt Disney World thread.

Ok, ok, I know we can never eclipse that page count since that thread will last forever since COVID with its variants will be with us forever, BUT I bet we can hit at least 3K pages. Who’s with me?
1651280791304.png

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

There would be no legal way for Disney to be responsible for paying the bonds directly. They either stay with RCID, possibly transfer to a newly created district or possibly they transfer to the counties. Dissolving a municipality cannot result in a single taxpayer having the burden of the municipality’s debt.
Excuse me but I prefer to believe my uninformed unconfirmed information thank you.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Excuse me but I prefer to believe my uninformed unconfirmed information thank you.
That’s the best way to always be right👍😜

At the end of all of this it seems highly unlikely to me that it will be tolerated that a bunch of Orange and Osceola County taxpayers end up footing the bill for municipal bonds used to pay for stuff at Disney World. It’s also highly unlikely that Disney just agrees to pay off the bonds (there’s no legal way to make them do it) and may not even be possible as some of the bonds have a clause that prohibits early redemption. The only viable solution I can see is to allow RCID to continue and/or be replaced with a similar district. Disney and the state or local counties would need to agree, but that’s a win/win for everyone.

Thelazer

Once RCID goes away, isn't Orlando / Florida free to then spend the hotel tax money on ANYTHING they like, instead of the current agreement that says it must be spent on advertising? Could this tax revenue be redirected to pay the bonds? Would there STILL be leftover funds to improve orange county schools etc?

Old link from the Slantial..
(Which BTW, seems to indicate to me how "unfair" the Slantial thought this whole RCID guise was...was in 2019... but in 2021, MY GOD they have changed there viewpoint eh?..)

peter11435

Once RCID goes away, isn't Orlando / Florida free to then spend the hotel tax money on ANYTHING they like, instead of the current agreement that says it must be spent on advertising? Could this tax revenue be redirected to pay the bonds? Would there STILL be leftover funds to improve orange county schools etc?

(Which BTW, seems to indicate to me how "unfair" the Slantial thought this whole RCID guise was...was in 2019... but in 2021, MY GOD they have changed there viewpoint eh?..)

I don’t believe RCID’s existence had anything to do with dictating how those funds were spent. Whatever agreements and political power existed that contributed to that arrangement is separate from the Reedy Creek Act

Last edited:

Sir_Cliff

I’ve noticed that too, it’s almost like they don’t want people to notice they also donate to a lot of these politicians
It surprises me no-one has brought this up. Why do other companies get such a free pass? It seems the media could also do some more digging on the policies other big entertainment companies are funding in Florida.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Haha yeah, good luck getting that to fly. Tourism is still the number 1 industry in the state and travel and tourism companies donate a whole lot of money to local and state politicians. Don’t bite the hand that feeds you. No way will these politicians agree to do that.

In theory that could happen, but imagine being Comcast/Universal or some other player in the industry and the government tells you that in order to pay for our political stunt we are going to divert hotel tax dollars that always went to help your industry. Again, it’s the top industry so it’s critical to the state economy. Not a great idea to pull back, this great economy won’t last forever and even now FL has to continue to fight for tourist dollars. Lots of options for places for people to spend their money.

mikejs78

Premium Member

Did you read the article?
* It heavily referenced both Universal and Disney
* That bill has nothing to do with Reedy Creek. It's a law that says what hotel taxes can be used for.
* The article didn't mention Reedy Creek at all, nor did it advocate against Reedy Creek. Instead, it criticized the heavy lobbying influence that both Disney and Uni have, which is a completely separate issue and has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Reedy Creek.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don’t believe RCID’s existence had anything to with dictating how those funds were spent. Whatever agreements and political power existed that contributed to that arrangement is separate from the Reedy Creek Act
It doesn’t. I think he was just saying that the hotel tax money could in theory be used to pay for the bonds once RCID is dissolved if they went to Orange County. It’s not the best plan, but better than a 25% tax increase for actual taxpayers.

mikejs78

Premium Member
It doesn’t. I think he was just saying that the hotel tax money could in theory be used to pay for the bonds once RCID is dissolved if they went to Orange County. It’s not the best plan, but better than a 25% tax increase for actual taxpayers.
So that means Uni would also be paying for Reedy Creek's debt.

But the legislature would have to pass that first, and it would mean angering Uni, Sea World, etc. Not just Disney.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So that means Uni would also be paying for Reedy Creek's debt.

But the legislature would have to pass that first, and it would mean angering Uni, Sea World, etc. Not just Disney.
Not Uni directly. The hotel tax is paid by all the tourists staying in the hotels. It’s not that the other companies would be paying RCID debt it’s more that the money that usually goes towards general tourism promotions would be wasted on punishing Disney. It would hurt tourism overall, including Disney, but it’s a huge price to pay for a petty grudge.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The problem with these kinds of polls is that when you ask something in the abstract people say one thing, but when you poll on a specific issue people say something completely different.
1000%

“Do you think Disney should be able to set their own government rules in Florida?”

“Do you think it’s right for Florida to rescind a district that Disney occupies, passed by law that was set up prior to the construction of wdw and who’s dissolution could transfer hundreds of millions of infrastructure debt onto the neighboring counties to pay off?”

I just asked the “same question”…it just depends on who’s paying me to ask the question.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom