News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Fitch Ratings issues a warning to FL that financial standing could be harmed.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article260873762.html

I'm sure it's just a matter of time before Moody's and S&P issue similar statements. This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone - yet somehow I'm sure that none of the people voting for or signing the bill saw it coming.
I think the people at RCID should be talking with the Fitch Ratings and others about tanking the Florida rating as well. You don't downgrade the states largest employer and largest taxpayer without repercussions to the state as well. If it gets downgraded, you'd see the bill reversed quickly if the idiots there realized that they just killed their state.

TalkingHead

A flock of legal eagles is involved in working through the RCID situation to achieve a resolution. Exciting on T.V. or movies but actually boring, time consuming and minutely detailed. The public TWDC image is now tarnished with the senior management team's continued misjudgments and decisions a new team is necessitated to replace the existing team to show a cleanup and movement to again becoming the gold standard in entertainment. As for the parks an adjustment to a reasonable pricing model and return to providing a unique guest experience and not being like everyone else is also needed. Right now, the speculation is interesting to read about, but it will be a wait before actual results emerge from any legal actions.
Did you even read what I wrote? I said legal responses to RCID legislation are not the same as public responses to the political attacks on the company’s image. The latter is what TWDC is mismanaging. That has nothing to do with park pricing, etc. The bigger and far more significant story here is how the political discourse is tarnishing the company’s brand. TWDC seems to think if it’s ignored it’ll go away. If anything, the last five years should tell us bad dishonest things don’t just go away when you ignore them.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think the people at RCID should be talking with the Fitch Ratings and others about tanking the Florida rating as well. You don't downgrade the states largest employer and largest taxpayer without repercussions to the state as well. If it gets downgraded, you'd see the bill reversed quickly if the idiots there realized that they just killed their state.
“Tank to profit” has been employed more and more in the US…especially in the 21st century

lazyboy97o

The issue is not because of who issued the bonds, but how the state is handling them. The concern is that the state is reneging on obligations and there are no guardrails. If they can change how the Reedy Creek bonds are secured and financed after they have been issued then they could do the same to other bonds and obligations.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The issue is not because of who issued the bonds, but how the state is handling them. The concern is that the state is reneging on obligations and there are no guardrails. If they can change how the Reedy Creek bonds are secured and financed after they have been issued then they could do the same to other bonds and obligations.
This to me is the essence of why it will be kicked out of court…and the anti-business stink of it

Lilofan

Roads and parking garages and electric lines and sewers don’t generally generate income. In a pure municipal setting if the government decides a new parking garage is needed for something like a train station they build it, pay for it with bonds and then charge a parking fee to cover the debt payments. This allows the garage to be built without raising taxes on the taxpayers many of whom will never use the garage and puts the cost on the actual users of the garage. Because you can’t reach out to people who may use your garage and ask for $1,000 each up front to pay for construction (unless you own an NFL team and sell seat licenses) the way these projects get funded is through municipal bonds and slow payments for use over time that cover debt payments and future maintenance. In the case of the DS garages they chose to not charge for parking and make the taxpayers foot the bill. That would be problematic if Disney wasn’t the only taxpayer….but they are so nobody other than Disney is “harmed” but they wanted the garage in the first place so win/win.
I hope it doesn’t jinx the Disney Springs free parking garage. Chapek hasn’t started charging guests to park there yet ….

UNCgolf

I see a lot of people saying they can repeal this provision and that. Can they actually legislate retrospectively? I didn't think that was legal.

Ex post facto laws are an explicit violation of the US Constitution. They're probably not allowed in the Florida constitution either, but it wouldn't matter because the US Constitution specifically doesn't allow states to pass them either.

They're generally related to criminal conduct, though.

lazyboy97o

Ex post facto laws are an explicit violation of the US Constitution. They're probably not allowed in the Florida constitution either, but it wouldn't matter because the US Constitution specifically doesn't allow states to pass them either.

They're generally related to criminal conduct, though.
I still don’t understand how Anaheim was able to retroactively change their luxury hotel tax incentive.

mmascari

I don't see a way out for DeSantis at this point or even some face saving measure. His choices are to basically repeal the dissolution, or tank the Florida economy.
In the next special session, reverse what was passed in the last special session so it's back to the prior condition.

Then go out an publicly claim a victory and say whatever they want. Just call it a "win" again and again and again and that they showed Disney.

It doesn't matter if those two things agree or not.

Disney Glimpses

In the next special session, reverse what was passed in the last special session so it's back to the prior condition.

Then go out an publicly claim a victory and say whatever they want. Just call it a "win" again and again and again and that they showed Disney.

It doesn't matter if those two things agree or not.
I think they need to establish a new District with even the smallest changes to call it a win. If they revert, Disney will clearly have won.

lazyboy97o

I think they need to establish a new District with even the smallest changes to call it a win. If they revert, Disney will clearly have won.
I still think a new District could violate the state’s pledge since it is for the specific district. It doesn’t say the District and it’s successors.

While the rhetoric is largely detached from actuality, there was the small bit of awareness that pretense was necessary. Other districts were effected to give cover for the open retaliation. Any fix related to Reedy Creek is now a special deal for Disney. It’s the exact opposite of the claims.

Chip Chipperson

I hope it doesn’t jinx the Disney Springs free parking garage. Chapek hasn’t started charging guests to park there yet ….

Well, some comforting information is that since the bonds are Ad Valorem tax bonds rather than Revenue bonds, they can't change the source of repayment to parking revenues. It doesn't mean they can't charge a parking fee (or won't in the future), just that the bonds won't be the reason.

Willmark

Generally speaking, politicians don’t like to actually do something, far better to promise something or “fight” something (whatever something is) and claim the following:

1. “I tried, but the other side stopped me!”
2. “We came to a mutually beneficial solution.”
3. Insert reason here.

Lastly (as I think it’s been mentioned a random thought): Disney just can’t up and move to Georgia for instance. I wonder how much that factors that Disney just can’t relocate into this spectacle.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom