News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

peter11435

You have every right to be upset and to work to elect different representatives who will pass different laws... if you live in Florida. If you don’t live in Florida, what does losing RCID really do to you? Beyond signage as you drive the tesla down I4, why do you care?

If you’re concerned as a shareholder, why would you want Disney doing many things it’s doing now, including attacking the elected representatives in a state so important to the bottom line? Does losing RCID bring value to the company?

If you’re taking a righteous moral stand against tyranny, as I’ve seen it described, what makes your morality superior to millions of citizens of Florida and their representatives?
Well for starters as Americans we should be concerned about the loss of RCID because of how and why it was accomplished and the implications for future government actions. Ignoring the constitution should not be celebrated or accepted.

As Floridians we should be concerned about the financial implications for our communities and taxpayers. We should also be concerned about the message it sends to others interested in investing in our state. And the long term consequences of our government harming and publicly vilifying an economic engine in this state.

As Disney fans (as I assume most on this board are) we should be concerned about what the future holds and how the future guest experience might be altered. It could have significant impacts. Not only in levels of service and upkeep but also visual intrusions and reduced investment.

Also Disney never attacked any elected representatives. They attacked the legislation. They attacked the bill itself. That’s an important distinction.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is a brilliant reply taking the issue from many angles. Parents have every right to say they don't want their kids learning certain topics. The same as they have ever right to say they DO want their kids learning certain things. Don't like it? Don't move to that state. It's not tyranny, it's the Democratic process working as intended.
The first instances of “violations” of that law that started this are NOT gonna go the way I think you may figure they well?

It will end causing grief/discrimination. And that is probably the point - for quick political score - and if that is all this way?…Disney had every obligation to oppose it ( even if mishandled)

Since when in the hell are we ok giving into bullies? When did that start?

MandaM

You have every right to be upset and to work to elect different representatives who will pass different laws... if you live in Florida. If you don’t live in Florida, what does losing RCID really do to you? Beyond signage as you drive the tesla down I4, why do you care?

If you’re concerned as a shareholder, why would you want Disney doing many things it’s doing now, including attacking the elected representatives in a state so important to the bottom line? Does losing RCID bring value to the company?

If you’re taking a righteous moral stand against tyranny, as I’ve seen it described, what makes your morality superior to millions of citizens of Florida and their representatives?
Tyranny is the government punishing a company because it spoke out against a bill. That violates the First Amendment. It’s what happens in China or Russia, but is utterly un-American.

Tyranny is not a company exercising their First Amendment right to political speech or donating to organizations who work to encourage policies it favors. You can’t be for free speech only when it benefits your side.

Dan Deesnee

Weren’t you suggesting the problem this law was seeking to fix was “non-existent”?

To Fox News viewers Disney is becoming synonymous with “groomers.” I feel that association and characterization is unfair and detestable, but that impression is settling in amongst a certain cohort.

Regardless of where you stand on the bill itself, Disney can underestimate the size of that "cohort" to their own detriment. It's likely in the tens of millions at this point.

Thus, Chapek must go even if he's just the sacrificial lamb.

lazyboy97o

If you don’t live in Florida, what does losing RCID really do to you? Beyond signage as you drive the tesla down I4, why do you care?
Why are you so obsessed with the road signs?

Are you really taking the position that it’s okay to violate someone’s free speech so long as you can get enough people to agree to it?

Dan Deesnee

The first instances of “violations” of that law that started this are NOT gonna go the way I think you may figure they well?

It will end causing grief/discrimination. And that is probably the point - for quick political score - and if that is all this way?…Disney had every obligation to oppose it ( even if mishandled)

Since when in the hell are we ok giving into bullies? When did that start?

Is it being a bully to force everyone to wear a mask? That term is incredibly subjective and can thus be thrown around by everyone on both sides of this issue. Meaning, the point you tried to make can be made by people on the exact opposite side.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I meant to come back to this earlier. Beyond the issue of district property and assets (including many things that are integral to the guest experience and interwoven into guest areas) potentially transferring to the county. The district as it exists today also shields Disney from eminent domain actions. The protection disappears with the district.
Well, that applies only when it needs to apply. I suppose the next question is, how much land there does TWDC still own?

I doubt it's really a concern, but, you bring up a good point.

freedining

Why are you so obsessed with the road signs?

Are you really taking the position that it’s okay to violate someone’s free speech so long as you can get enough people to agree to it?
I guess I just like signs. Seriously, doesn't losing RCID make anyone else wonder about this very visible part of WDW? I can't make myself care about permitting. Wish I could, then I could move on.

MandaM

Weren’t you suggesting the problem this law was seeking to fix was “non-existent”?

To Fox News viewers Disney is becoming synonymous with “groomers.” I feel that association and characterization is unfair and detestable, but that impression is settling in amongst a certain cohort.
You can thank DeSantis for all the Fox viewers thinking Disney is grooming kids. It was his spokeswoman who said that the education bill stopped grooming. Which is not only a total lie but deeply homophobic/transphobic. So now all the low-information voters who swallow up everything they’re told believe that because Disney opposes the bill, they’re for grooming kids.

It’s ironic that the “pro-business” party is DELIBERATELY ruining the reputation of one of the most important companies in the state.

lazyboy97o

I hear your point. But, the reason it comes back to money isn't because people are inherently greedy and can't understand broader concepts.

It's more that benefit needs to be translated to money as that is how value is conferred and how it is measured.

This is why judgements involve relief that often is in terms of monetary value.
Right, but how we value things is also heavily based on our experiences. Someone posted some Reedy Creek Improvement District Board of Supervisor Meeting Minutes earlier in the thread. They’re boring. Reedy Creek Improvement District contains the largest, most famous, single site entertainment complex in the world and it’s all about the really boring stuff we don’t tend to think about in our day-to-day lives and especially not on vacation. It’s stuff we don’t really value so it’s hard to relate to why someone else would place such a high value on it.

GimpYancIent

You can thank DeSantis for all the Fox viewers thinking Disney is grooming kids. It was his spokeswoman who said that the education bill stopped grooming. Which is not only a total lie but deeply ****/transphobic. So now all the low-information voters who swallow up everything they’re told believe that because Disney opposes the bill, they’re for grooming kids.

It’s ironic that the “pro-business” party is DELIBERATELY ruining the reputation of one of the most important companies in the state.
:rolleyes:

lazyboy97o

I guess I just like signs. Seriously, doesn't losing RCID make anyone else wonder about this very visible part of WDW? I can't make myself care about permitting. Wish I could, then I could move on.
Universal Orlando Resort North Canpus has unique signs.

Now how about answering the big question? Is it okay for the government to suppress dissent if enough people say it is okay?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom