News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

JoeCamel

In the court of public opinion Disney stood up in opposition to a bill known as the don't say gay bill. The vast majority of people in the country don’t know what’s in the actual bill and I’d say the majority don’t even actually know that’s not the real name of the bill, but the nickname certainly seems pretty awful. I don’t live in FL but I have to say the majority of casual conversations I have heard about the bill around my area center around people saying “what the heck is going on down in FL”. No way Disney fires their CEO over this. That would be a PR nightmare. Chapek may not last as CEO but they certainly won’t fire him over this.
No need to fire him and generate more turmoil

lazyboy97o

Your argument seems to be that this makes life harder for TWDC? than why the hell did they lobby so hard for it in the 70s?
From the very beginning, the deal was that in exchange for setting up a stricter regulatory environment Disney would get control.

The problem is that we evaluate and relate to situations based on our own experiences. If we were told we could get a special deal related to our property and/or business the first thing we would all think of is money. We would all want to pay less. 99.9% of the special deals states make with companies is related to money. None of us would ask for greater control over our sewage service and even offer to pay more to get it. The people posting on this site live in well developed areas, stuff like sewage service and water is largely something we tend not to think about unless it breaks. We pay a bill we’d probably like to be cheaper, and most of the time it is just there for our use. It’s not that Disney doesn’t derive benefits from the Reedy Creek Improvement District, they’re just not the things we would really consider to be benefits for ourselves and so it just doesn’t makes sense to a lot of people.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I’m thinking of polls that show 1 in 3 Americans can’t name their own governor and so on. It seems to me that in that group, they won’t even know what the specific controversy was, just that they kept seeing Disney in the news for “something or other that was probably bad.”
Here's the thing. A large percentage of people who can vote, do not vote. That trend has been shifting recently, but...

Mass opinion polling doesn't matter all that much, the value being limited to a temperature check.

It's those who vote. So, you first target the groups that have turnout numbers.

If you are curious what those numbers look like, here you go.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I’m thinking of polls that show 1 in 3 Americans can’t name their own governor and so on. It seems to me that in that group, they won’t even know what the specific controversy was, just that they kept seeing Disney in the news for “something or other that was probably bad.”
I agree in general. The majority of people outside of FL have no idea who DeSantis is and they don’t really care. People like going to FL to visit theme parks and beaches but most aren't planning to move there and a lot of them don’t care about their own local politics let alone FL politics. Because this has made national news the majority of headlines around the country are the FL government is stripping Disney of special tax privileges over their opposition to the don’t say gay bill. I don’t think Disney is being painted in a negative light by the national media or media outside of FL over it.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
From the very beginning, the deal was that in exchange for setting up a stricter regulatory environment Disney would get control.

The problem is that we evaluate and relate to situations based on our own experiences. If we were told we could get a special deal related to our property and/or business the first thing we would all think of is money. We would all want to pay less. 99.9% of the special deals states make with companies is related to money. None of us would ask for greater control over our sewage service and even offer to pay more to get it. The people posting on this site live in well developed areas, stuff like sewage service and water is largely something we tend not to think about unless it breaks. We pay a bill we’d probably like to be cheaper, and most of the time it is just there for our use. It’s not that Disney doesn’t derive benefits from the Reedy Creek Improvement District, they’re just not the things we would really consider to be benefits for ourselves and so it just doesn’t makes sense to a lot of people.
I hear your point. But, the reason it comes back to money isn't because people are inherently greedy and can't understand broader concepts.

It's more that benefit needs to be translated to money as that is how value is conferred and how it is measured.

This is why judgements involve relief that often is in terms of monetary value.

Ayla

Not sure I understand your argument here. If you're stating that the political right has changed then yes, I'd agree. Just as a reminder, it was the Democrats who fought a civil war to try to maintain slavery.

Your position that I originally replied to was that the political right are the authoritarian ideologues, and, presumably, worse than the political left. I offered several recent examples of how the left, which controls the levers of power in this country, has abused those powers in the name of public health. In a constitutional republic, one does not simply get to override the rule of law because "people are dying." And if the current laws (including the constitution) do not serve the public health needs, it is up to the people's democratically elected representatives to change them. I've noticed that there has been no serious proposal from anyone in the Democrat party on the federal level to reform these public health-related laws to allow the executive branch the authority they unlawfully used this time around. Have you considered why that is?

As I stated earlier in response to another member, I would argue that the executive overreaches and impositions on the lives of ordinary Americans by the Democrat party as it relates to the pandemic are worse and far more consequential than a petty political argument between a governor and one of the largest and most powerful companies on earth. Both are bad, in my opinion, but one is decidedly worse than the other, and that's where you and I seem to disagree.

If you'd like to discuss this further, I'd be glad to do so via PM. I am catching myself drifting too far off topic from RCID and want to try to be respectful towards the wishes of our hosts.
This may have been corrected in a previous post, and if it was, I apologize. I can't let it pass without correcting it. The Democratic party of 1861 is today's Republican party.

freedining

You have every right to be upset and to work to elect different representatives who will pass different laws... if you live in Florida. If you don’t live in Florida, what does losing RCID really do to you? Beyond signage as you drive the tesla down I4, why do you care?

If you’re concerned as a shareholder, why would you want Disney doing many things it’s doing now, including attacking the elected representatives in a state so important to the bottom line? Does losing RCID bring value to the company?

If you’re taking a righteous moral stand against tyranny, as I’ve seen it described, what makes your morality superior to millions of citizens of Florida and their representatives?

peter11435

I'm not aware of any provision of the RCID dissolution bill that takes or sells Disney's land.
The district is not Disney. Disney does not own RCID's property; RCID does.
I meant to come back to this earlier. Beyond the issue of district property and assets (including many things that are integral to the guest experience and interwoven into guest areas) potentially transferring to the county. The district as it exists today also shields Disney from eminent domain actions. The protection disappears with the district.

Dan Deesnee

Anyone that thinks this will blow over and Disney won't suffer any brand damage isn't grasping the scope of this situation. It's not just this bill.

Anecdotal, sure, but being the Disney Nuts in our very large (both geographically and number of people) social circle, we have had countless people ask us if we'll ever go to Disney again. Agree with their positions, or not, the brand damage has happened and appears to be extensive.

Disney is playing political games that are now having political consequences. I wish them the best of luck. Personally Chapek needs to be removed. Not just because of this recent controversy, but his endless cutting away at what makes WDW a magical experience.

EPCOT-O.G.

The State of Florida should claim a huge acreage through eminent domain to build sustainable affordable housing within RCID, thereby fulfilling the district’s original intent of being an experimental, prototype city of tomorrow.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Consider this: does the red hat society this was meant for (cause they’re worth bigtime advertising dollars And not much more…) really the ones you have to be worried about turning on Disney parks? Some - yes…but proportionally…??

Dan Deesnee

You have every right to be upset and to work to elect different representatives who will pass different laws... if you live in Florida. If you don’t live in Florida, what does losing RCID really do to you? Beyond signage as you drive the tesla down I4, why do you care?

If you’re concerned as a shareholder, why would you want Disney doing many things it’s doing now, including attacking the elected representatives in a state so important to the bottom line? Does losing RCID bring value to the company?

If you’re taking a righteous moral stand against tyranny, as I’ve seen it described, what makes your morality superior to millions of citizens of Florida and their representatives?

This is a brilliant reply taking the issue from many angles. Parents have every right to say they don't want their kids learning certain topics. The same as they have ever right to say they DO want their kids learning certain things. Don't like it? Don't move to that state. It's not tyranny, it's the Democratic process working as intended.

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia

Q1: You have every right to be upset and to work to elect different representatives who will pass different laws... if you live in Florida. If you don’t live in Florida, what does losing RCID really do to you? Beyond signage as you drive the tesla down I4, why do you care?
A1: I live in America and Florida is part of America.

Q2: If you’re concerned as a shareholder, why would you want Disney doing many things it’s doing now, including attacking the elected representatives in a state so important to the bottom line? Does losing RCID bring value to the company?
A2: I like to invest in companies that stand by their values, both inside and outside their walls.

Q3: If you’re taking a righteous moral stand against tyranny, as I’ve seen it described, what makes your morality superior to millions of citizens of Florida and their representatives?
A3: Nobody is superior, that’s kind of the whole point.

EPCOT-O.G.

He was responding to me but as it made no sense ignored it.
Weren’t you suggesting the problem this law was seeking to fix was “non-existent”?
Anyone that thinks this will blow over and Disney won't suffer any brand damage isn't grasping the scope of this situation. It's not just this bill.

Anecdotal, sure, but being the Disney Nuts in our very large (both geographically and number of people) social circle, we have had countless people ask us if we'll ever go to Disney again. Agree with their positions, or not, the brand damage has happened and appears to be extensive.

Disney is playing political games that are now having political consequences. I wish them the best of luck. Personally Chapek needs to be removed. Not just because of this recent controversy, but his endless cutting away at what makes WDW a magical experience.
To Fox News viewers Disney is becoming synonymous with “groomers.” I feel that association and characterization is unfair and detestable, but that impression is settling in amongst a certain cohort.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom