News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

AdventureHasAName

A year after the law goes into effect.
Yup. And it says that until those guidelines are created and implemented, the topic should just not be discussed in class instruction. And this is all a very simple solution to halting the classroom instruction of a topic where the legislature feels the topic is not being properly handled in all public school classrooms in the state and some teachers and administrators either (a) weren't aware, or (b) didn't care.

When you have a fire, you put the fire out first and then figure out how to prevent fires from happening the same way in the future.

Archie123

what sexaulity talk is there to discuss to a 5 year old??????

answer: nothing, zilch, nada

adult themes such as sex/sex preference talk and 5 year olds don't mix

bye bye

I like how brainwashed people are to think that there is this huge push in kindergarten to teach five-year-olds about sex. It’s almost comical to see how naïve people are.

“Today boys and girls we are going to learn about body parts that rhyme with Dolores.” (Thanks Seinfeld)

matt9112

A detour, but what can they realistically do? They take the insurance companies money and allow them to run the game. Sometime Florida will get hit with a 30B storm but in the meantime a bunch of office complexes with insurance processors will get built with premium income in "safe" states.
I did 3 years with lender placed insurance as I could not get a policy at any price for my home. It is a joke that I had to buy at any price and in my new abode in another state with a greater value I pay 1/3 what Florida was.
No hurricanes but how can the legislature fix that in Florida? I duno

I would say allow policyholder to opt out of cane protection? When the big one hits if were being honest the state and federal government should step in and do the one thing there good at. Spending. Couple that with the stricter building codes etc. So I have to pay through my nose because a cane might come? Next year or in ten? But I pay the same.

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
Yup. And it says that until those guidelines are created and implemented, the topic should just not be discussed in class instruction. And this is all a very simple solution to halting the classroom instruction of a topic where the legislature feels the topic is not being properly handled in all public school classrooms in the state and some teachers and administrators either (a) weren't aware, or (b) didn't care.

When you have a fire, you put the fire out first and then figure out how to prevent fires from happening the same way in the future.
What fire?

Baloo62

This video is an absolute must-see and brilliantly addresses the issues related to RCID. If nothing else, skip to 35:00 and check out the 8 double-wide trailers that make up the entire residential demographic of the "city" of Bay Lake. I was shocked.

matt9112

[/QUOTE]
Then you be the one to provide us examples of taxes Disney does not pay because of the District.

I remember that book where disney was issuing bonds for roadways using the district and schools were missing out on bonds or something to that effect. Your argument seems to be that this makes life harder for TWDC? than why the hell did they lobby so hard for it in the 70s?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That's swell, but when it comes to an individual child, if the kid's parents' opinion of what their child should be exposed to differs from your opinion, the parents' wishes should rule. Similarly, when it comes to the entire pool of children, if your state legislature's opinion of what the children should be exposed to differs from your opinion (as outlined in legislation), the legislature should control.
You should not bother having schools then…to say nothing of colleges or really any business setting

GoofGoof

Premium Member
DeSantis and his office vows that taxes aren't going to increase for any OC/OC resident. Reading between the lines here, to me that says they intend to negotiate a new district with the company with less favorable tax terms. They can't force that debt onto TWDC without giving them the district back and TWDC won't take the district back without terms that are favorable to them.
Or they are politicians and they will lie and say anything to make themselves look good. Did he say “read my lips….no new taxes” :). He’s like the kid running for school president and saying school lunch will be free for everyone and no more homework. Anyone can promise anything but when you promise something that is completely out of your control it’s just a political stunt. This is not a dictatorship where the Governor holds ultimate power. Local taxes work the way they work and the Governor can’t just change that on a whim. The state legislature and the Governor have no ability to control taxes in Orange County.

There is a good chance that once the elections are over in November this quietly disappears and things go back to normal for Disney. I’m sure they will quietly agree and neither side will publicize it.

Naplesgolfer

Honestly, between this, the pandemic operational environment, the post-pandemic operational environment, the China elephant in the room, I'm struggling to see WHY The Walt Disney Company would continue to want to be an operator of theme parks? Regardless of how this settles, FL showed the cards they are willing to play. They don't like CA's cards either. We know at various times the idea of selling the Theme Park operations has come up. No one in Burbank seems to be committed to solving the operational issues or even understanding them. There is no champion for Parks & Resorts, and when everything was going more or less like clockwork, the profits made it worth the operational pain, but is that still true? Especially if the parks are maxed out to the point they have to have a reservation system. Growth potential has to be limited, outside of forever raising prices or massive investment.

Why not start working on a long term strategy to divest from this part of the business? Shrink operations at WDW to the point where someone is willing to take them. I'm thinking things like the water parks, golf (both types), Ft. Wilderness, non-attached to anything resorts like All-Stars, Port Orleans. All the things that made WDW a resort and not just parks + place to sleep. It feels, like they have been moving that way post-pandemic anyway. Just wind them down instead of future investment. When the opportunity arises, sell off the bits that specific entities might have an interest in like Disney Springs, Flamingo Crossing to some property group; sell the Resorts to hotel operators, etc. Sell or long-term lease land, collect the licensing fees, but let the rest be someone else's headache.

What is the argument for keeping them long-term at this point? Money, but they can make money multiple ways. Nostalgia, but TWDC doesn't concern itself with such things.
They will and should keep the parks. Parks division is 33% of revenue and 62% of profit of the company. Parks provide important diversification. The company is stronger with them. Streaming is a good business but very capital intensive and intensely competitive. They don't have the same number of blockbuster movies every year. Parks are a business where they are the leader. (But they are lately squandering the massive lead and customer good will built up for 70 plus years.)

Last edited:

JoeCamel

I would say allow policyholder to opt out of cane protection? When the big one hits if were being honest the state and federal government should step in and do the one thing there good at. Spending. Couple that with the stricter building codes etc. So I have to pay through my nose because a cane might come? Next year or in ten? But I pay the same.
Problem is too many would opt out. It is required by the state as a condition of doing business in the state to get the insurance companies to even offer it as some have decided that Florida is too great a risk to even do business in.
With thousands of destroyed homes and businesses people that don't have the means to rebuild after a storm will be lost waiting for help. It would be better to expand Citizens to sort of self insure the state by buying reinsurance to cover risk as they do now but that is expensive insurance that some cannot afford. They have been trying to unload Citizens sine the storms of 2004 forced so many into it. I spent three years with no insurance, it wasn't available at any price to me.
People will not save and plan for their future when they can't earn and we do offer some help but if all you have is what the state and feds can dole out it is a horrible existence but will people save and plan? Nope. With a destroyed home, life, possessions etc. if you don't have insurance you can never rebuild your life, states and the feds will never be able to rebuild all the damage after a big storm. Insurance is necessary to live in Florida, it is one of the big reasons I left after 20 years there.

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
Kids weren’t being indoctrinated. Acknowledging that gay and trans people exist isn’t indoctrination, and parents who object to their child learning that need to homeschool. Teachers can’t have a separate curriculum for each little snowflake based their parents’ beliefs/prejudices.
Agreed. My wife has been an elementary school teacher for 18 years. I am grateful that we do not live in Florida.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom