News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

lazyboy97o

HYPOTHETICAL: "Sparkle" is a monthly children's magazine that consists almost entirely of educational cartoon stories about animals. New Jersey loves that Sparkle was created by someone (Jill Johnson) who lives in NJ (born and raised) and most of the cartoon animal stories are set in a fictional town in NJ. Miss Johnson owns 100% of Sparkle, a NJ corporation. To promote Sparkle, New Jersey's state government offers Sparkle a tax break to maintain its office of five people in Newark, New Jersey. Five years later, 100% of Sparkle is purchased by Kevin Kelly. Mr. Kelly is a proud member of the KKK and often wears Klan robes as he walks around the streets of New Jersey. Sparkle immediately begins publishing cartoon animal stories that include LGBTQ characters that are shunned by the other characters. These LGBTQ characters are portrayed as poor, dirty, smelly, dumb, etc. Simultaneously, Sparkle begins publishing editorials at the front of the magazine about how NJ's government is harming "normal" kids by promoting non-binary gender identity. Several state government officials publicly state Sparkle is no longer welcome in New Jersey, including the governor. The New Jersey state legislature votes to remove Sparkle's tax break.

QUESTION: Has New Jersey violated Sparkle's 1st Amendment rights?

The answer to this question is the answer to whether or not Florida is in violation of Disney's free speech rights and whether or not this RCID-dissolution bill is legal.
Once again, Reedy Creek Improvement District does not give Disney a tax break. It imposes additional taxes and regulations onto Disney.

mysto

1650640490912.png

flynnibus

Premium Member
The stated intent will be brought up, I'm quite sure, but really isn't a strong legal argument. The question before the court is what the law actually DOES, not what a politician told a camera or posted on twitter.

Nope. It’s their action - not the text of the law that matters. You can makeup any scheme you want on paper to fire someone… but the courts will decide if its retaliation based on the merits and motivations - not the act itself.

Just trying to cover your tracks with making the action more broad is not sufficient when the blabbermouths already countered thag defense.

All that matters about the law itself is to prove there is consequence/impact to twdc.

Unless you are trying to argue that the law doesn’t have any impact on twdc… to which i wish you luck on that journey

GimpYancIent

If it was irrelevant there would not be a consistent desire to misrepresent the benefits. Sewage and zoning isn’t what gets a lot of voters engaged.
Too true. It does not matter where on the political or business or economic spectrum a person may be Money Talks! once things get down to Show Me The Money every body becomes engaged.

DisneyDebRob

Just got off the phone with my brother in law who lives about 10 miles from Disney. He estimstes his taxes now going up 600-1000 a year. He said hes lucky he doesn’t have a huge home.
Pack the castle up.. move it somewhere out of the area of tit for tat. Closer to the northeast please would he nice. Im sure there are many states that would love to have the mouse.

flynnibus

Premium Member
This situation is not a retaliation against free speech. It is a retaliation against a corporation that has special privileges in the state of Florida that publicly stated it would step into the political arena to fight a law passed by the same state it enjoys special treatment. Disney stated they would stop political contributions and fight the law in the courts. Florida warned Disney that there would be consequences if they continued. Disney continued, Florida made good on their promise.

And that line of thinking just exposes more illegal activity. Stop giving donations and we’ll target you with punitive action??

Re read what you are saying dude. This is not how elected government is supposed to act.

WDWFanRay

Just got off the phone with my brother in law who lives about 10 miles from Disney. He estimstes his taxes now going up 600-1000 a year. He said hes lucky he doesn’t have a huge home.
With all due respect to your brother, how can he “estimate” how much his taxes go up? I’ve heard wild stories ranging from property tax bills going up 25% to Disney having to pay Orange County $570M in extra tax, which would significantly lower property taxes in Orange County. I’m sure it will all be worked out, with very little change to either sides taxes.

Dranth

HYPOTHETICAL: "Sparkle" is a monthly children's magazine that consists almost entirely of educational cartoon stories about animals. New Jersey loves that Sparkle was created by someone (Jill Johnson) who lives in NJ (born and raised) and most of the cartoon animal stories are set in a fictional town in NJ. Miss Johnson owns 100% of Sparkle, a NJ corporation. To promote Sparkle, New Jersey's state government offers Sparkle a tax break to maintain its office of five people in Newark, New Jersey. Five years later, 100% of Sparkle is purchased by Kevin Kelly. Mr. Kelly is a proud member of the KKK and often wears Klan robes as he walks around the streets of New Jersey. Sparkle immediately begins publishing cartoon animal stories that include LGBTQ characters that are shunned by the other characters. These LGBTQ characters are portrayed as poor, dirty, smelly, dumb, etc. Simultaneously, Sparkle begins publishing editorials at the front of the magazine about how NJ's government is harming "normal" kids by promoting non-binary gender identity. Several state government officials publicly state Sparkle is no longer welcome in New Jersey, including the governor. The New Jersey state legislature votes to remove Sparkle's tax break.

QUESTION: Has New Jersey violated Sparkle's 1st Amendment rights?

The answer to this question is the answer to whether or not Florida is in violation of Disney's free speech rights and whether or not this RCID-dissolution bill is legal.
I don't really feel like this is comparing apples to apples though.

Admittedly I am only going off what you have said here so I might be missing something but if Sparkle had come out and said “We don’t support legislation and will not donate to people who do” then no, they shouldn’t be targeted. That isn’t what they did though. Instead, they decided to delve into hate speech territory and target specific groups.

Again, maybe I am missing something as I am not familiar with the details on this but it doesn't seem to be the same situation.

lazyboy97o

With all due respect to your brother, how can he “estimate” how much his taxes go up? I’ve heard wild stories ranging from property tax bills going up 25% to Disney having to pay Orange County $570M in extra tax, which would significantly lower property taxes in Orange County. I’m sure it will all be worked out, with very little change to either sides taxes.
What does the Orange County Tax Collector gain from lying about Disney’s taxes? Would he not be the person most familiar with any taxes Disney is not paying to Orange County? Isn’t he going to face voter anger over increased taxes?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom