News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Sean88

RCID has nearly $800 million in General Obligation Bonds (over $800 million with the interest payments) plus another $200+ million in pension and post-retirement health benefits obligations. If the effort to dissolve RCID is successful (big IF), then the counties will have to absorb that debt. You can view RCID's annual financial audits here and verify for yourself if you're inclined to do so: https://flauditor.gov/pages/specialdistricts_efile pages/reedy creek improvement district.htm
Not a big if. Reid will still have to fulfill those bonds. As far as the pension and retirement I’m betting that will be negotiate. Either way Disney will now pay their fair share

BoardroomBrad

Says the guy who kept Disneyland shutdown forever and Disney actually released public statements about

It’s all political theater on both sides and it’s pathetic because they don’t care about anything but themselves

Disney should have just kept their mouth shut and focus on running their business and not tanking their stock and frustrating their loyal park guests
The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm just absolutely amazed at how badly this has gone for Chapek and Disney.

It's stunning to watch. I would have expected a Democrat run Florida legislature to cancel and remove the RCID sweetheart deal and return Disney World to county and state governmental oversight and taxation.

But instead to see a Republican led Florida legislature (who will easily win re-election in November and remain in power for the forseeable future) cancel RCID is just... stunning.

And then to see people to the left of the political spectrum get all upset at that and claim "Big corporations must not be allowed to be regulated by local and state government!" is not just stunning, it's hysterically funny to watch.

This has to be one of the most bizarrely entertaining Disney chapters in the company's history. Bigger than the Save Disney campaign almost 20 years ago.
I have to agree…

I never…ever…as 3x world champion cynic…would have considered that flashpoint to the state saying reedy creek must be destroyed in a month flat was even conceivable…

peter11435

Really how do you know that ? what about the money that Disney was paying to reedy creek ? That money will now go to the county. the state is removing a layer of government. What about the fact that now Disney will have to go through the same things every other corporation or resident of Florida has to go through? Such as environmental impact studies, fema flood assessment, building permit approval through the county and all the fees tied to this?
this puts Disney on an even playing field with universal, sea world and the smaller parks in that area. I’m just really surprised at everyone being so upset that a massive corporation now will have to pay its fair share.
Disney already pays the appropriate taxes to the counties. Why would the taxes Disney pays to reedy creek now go to the county. Disney already has to go through approval processes and studies with the south Florida water management district and they already go through permitting processes with fees.

Brer Oswald

To be clear: I don’t think that at all.

Disney’s greed level has risen beyond what’s financially wise and the management is a joke.

But…this Florida thing is like a skit on the dukes of hazzard or something??

The entire episode is a spectacle meant to pull money out of what amounts to 40%…if you’re lucky…of the population of the United States.
Oh believe me, I know you don’t. I’ve noticed it more so outside of this forum, but hints of it in some posts.

It just seems like the month before was forgotten. I think this is the first time that the company has “supported” the progressive side of an issue and has faced a challenge instead of reaping an immediate benefit.

Tom P.

Exactly!

The California Vs. Florida, with two governors jockeying for position as Presidential candidates later this decade, is another bizarrely entertaining angle to this story.

California is losing hundreds of businesses per year to states like Florida and Texas, and California's governor literally forced Disneyland to remain closed for 13 months and was openly hostile to allowing it to reopen.

And all of a sudden now California's governor is some huge Disney fan and rabidly pro-business???

It's one of those stories you can barely follow if you are sober. You really do need to have a glass of wine in your hand for this all to make sense. 🤪
Which governor kept Disney closed longer?

Which governor cost Disney billions and billions more in lost profits?

Which governor does Disney support?

If I was a Disney shareholder, I'd be appalled at how current leadership is running the company.

lazyboy97o

Really how do you know that ? what about the money that Disney was paying to reedy creek ? That money will now go to the county. the state is removing a layer of government. What about the fact that now Disney will have to go through the same things every other corporation or resident of Florida has to go through? Such as environmental impact studies, fema flood assessment, building permit approval through the county and all the fees tied to this?
this puts Disney on an even playing field with universal, sea world and the smaller parks in that area. I’m just really surprised at everyone being so upset that a massive corporation now will have to pay its fair share.
If Disney doesn’t have to get permits how is there a whole thread tracking Disney permits?

Last edited:

Slpy3270

Not only will Disney not be hurt in any meaningful sense (assuming the courts or something else don't nullify the repeal), but billions in debt will magically disappear because counties will be taking over services Disney previously handled (though that means HUGE tax hikes, making Orange County unlivable).

Disney investors should be gitty about that.

WDWFanRay

The positions of what was conservative and liberal have changed since Walt's time, and beyond that, Disney has always been political.

Doesn’t matter. That’s how free speech works.

Will you be the one point out these big tax benefits provided to Disney by the District?
First you have to define what you mean by “free speech” One persons “free speech” is another persons yelling “fire” in a crowded theater.

The Mom

Premium Member
Sad to see that The Site That Shall Not Be Named now has higher standards in their reporting of Disney news than @wdwmagic does.

WDWMagic story:

View attachment 634637

The other site's story:

View attachment 634638

Only one site manages to actually give the correct name for the bill and at least acknowledge that it's not actually called the "Don't Say Gay" bill.
I have looked at every thread title here and have not found that one. Certainly not posted this afternoon. There may have been one, but it was removed.

Disstevefan1

Sad to see that The Site That Shall Not Be Named now has higher standards in their reporting of Disney news than @wdwmagic does.

WDWMagic story:

View attachment 634637

The other site's story:

View attachment 634638

Only one site manages to actually give the correct name for the bill and at least acknowledge that it's not actually called the "Don't Say Gay" bill.
Interesting. Almost the exact same thing. One leaves out the real name of the bill, both say "Don't say Gay". one uses "targeting" the other says "punish".

I agree, the site that shall not be named did a better job here.
I am not sad about it. I enjoy both sites.

Brer Oswald

I'm just absolutely amazed at how badly this has gone for Chapek and Disney.

It's stunning to watch. I would have expected a Democrat run Florida legislature to cancel and remove the RCID sweetheart deal and return Disney World to county and state governmental oversight and taxation.

But instead to see a Republican led Florida legislature (who will easily win re-election in November and remain in power for the forseeable future) cancel RCID is just... stunning.

And then to see people to the left of the political spectrum get all upset at that and claim "Big corporations must not be allowed to be regulated by local and state government!" is not just stunning, it's hysterically funny to watch.

This has to be one of the most bizarrely entertaining Disney chapters in the company's history. Bigger than the Save Disney campaign almost 20 years ago.
You’re right. It’s stunning (and entertaining) how all parties involved seem to have zero self awareness.

EPCOT-O.G.

No, apparently benefits obtained through corporate cronyism is a right corporations enjoy in perpetuity, and the First Amendment means any attempt to reassess this relationship is unconstitutional, no matter how much the benefiting corporation says and does to affect the state

Thelazer

What about the fact that Disney will now be contributing north of 200,000,000 dollars to the 2 counties and state. I’m not making this political but politicians that disagree with something always say taxes will go up.

Shh don't mention that.. the company shills will attack

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom