News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

GimpYancIent

Interesting to me is the fact everyone is focused on RCID, Orange County and Disney when there are other districts impacted by this legislation. Disney does not have an exclusive on impact. "Florida House leaders said the new law would impact five special districts: Reedy Creek Improvement District, Bradford County Development Authority, Sunshine Water Control District in Broward County, Eastpoint Water and Sewer District in Franklin County, and the Hamilton County Development Authority."

Vegas Disney Fan

So what happens if Orange County doesn’t want to pay for multiple fire departments?
One of the articles I read talked about a special tax district for the fire department, they made it sound like Disney would be accessed new taxes for certain services like the fire department. I’m not positive I understood it 100% though, the whole thing is very confusing.

mightynine

Interesting to me is the fact everyone is focused on RCID, Orange County and Disney when there are other districts impacted by this legislation. Disney does not have an exclusive on impact. "Florida House leaders said the new law would impact five special districts: Reedy Creek Improvement District, Bradford County Development Authority, Sunshine Water Control District in Broward County, Eastpoint Water and Sewer District in Franklin County, and the Hamilton County Development Authority."
It’s almost like this is a Disney Parks fan site or somethin’.

Brian

Don't get me started on the Eastpoint Water and Sewer District!

lazyboy97o

One of the articles I read talked about a special tax district for the fire department, they made it sound like Disney would be accessed new taxes for certain services like the fire department. I’m not positive I understood it 100% though, the whole thing is very confusing.
There are a variety of precedents for special allocation and improvement districts. The current legislation does not handle this so any solutions are hypothetical and would still have to be implemented. There are also issues of how much counties can do on their own and the need for state involvement for a cross-county solution.

freedining

If dissolving the RCID accelerates the replacement of several levels of Disney management, then that sounds like a good thing. Disney needs to get back to creating kid friendly entertainment. I’d like to take my future grandkids, but no way would I do it now.

The democrat echo chamber here probably isn’t the best place to debate the “Don’t Say Gay” bill, which isn’t that. Some Disney fans could try practicing the vaunted “liberal tolerance” and actually listen to the other half of the country, before the tidal wave arrives. Learning how to tolerate conservative views would be a very liberal thing to do.

the_rich

If dissolving the RCID accelerates the replacement of several levels of Disney management, then that sounds like a good thing. Disney needs to get back to creating kid friendly entertainment. I’d like to take my future grandkids, but no way would I do it now.

The democrat echo chamber here probably isn’t the best place to debate the “Don’t Say Gay” bill, which isn’t that. Some Disney fans could try practicing the vaunted “liberal tolerance” and actually listen to the other half of the country, before the tidal wave arrives. Learning how to tolerate conservative views would be a very liberal thing to do.
Examples of this kid unfriendly entertainment?

lazyboy97o

How is punishing political speech an example of tolerance?

Vegas Disney Fan

Is this a political thread or not? There's a lot I would like to say about the legislation and why — as a gay person — I and many others find the legislation troubling. But if this isn't considered a political thread and politics are not allowed on this section of the website I don't want to go there.

I'm just confused as I thought politics were genuinely not allowed in this section of the website yet a good 50% of the posts on this thread are overtly political.
It is not, as soon as a moderator sees it 90% of the comments on the last twenty pages will instantly vanish.

If it’s directly related to the RCiD bill it’ll probably be allowed but everything else is not allowed.

The moderators have already closed several threads because the Family rights/don’t say gay arguments overtook the original intent of the thread.

Vegas Disney Fan

In that case, I would imagine that the counties would have to somehow leverage a deal wherein Disney starts forking over similar amounts to what they were paying RCID. It would be unreasonable to expect the counties to take on all that debt and increased operating expenses without any additional tax revenue.

Though admittedly, I am not familiar with Florida tax/administrative law, so it may be perfectly legal to dump that all on the counties without any additional revenue. The law doesn't always necessarily line up with what is reasonable or fair.

It's too bad that this whole process is being rushed so aggressively - the legislature should be working through these matters with the stakeholders and come up with a plan to address them in advance.
That or just keep it as it is, it seems like it’s worked well for 50 years and both WDW and Florida have benefited from it.

shambolicdefending

The Disney suits made a big mistake wading so sharply into a political issue where there are deep and legitimate feelings on both sides. There was no way that could have a happy outcome.

But, not to be outdone, the state government now seems intent on rushing through legislation that nobody was the least bit interested in a couple of months ago. I like a lot of what DeSantis does, but revenge isn't a good or welcome look for any government.

What an ugly situation. Nobody wins. Everybody loses.

Cliff

Why oh why did Disney have to take a stick, walk right up to the political bee-hive and whack it like that? This was completely unnecessary and 100% self enflicted.

Disney, my God...please stay away from "all" politics. Stop "all" support for "all" politicians. You need to declare a NEUTRAL and non-poltical policy from this day forward. Do not try to be an "activist" entertainment company. This only leads to horrible outcomes and the deeper you go, the worse it will get.

Social politics are a quick-sand that you cant escape and it ends only with you greatly upsetting BOTH sides of whatever issue you are tangled in.

Politics is a VERY dirty business. Dont think that you can dive into it and somehow stay clean. That is 100% impossible. Just avoid the temptation....and stay as far away from it as much as you can.

Treat all your castmembers well. Do not get in bed with "any" politician. Do not publically alienate your customers or your shareholders...no matter how much you privately want to.

Be Switzerland......

SpectroMagician

I think one of the most important things most people on this site are missing is the burdensome regulations that will arise from Disney not controlling the district. The Dems in Orange County are sure going to want to get their beaks wet and Disney will have to play the corruption game now. Projects will move a lot slower, and Disney will have an even tougher time competing with Universal now that they do not have a special advantage.

EPCOT-O.G.

Why oh why did Disney have to take a stick, walk right up to the political bee-hive and whack it like that? This was completely unnecessary and 100% self enflicted.
Arguably, if Chapek had just rested on that statement he issued, took some heat, and left it at that, this would’ve all blown over. The overcompensation after the poor reception of that statement was what provoked the Florida legislature, and here we are.

DisneyHead123

I'm pretty shocked that things escalated this far this fast. At first I thought that all parties involved (Disney and Florida government) would make tepid "because we have to" style statements for the sake of the cameras. Then I thought "Ok, they'll take it further but it's all just grandstanding, peacocking." I really didn't think Florida would seriously try to revoke Disney's Reedy Creek status but here we are. 😲 What is happening in our politically divided world today?! Who does this benefit? I'm no fan of the Woke movement but "Government as Mafia saying 'Nice business you got there - be a shame if something happened to it.'" is not the answer.

I did find an interesting tidbit in this article:

The legislation, championed by Gov. Ron DeSantis, would dissolve six special districts that were formed before 1968, when the current state constitution was put in place.

The districts would then be able to reapply to become a special district again in 2023, subject to the approval of the Florida Legislature.

So this is not a permanent deal, it seems? Obviously a form of blackmail, but the idea being that in 2023 the clock resets?

Cliff

Arguably, if Chapek had just rested on that statement he issued, took some heat, and left it at that, this would’ve all blown over. The overcompensation after the poor reception of that statement was what provoked the Florida legislature, and here we are.
I would argue that the only public statements that Disney needs to make are quarterly earninngs reports. Disney should not "ever" discuss "any" social issues that the rest of the world debates. They should say "no comment" to almost "every" social problem in this world.

Its just not Disney's job to whack bee-hives and dive into political quagmires

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

Interesting that you used the acronym LGB. Because in the LGBTQIA+ pantheon, I believe after the "B" is the point at which it normally starts to get political and be about more than supporting or opposing people's rights. Just saying.
I missed the T this time, I almost always write LGB or lgbt for several reasons… 1) I’m too lazy to write out the alphabet, 2) in college I worked at a restaurant that hosted the lgbt club (that’s all it was in the 90s) so that’s familiar to me and I can’t remember the half dozen other letters, and 3) after T I find it redundant, it becomes subgroups of the primary groups.

Edited to add, when did they drop the P? Wasn’t panse… part at one point? This is why I stick to what I know because I’ll screw it up if I go beyond T. .

Last edited:

Tom P.

Obergefell is only 7 years ago and the GOP platform still doesn't recognize gay marriage?
Perhaps not. But I'm talking about the everyday debates we hear today. Very few people are debating gay marriage today. Even fewer are trying to actually write legislation related to it. The political debate is all centered on the TQIA+ portion at this time. And I think that's where the arguments move well beyond simply recognizing or opposing people's rights.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom