News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
But didn't all of that land belong to the Disney company 1st? That could be dangerous if somehow it caused Disney to lose a whole bunch of land to the state.
Yah I don’t know. When you look at maps of RCID some areas are owned by TW

We’re talking about the potential issues that could affect the Reedy Creek Improvement District, stop dragging this up

correcaminos

It’s a mutual relationship. Disney World would not be nearly as profitable of it where located in Indiana.

It’s in Disneys best interest to start acting like a business and not a political party.
Question is, do you want to be willing to keep employees happy or just make money? Also who is to say what families will want to support or not certain companies. I know I put my money where I support, or don't, companies. I'll say this nicely, being gay, trans, bi etc is not being political. Supporting your CMs who identify as LGBTQ+ might care and quit or walk out if their company doesn't support them. Sometimes people start tossing things as politics that don't belong as politics. Disney has always been very LGBTQ+ friendly and the recent changes to the CMs rules for dress point to that. Let's not tick off the CMs and have even less working now. That's my thought. I also appreciate when companies look after their own. Let's not also make LGBTQ+ a political issue but a support issue. JMO as a Disney fan and a parent who believes in supporting people.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
I think the disconnect here is that this is being framed as Disney acting the way the masses want them to act and only a tiny, tiny fringe kook minority have any disagreement with anything they are saying or doing. I simply do not believe that is true. I think Disney's PR machine is playing to a very narrow constituency right now. So it's not that I think they don't have the right to have, or express, an opinion. It's that I think they are making a bad business decision not only in the opinion they are choosing to express but how they are choosing to express it. I think they are on the verge of alienating a serious chunk of their customer base. Sure, they have the right to. But I think it's bad business.

In addition to that, you may have noticed that a lot of the coverage includes mentioning the persistent price increases and incredibly high costs associated with visiting Disney Parks. Kinda like some are enjoying putting salt in the self inflicted wounds of Disney.

It’s also very curious how USO seems to dodging this.

monothingie

Premium Member
Question is, do you want to be willing to keep employees happy or just make money? Also who is to say what families will want to support or not certain companies. I know I put my money where I support, or don't, companies. I'll say this nicely, being gay, trans, bi etc is not being political. Supporting your CMs who identify as LGBTQ+ might care and quit or walk out if their company doesn't support them. Sometimes people start tossing things as politics that don't belong as politics. Disney has always been very LGBTQ+ friendly and the recent changes to the CMs rules for dress point to that. Let's not tick off the CMs and have even less working now. That's my thought. I also appreciate when companies look after their own. Let's not also make LGBTQ+ a political issue but a support issue. JMO as a Disney fan and a parent who believes in supporting people.
Yes we’ve heard all the horror stories of how well Disney treats CM. I’m glad that post pandemic a lot have found they get treated better at Walmart than working for the mouse.

The protests and noise over this have mostly come from SoCal CM, not Florida CM.

JohnD

Another issue I can think of is “the bubble” being eliminated. There is a lot of RCID undeveloped land surrounding WDW and Celebration. I’m not sure who that land would go to if RCID no longer existed. If it becomes part of the county then it could possibly lead to parcels being sold off, more roads constructed through property etc? Maybe? I’m not sure how that would work. I’m sure someone here would have a better idea @mkt @lazyboy97o

They'll still own their land. It's the law incorporating the governing unit and the powers, responsibilities, and services for that governing unit (i.e. the special district) that would be repealed. If that should happen, all laws, regulations and services provided fall to Orange and Osceola Counties.

lazyboy97o

They'll still own their land. It's the law incorporating the governing unit and the powers, responsibilities, and services for that governing (i.e. the special district) that would be repealed. If that should happen, all laws and regulations and services provided fall to Orange and Osceola Counties.
Reedy Creek Improvement District has its own land holdings such as those that constitute the green belt around Celebration.

monothingie

Premium Member
Because they didn't go all in and pick a fight with the State of Florida. This bill doesn't affect theme parks anyway.
But typically with these things you have a mass call for protest and boycott of anything “Florida”. It’s curious how this was allowed to spiral so out of control only at Disney and why the energy behind this seems to be all California based.

correcaminos

But typically with these things you have a mass call for protest and boycott of anything “Florida”. It’s curious how this was allowed to spiral so out of control at Disney and why the energy behind this seems to be all California based.
I can assure you from my friends in FL it is not all California based. I can also tell you that loved ones where I live are calling for bans for Florida. USF has even been called out for being radio silent really. Floridians I know are upset. Non-Floridian friends who don't live in CA are upset too. I got messaged by a friend telling me to not go to Disney because of what Florida did.

monothingie

Premium Member
I can assure you from my friends in FL it is not all California based. I can also tell you that loved ones where I live are calling for bans for Florida. USF has even been called out for being radio silent really. Floridians I know are upset. Non-Floridian friends who don't live in CA are upset too. I got messaged by a friend telling me to not go to Disney because of what Florida did.
Yes I’m sure there are some in Florida, but the real energy and visible protests were much much closer to Burbank than Orlando.

peter11435

The protests and noise over this have mostly come from SoCal CM, not Florida CM.
Yes I’m sure there are some in Florida, but the real energy and visible protests were much much closer to Burbank than Orlando.
Most cast at WDW are covered under collective bargaining agreements that provide no security for cast participating in a planned walkout. Unions warned Florida cast not to participate.

monothingie

Premium Member
Most cast at WDW are covered under collective bargaining agreements that provide no security for cast participating in a planned walkout. Unions warned Florida cast not to participate.
Come on, so you think Disney would have retaliated for protesting and add further gasoline to their dumpster fire handling of this?

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
Sorry didn’t finish my thought, was going to say if you check RCID maps you can see where they have some areas listed as being owned by TWDC and some being owned by RCID. There’s also lots of area around here owned by Compass Rose and The Celebration Company that doesn’t seem to be part of RCID but either borders it or is surrounded it. Just curious how that would all work if they disbanded “the District”.

Brian

I don’t claim to know what Disney would have or would not have done. But job abandonment is a terminable offense and the unions warned cast they would not be protected if they participated.
Many of the CBAs also include(d) a no strike/picket/disruptive activity provision, and, in at least one case, an obligation for the union to work to stop it. Although it's targeted at union-sanctioned activity for the most part (such as avoiding walk-outs during contract negotiations), there is potential for that provision to be applied in these instances as well. The unions were wise to stay out of it and discourage participation in any of these activities.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I figured this whole political posturing campaign would start once this whole 'don't say gay' law hubbub cropped up. It happens every decade or so (always in an election year) when a politician is angered about something Disney does, doesn't feel like their getting enough attention, and threatens (if you'll elect them) to take away Disney's governmental powers to 'make them accountable'. The script is nearly always the same. Most of the time it dies out after a few months but they make a lot of noise along the way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom