News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
In an apparent stand off with The Walt Disney Company, some Florida legislators are meeting to discuss the possibility of removing the Reedy Creek Improvement District and stripping Disney of its semi self government status. This is as Disney says they are working to have a new law struck down passed by the Governor this week.

The 1967 act allowed Disney to create the Reedy Creek Improvement District, the self-described purpose being “to support and administer certain aspects of the economic development and tourism within District boundaries.” The creation of the district means Walt Disney World and other landowners pay for local essential services like water, electricity, fire protection, and emergency medical services instead of local taxpayers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dranth

I asked this on another thread - wouldn't this mean the taxpayers in Orange County would have to foot the bill for all the services that Disney currently pays the cost for?

Yeesh.
If so, that would be a quick way for a bunch of Florida legislators to lose their seats next election. However, as someone who grew up around politics, you can never underestimate just how fragile most politicians’ egos are so it wouldn't surprise me.

GimpYancIent

I asked this on another thread - wouldn't this mean the taxpayers in Orange County would have to foot the bill for all the services that Disney currently pays the cost for? Water, fire protection, etc. ...

Yeesh.
Think of it a another "Bob" scheme. the politicians off so there is legislative change that would shift a load of expenses Disney has now to the local taxpayers. Ta da more money retained in Disney coffers. This keeps getting uglier by the minute.

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
Think of it a another "Bob" scheme. **** the politicians off so there is legislative change that would shift a load of expenses Disney has now to the local taxpayers. Ta da more money retained in Disney coffers. This keeps getting uglier by the minute.
I’m sure they’d love the saved money, but I don’t think they think it’s worth the control they’d lose

ToTBellHop

I do wonder…what would the impact of this be on Disney? How much do they actually gain presently from the arrangement. It’s not as though they can flout laws as they see fit, as some imagine. This seems like a political statement to score votes but not something that would have that much real impact…if it even happens.

el_super

I do wonder…what would the impact of this be on Disney? How much do they actually gain presently from the arrangement. It’s not as though they can flout laws as they see fit, as some imagine. This seems like a political statement to score votes but not something that would have that much real impact…if it even happens.

First off, they won't do it. Not a chance.

Second... If somehow they did decide to do it, there would be years of legal maneuvering that would most likely result in the current setup being grandfathered in, with some form of government approval/oversight being implemented. If Anaheim is any indication, Disney would just have to spend more money influencing local politicians to get what they want, but they would eventually get what they want.

Squishy

Layoffs and defunding of projects

castlecake2.0

Original Poster

Losing a bit of control while standing up for LGBTQ+ cast and guests seems worthwhile.

This company would surely prefer to be on the right side of history.
Think it’s definitely a scare tactic that will never come to fruition. If anyone loses it seems it will be the residents of orange and Osceola counties now having to take care of Disney’s municipal needs th Disney has been paying for for the last 60 years.

Disstevefan1

View attachment 629424
In an apparent stand off with The Walt Disney Company, some Florida legislators are meeting to discuss the possibility of removing the Reedy Creek Improvement District and stripping Disney of its semi self government status. This is as Disney says they are working to have a new law struck down passed by the Governor this week.

The 1967 act allowed Disney to create the Reedy Creek Improvement District, the self-described purpose being “to support and administer certain aspects of the economic development and tourism within District boundaries.” The creation of the district means Walt Disney World and other landowners pay for local essential services like water, electricity, fire protection, and emergency medical services instead of local taxpayers.
I have said thousands of times that TWDC and its theme parks are invincible.
NOW I am beginning to worry, at least for WDW..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom