News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

lazyboy97o

Who would wish for that?

My point is, under RCID they are slow. How much slower can they got things done?

Maybe under the new district, it will be so much trouble to get a permit that they will make it a point to get it done before the permit expires.
That’s not how it works. Not to mention the serious safety issues that would arise from rushing construction.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Could you please provide some examples of how the District was in need of greater state oversight? In what areas was the District lacking in the application of different and opposing points of view? How does a board appointed by the state ensure this diversity of views on land management?

When people read the staff analysis... you can see how people can say there was room for 'updates' that would have been relevant for RCID. But the thing is... 'if it ain't broke...' - There is no pressing need to modernize this, no conflicts that were causing friction, etc. And of course it wasn't demonstrating leadership problems that incite a need to replace the oversight.

So the reality is somewhere in the middle. Where updates relevant for RCID? Sure. Were they NEEDED? No Is the legislation just modernizing those defects? NO, its going way beyond that.

You could also argue the new structure has some benefits with the ideas of planned reviews, etc so you could scope this down or review instead of the 'forever kingdom' the original charter setup. In isolation, these points all make sense... but the problem is none of this is in isolation and it's not being done for 'house cleaning' or to improve citizen's needs.

nickys

Premium Member
A friendly reminder of the rules of the forum that can be read below. Especially #10.

10. If you have a problem with or question about a moderator’s decision, contact the moderator privately or submit a message through the contact system. Posts or topics discussing moderator actions will be removed.

fgmnt

Who would wish for that?

My point is, under RCID they are slow. How much slower can they got things done?

Maybe under the new district, it will be so much trouble to get a permit that they will make it a point to get it done before the permit expires.
Do you think these are implicit or explicit goals of the State?

flynnibus

Premium Member
This thread is about RCID and the changes the state is trying to enact. Not about general reaction to the "don't Say Gay Bill"

Stay on topic with RCID. Thanks

I understand this is very difficult, but please don't get into wider spread politics. If you do, you will be banned from this thread. Thanks.

Please everyone, remember this thread is specifically about RCID, not a general politics thread. Please remain on-topic and respects other's differing opinions. Thanks.

If you don't agree with me - take it up with the site owner. Until then... stop bringing that stuff into this thread and cause it to get railroaded or shutdown.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cliff

. The state of Florida gave Disney their own government and a HIGHLY SPECIAL authority for the purporse of building "EPCOT". Sadly, Walt passed shortly after and EPCOT was turned into a common theme park. When this happened, the state should have pulled back the RCID municaplaity...because it was no longer necessary and the very reason for its special purpose had vanished.

No other theme park companies have this rare advantage given to them. You dont need ownership or controll over your own local government to operate a theme park business.

If there is one quote I believe with my very heart and soul, it's: "Power corrupts....absolute power corrupts absolutely" - Abraham Lincoln???

Last edited by a moderator:

the_rich

Well?....Disney is not a "person". Its a giant multi-facited conglomerate with growing polotical asperations. The state of Florida gave Disney their own government and a HIGHLY SPECIAL authority for the purporse of building "EPCOT". Sadly, Walt passed shortly after and EPCOT was turned into a common theme park. When this happened, the state should have pulled back the RCID municaplaity...because it was no longer necessary and the very reason for its special purpose had vanished.

No other theme park companies have this rare advantage given to them. You dont need ownership or controll over your own local government to operate a theme park business.

If there is one quote I believe with my very heart and soul, it's: "Power corrupts....absolute power corrupts absolutely" - Abraham Lincoln???
And Lincoln didn't say that

lazyboy97o

Well?....Disney is not a "person". Its a giant multi-facited conglomerate with growing polotical asperations. The state of Florida gave Disney their own government and a HIGHLY SPECIAL authority for the purporse of building "EPCOT". Sadly, Walt passed shortly after and EPCOT was turned into a common theme park. When this happened, the state should have pulled back the RCID municaplaity...because it was no longer necessary and the very reason for its special purpose had vanished.

Reedy Creek Improvement District was established to promote tourism. This is stated in its charter and the Supreme Court decision that upheld the District’s existence and authority.

You need things like electrical, water and sewer service to operate a theme park. You need things like roads to operate a theme park. You probably want things like safety standards to operate a theme park. Those things didn’t exist nor did the capacity to build them exist.

But yes, the people of Florida should be chanting that they want to pay their fair share of Disney’s bills.

TehPuddingMan

And Lincoln didn't say that
E336FF62-2B78-4266-AEF8-97C5B1D0F0EC.jpeg

lazyboy97o

But that language doesn't go into effect until the law is passed.
At a minimum the District could use eminent domain to take assets back. I’d have to back and check but I think there’s further language regarding powers, etc. They seem to have actually listened to those who pointed out that the municipalities are a potential problem with any plan.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
At a minimum the District could use eminent domain to take assets back. I’d have to back and check but I think there’s further language regarding powers, etc. They seem to have actually listened to those who pointed out that the municipalities are a potential problem with any plan.

But if the district doesn't exist, how can it take assets back?

ParentsOf4

As suggested by this CNN article, Disney has bigger problems to solve than what’s going on in Florida.

Disstevefan1

Do you think these are implicit or explicit goals of the State?
No. My thinking is right now under RCID they are slow. Maybe under RCID they can extend permits at will, and projects can just drag on forever.

I am just speculating, Under the new district, permits will for sure take longer to get approved. This will increase the time and hassle to get permits and if the permit expires, they have to go through the process again, taking more time.

Maybe, just maybe, under the new district, once going through the hassle getting the permit, they will make a point to finish a project just to not have to go through the permit process again.

Universal Orlando seems to get things done in a timely manner so there is hope.

But having said that, the reality is, it will probably take longer for anything to get done under the new district simply because the new district is not in TWDC’s back pocket anymore.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom