News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

GoofGoof

Premium Member
As anyone in Central FL can attest to, just because ground breaking has already taken place, it doesn't mean you have to move in. For example:

1200px-Majesty_Building%2C_Altamonte_Springs%2C_FL.jpg

Even then, as long as there are states with heavy taxation, and public health and regulatory burdens like California and New York, Florida will retain it's pro-business status, albeit somewhat diminished.
Absolutely agree. 2024 is a long ways off and it’s possible the whole project could fall through or even get downsized. The original thought was the campus Disney is building is much larger than the announced jobs and could result in many more jobs than initially proposed.

I don’t think FL is being compared to CA or NY for attracting companies, but there are many other states that also have low cost of living (Aka lower wage workers) and also good tax credits that are also very pro-business. Not being “as bad as CA” for businesses is a very low bar ;)

Lilofan

Well as far as the stimulus money went…if you got it all…you don’t have much in the grand scheme of things…

So yeah…big ole vacay in 3/22 to “the world” maybe…

But there prolly not more of that coming. Fired those bullets. That’s also what the business guys that concentrate on travel are saying.
The porch pirates were in full swing cruising the local streets looking for Amazon packages to swipe during the recession.

el_super

I don’t think FL is being compared to CA or NY for attracting companies, but there are many other states that also have low cost of living (Aka lower wage workers) and also good tax credits that are also very pro-business. Not being “as bad as CA” for businesses is a very low bar ;)

Businesses have been trying to leave "business unfriendly" California for years if not decades, and it still hasn't really worked. Whatever it is, California is still doing something right for business.

Lest we forget: there's still a building at Hollywood Studios called "Feature Animation."

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Businesses have been trying to leave "business unfriendly" California for years if not decades, and it still hasn't really worked. Whatever it is, California is still doing something right for business.

Lest we forget: there's still a building at Hollywood Studios called "Feature Animation."
I don’t think Disney’s move to Florida has much to do with tax breaks…or “business crushing taxes” in California. It’s much more sinister if we’re honest?

Lilofan

Didn’t Eisner fire a number of Animation cast after the horrible Treasure Planet movie. ?

el_super

I don’t think Disney’s move to Florida has much to do with tax breaks…or “business crushing taxes” in California. It’s much more sinister if we’re honest?

Yes and no. On one hand, I could see that they needed a lot more space (or at least thought they did) and wanted to expand. No matter how historic to Disney, Glendale isn't the greatest area, and the run down industrial neighborhood wasn't the most marketable place either. So why not look for a brand new purpose-built building?

At the same time, you have to wonder why WDI has grown so large that it has completely outgrown even it's expanded campus, and in an age where everything is getting smaller and more compact. So maybe there was always some intention of scaling back WDI operations as well as getting some cheap land. I don't think it's too sinister on paper, but I think it's still way too early to determine what the consequences of that move will be (if any).

Didn’t Eisner fire a number of Animation cast after the horrible Treasure Planet movie. ?

Probably.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes and no. On one hand, I could see that they needed a lot more space (or at least thought they did) and wanted to expand. No matter how historic to Disney, Glendale isn't the greatest area, and the run down industrial neighborhood wasn't the most marketable place either. So why not look for a brand new purpose-built building?

At the same time, you have to wonder why WDI has grown so large that it has completely outgrown even it's expanded campus, and in an age where everything is getting smaller and more compact. So maybe there was always some intention of scaling back WDI operations as well as getting some cheap land. I don't think it's too sinister on paper, but I think it's still way too early to determine what the consequences of that move will be (if any).

Probably.
I think they’re moving to actually contract. Shed overhead.

How’s that for chaos theory?

GoofGoof

Premium Member

For sure that’s true. CA is a large and very diverse state. Lots of established businesses are not going to just move, especially if they have ties to the area or are in an industry that is very tied to the state. But what you almost never hear these days is a company planning to move jobs from another state to CA. That type of movement is centered mostly around lower cost of living (aka lower wage) states offering a hands off, business friendly environment and low taxes and/or tax credits. FL fit that bill in the not so distant past. Not so much anymore. It’s not too late to move away from these policies, but large companies have been put on notice and the impact could be very bad to the state economy.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think they’re moving to actually contract. Shed overhead.

How’s that for chaos theory?
Reboot. I worked for a company that did that. Moved to another state far enough away that people wouldn’t relocate on their own and then only offered relocation for a select group of key people. Then they hired new, cheaper workers to back fill the open roles, but ultimately ended up with less people and at a much lower average cost per employee.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Reboot. I worked for a company that did that. Moved to another state far enough away that people wouldn’t relocate on their own and then only offered relocation for a select group of key people. Then they hired new, cheaper workers to back fill the open roles, but ultimately ended up with less people and at a much lower average cost per employee.
Exactly…”culture change”…which means slashing high earning professionals

Brian

Can anyone write a synopsis of what is going on regarding this so far?
You mean you don't have time to read through 287 pages of bickering? ;)

Basically, the Florida legislature, at Gov. DeSantis' urging, passed a bill which the governor has signed that would dissolve RCID and six other special districts established before the state constitution was ratified. Many have criticized this as a retaliatory measure, after Disney called out DeSantis and the legislature for the Parental Rights in Education bill, colloquially referred to as "Don't Say Gay."

Now, there is question as to if it is even legally possible to dissolve RCID due to ongoing municipal bond obligations. There is also the issue of where RCID's debt goes if the District ceases to exist. For these and other reasons, it is considered by myself and most others on this board to be unlikely that RCID goes away as scheduled on June 1, 2023.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Can anyone write a synopsis of what is going on regarding this so far?

The GOP led Florida legislature passed a hurried law to dissolve the Reedy Creek Improvement District.
A law that most certainly will be challenged in the courts and doesn't have any enforcement until next summer anyway.
Everyone has called out how horrible the impact of doing this is without any real plan, and the Govenor has said he has a plan... but hasn't shared it. Everyone expects they will try to pass new laws to try to work out how to handle the liabilies of RCID without punishing everyone else. But TBD.

So basically what is happening NOW is nothing... except lawyers prepping their arguments and everyone waiting for the GOP's next grand step.

Lilofan

Would not be surprised if that’s the Lake Nona effect. Ones who refuse the cross country move are fired , and fill open positions with entry level salary folks from FL.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom