News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

flynnibus

Premium Member
As for Florida being able to collect more taxes and fees from WDW when RCID is gone. Ha! TWDC is expert at not paying stuff. I am sure they will avoid paying and additional taxes or fees by all means necessary.

I'd counter that TWDC is probably an expert on how to get the best deal out of a relationship - not 'not paying'.

Big business knows you gotta spend money to make money - and that includes TWDC. I would totally predict them entering into new arrangements that include new taxes and expenses... as long as they get what they really want.

Disney doesn't want to off all of it's neighbors
Disney knows they their needs are basically perpetual in central florida

If that means approving some new deal or paying new taxes to avoid a total meltdown.. you can expect them to do it. Disney isn't thinking just about this year with this kind of topic - it's gotta be thinking generational.

RCID's biggest asset to Disney is CONTROL. So I wouldn't expect the $$ to be the biggest factor for Disney - but more about control and being able to steer the ship long term.

AEfx

While it is not a corporate statement, Disney could have easily directed ABC to not address it on The View.

Actually no, they couldn't - The View has been under the ABC News umbrella for nearly a decade now, it was moved from the Entertainment division in like 2014. It would be highly inappropriate for the parent company to tell a show under the News division what to cover or not. That's why they have to do the whole "we have to read this statement from the other side" thing and why they have to be up front about who their parent company is, etc. during any relevant discussions.

That said, I think the people that are clamoring for a Disney response, and insisting they are being "silent" because they have yet to make a statement one business day later, are being silly. The absolute dumbest thing Disney could do right now is fight this out in the press. People are just caught up in the drama of it all and want their fix. Disney will respond in due time in a legally appropriate way. We will probably get a terse statement this week sometime, but any lawyer would be idiotic to recommend that they do anything more.

GimpYancIent

Actually no, they couldn't - The View has been under the ABC News umbrella for nearly a decade now, it was moved from the Entertainment division in like 2014. It would be highly inappropriate for the parent company to tell a show under the News division what to cover or not. That's why they have to do the whole "we have to read this statement from the other side" thing and why they have to be up front about who their parent company is, etc. during any relevant discussions.

That said, I think the people that are clamoring for a Disney response, and insisting they are being "silent" because they have yet to make a statement one business day later, are being silly. The absolute dumbest thing Disney could do right now is fight this out in the press. People are just caught up in the drama of it all and want their fix. Disney will respond in due time.
Silence in its own way can be loud.

Disstevefan1

I'd counter that TWDC is probably an expert on how to get the best deal out of a relationship - not 'not paying'.

Big business knows you gotta spend money to make money - and that includes TWDC. I would totally predict them entering into new arrangements that include new taxes and expenses... as long as they get what they really want.

Disney doesn't want to **** off all of it's neighbors
Disney knows they their needs are basically perpetual in central florida

If that means approving some new deal or paying new taxes to avoid a total meltdown.. you can expect them to do it. Disney isn't thinking just about this year with this kind of topic - it's gotta be thinking generational.

RCID's biggest asset to Disney is CONTROL. So I wouldn't expect the $$ to be the biggest factor for Disney - but more about control and being able to steer the ship long term.
I really do hope you are right.
And I do agree, if WDW does not want to be bogged down with red tape, they must play nice.
This is unknown territory. It is fun to speculate.

Dranth

I don’t disagree. I do find that more and more people I know from both political parties are just sick and tired of the extremes. Candidates from either party who move towards the center are attacked from their own party and pushed out. It’s not just a GOP criticism,the Dems are no better, it just happens to be republicans in this case. Did I read right that 1 guy crossed party lines and voted against this RCID punishment? This is a pretty extreme action so I’m surprised there aren’t more pro-business Republicans who thought it was a bad idea. Shows that moderates aren’t getting elected at all.
Moderates don’t win primaries in all these ”safe” districts. I really wish more than the die hards would come out to vote during those as it would help the huge chuck of people in the middle to rein in the extremes.

Disstevefan1

That said, I think the people that are clamoring for a Disney response, and insisting they are being "silent" because they have yet to make a statement one business day later, are being silly. The absolute dumbest thing Disney could do right now is fight this out in the press. People are just caught up in the drama of it all and want their fix. Disney will respond in due time in a legally appropriate way. We will probably get a terse statement this week sometime, but any lawyer would be idiotic to recommend that they do anything more.
Ha, you are right, Disney responding to stuff is what got all of us in the mess in the first place.
That said, no matter how they reply, half of the folks will agree with it and half will not.

Lilofan

I can’t stand that show but the second woman from Miami (Spanish/Cuban accent) was 100% spot on, this bill is exactly the opposite of traditional Rep values, I stopped halfway through the third woman when she started talking about race and other political talking points that had absolutely nothing to do with either bill.
The Miami based pro Republican host Ana Navarro of the View has some good points and is definitely no friend of the previous one in charge. She regards turds with more respect.

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
You're asking where the PR effort is... are given an example.. then want to ask where the non-PR is?

Disney isn't in a rush... delays hurt the gov more than they hurt Disney.
If they are considering going the 1a retaliation route, I wonder if they might remain completely silent in the press for as long as possible for the purposes of arguing in court that their speech was indeed curtailed due to fears of additional retribution by the government. No public statement, especially after being so vocal prior to the actions of the state of Florida against them, might be helpful.

GimpYancIent

If they are considering going the 1a retaliation route, I wonder if they might remain completely silent in the press for as long as possible for the purposes of arguing in court that their speech was indeed curtailed due to fears of additional retribution by the government. No public statement, especially after being so vocal prior to the actions of the state or Florida against them, might be helpful.
I would wager that TWDC has received substantial legal advice from multiple counselors and usually that advise begins with staying quiet and keeping the mouth shut just allow the lawyers to do their jobs.

Goofyernmost

Figuring out how to essentially divide and absorb another county takes time. Nobody would have picked a 14 month start-to-finish timeline if this was actually planned. As of right now, the counties cannot seek legislative assistance until March 2023.
That is true, but the fact that we have heard nothing from Anaheim makes me think that the legal troops are being called into strategy meetings. I don't think that Disney is going to spend a lot of time setting up details, just defending their rights. If the state wants to do that it is up to them to figure out how to make that happen. Disney has very little to gain by helping them. If they cannot figure out a strategy in a year, it cannot be stopped. I personally think that Florida has sent a message that they cannot be trusted to make deals to get more industry to get into the state. If a governor can break an agreement whenever he/she gets mad at the company or one of its employees. The whole thing is just the authoritarian government of Florida flexing its imaginary muscle.

Disney Analyst

I can’t stand that show but the second woman from Miami (Spanish/Cuban accent) was 100% spot on, this bill is exactly the opposite of traditional Rep values, I stopped halfway through the third woman when she started talking about race and other political talking points that had absolutely nothing to do with either bill.

Ana Navarro is brilliant. She is a republican, although socially quite progressive.

Outspoken against Trump and the craziness the GOP has been going through. I always appreciate her takes as she is actually very reasonable.

At times she can make you wonder why she still calls herself a Republican, but she believes in the party still and thinks they can come back around.

Disney Analyst

I should say I don't necessarily think they would do that, as you are right The View is part of the News Division, but I mean, there are many big stories The View does not discuss, so I did think it was possible this story could be left alone.

lazyboy97o

That is true, but the fact that we have heard nothing from Anaheim makes me think that the legal troops are being called into strategy meetings. I don't think that Disney is going to spend a lot of time setting up details, just defending their rights. If the state wants to do that it is up to them to figure out how to make that happen. Disney has very little to gain by helping them. If they cannot figure out a strategy in a year, it cannot be stopped. I personally think that Florida has sent a message that they cannot be trusted to make deals to get more industry to get into the state. If a governor can break an agreement whenever he/she gets mad at the company or one of its employees. The whole thing is just the authoritarian government of Florida flexing its imaginary muscle.
It’s the impacted counties that only have a little more than a year to figure out their plan and get it in motion. They can hope the whole thing is stalled but they can’t bank on that. It’s also not just Orange and Osceola Counties that have to figure this out, but the counties that host the other districts being dissolved, that don’t have a giant company likely coming to take up the fight.

GladToBeHear

Why do you say that it looks like states have the right to do that?

I can understand that stance. Although I would argue it’s impossible.
Didn't say they did. The government oversteps its bounds all the time. We'll have to see how this plays out as far as the legality.

And I don't think it's impossible. Lots of great companies stay out of hot-button political/cultural issues all the time. Wish there were more.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If they are considering going the 1a retaliation route, I wonder if they might remain completely silent in the press for as long as possible for the purposes of arguing in court that their speech was indeed curtailed due to fears of additional retribution by the government. No public statement, especially after being so vocal prior to the actions of the state of Florida against them, might be helpful.

I don't think so.. here's what I threw my bet on..

My bets are on the following...

1. RCID sue the state over the dissolution citing the Reedy Creek Act and the attack on their municipal powers - with the Bonds being the big hammer
  2. The counties sue the state over the way the dissolution is structured and the consequences and division of stuff
  3. No dissolution happens in the next 3-5 years as all as the case is bogged down in courts
I bet TWDC does not directly challenge the law on 1A grounds because it's a fight they don't really need *YET*. They let the RCID issue stay a state issue and let that process play out.. as RCID likely has a strong position to tear up the law as written now.

Then, TWDC only enters the fray on 1A claims if the challenges to the law faulter and TWDC opens up the potential nuclear war with the GOP and the national stage. I think it's in Disney's interest to downplay this whole thing and suggest it will all be cleared up in the existing courts.. without something that could lead to getting blood on their hands directly.

Letting RCID defeat this on existing laws is cleaner.. and avoids escalating the Disney vs GOP fight. I don't think Disney is eager to win that fight and would rather not have it in the news.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom