News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

el_super

I don't anticipate anything will come of this, seems to be a lot of foolish bluster from some politicians who want to do battle with the state's largest private employer in order to score cheap political points with their "base."

Sigh.

They don't want to do battle at all. They just need to look like they are. Which is why nothing will come of this and Disney will keep doing Disney.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I do wonder…what would the impact of this be on Disney?

My bet? Lake Nona development is stopped, those jobs are turned either 100% remote, or moved to a more business friendly state presently not at the forefront of the culture war, like North Carolina or Virginia.

Much further down the line, Disney lowers investment into WDW and focuses on developments in other geos.

In the meanwhile, Florida's tax revenues dip, and job losses are blamed solely on the politicians who pushed Disney out.

GimpYancIent

My bet? Lake Nona development is stopped, those jobs are turned either 100% remote, or moved to a more business friendly state presently not at the forefront of the culture war, like North Carolina or Virginia.

Much further down the line, Disney lowers investment into WDW and focuses on developments in other geos.

In the meanwhile, Florida's tax revenues dip, and job losses are blamed solely on the politicians who pushed Disney out.
Kind of like what CA and Anaheim is doing to DL, Hmmmmm.

sullyinMT

I don't anticipate anything will come of this, seems to be a lot of foolish bluster from some politicians who want to do battle with the state's largest private employer in order to score cheap political points with their "base."

Sigh.
It’s poorly executed bluster, at that.

“A company like Disney should pay for their own services and be subject to all of the laws and regulatory oversight of other companies. Oh, wait, that’s what RCDD is? Well, never mind. We should dissolve that and pass everything on to the counties and further stretch their budgets and respective departments.”

I realize Reedy Creek has its issues, seemingly with SES pay and staffing. Nothing any municipality doesn’t face regularly. And WDW/RCDD is the size of a municipality. But it’s not as if you drive around on potholed roads, get stuck in resort elevators, drink leaded water, and have rolling brownouts just because TDO largely self-governs their utilities and safety services. Adding their issues and operations to Orange and Osceola counties seems like a recipe for disaster at first glance.

Brian

I don't see that happening unless the RCID dissolution proposal gets support from folks like Gov. DeSantis, Speaker Sprowls and (Senate) President Simpson, which I don't expect to happen either. Even if it did, I'd say the company's response might be to threaten action like this without actually having any plans to do it.

mkt

Premium Member
I wish the largest private employer would also stop trying to score cheap political points as well!

You mean Wal Mart?

Anyway, it's more strategic than that. Disney is a major MAJOR employer of LGBTQ+ people in Florida, offering them full benefits long before gay marriage was legal.

In times of massive staff shortages, Disney cannot afford to have walkouts and resignations at the parks.

This is Disney standing up for its CMs because it has no choice.

UNCgolf

I'm trying to avoid any political stance in this thread out of respect to the site, so I'll just say this is not something that will be limited to one side. The enforcement mechanism included in this bill can be weaponized against conservative interests just as easily as it can be weaponized against liberal interests. It's a looming disaster for the judicial system.

mkt

Premium Member
Given the current political state in Florida, I can totally see this happening. That being said I feel like it would be a total disaster.
The governor that sends Disney away will lose horribly because they will have to find other ways to plug the Disney sized hole in the state's tax revenue and budgets.

The only way to do that is issue debt, never a good option (see Puerto Rico); or raise taxes, also a bad option (see California). Florida's public services are already a joke, so there's not much more there to remove.

Disney4Lyfe

By begrudgingly supporting its employees who begged them to (with threats to walk-out otherwise)?
Well that’s an interesting perspective. Let’s assume a large percentage of Disney Employees really feel under attack from this bill.

Has Disney now done enough to support these employees?

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
They should do this anyway. Not sure why they keep investing in sweltering swampland when the climate is a-changin.

They already are finding they can’t attract families to come during the 3 months that kids are actually not in school, they haven’t raised summer ticket prices in a few years now, and they’ve pulled millions of DVC points out of the summer weeks.

Build a park in Des Moines. Or Syracuse. Or Pittsburgh.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom